Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Arms & Armour of Myth & Legends Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dyrnwyn-"White Hilt" from Welsh mythology, the sword of Rhydderch Hael
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
The Spear of Destiny: the alleged spear with which Longinus stabbed Christ while on the cross.

And I believe it, or one of the many supposed Spears of Destiny, was used by St. Maurice, at least according to legend. I just saw an interesting show about the Holy Lance on one of those educational channels.

There are actually several names for some of the war gear used by the most famous medieval legendary hero. Arthur's war gear are called by several interesting names in the story "Kilhwch and Olwen" in The Mabinogion, translated by Lady Charlotte E. Guest. These stories are closer to the Celtic roots of the Arthtur legends than many of the later Arthurian romances.

In "Kilhwch and Olwen", Arthur calls his sword Caledvwlch, his lance Rhongomyant, his shield Wynebgwrthucher, and his dagger Carnwenhau. Lady Guest translated the name of the sword as "hard-breaker", the shield as "night-gainsayer", and the knife as "white-haft". Later translators added "cutting-spear" for the lance.

Some other figures had more than one named weapon. Apparently, El Cid also had a sword named Colada, as well as Tizona.

There are also some weapons and armour in legends that don't have names as such, but are connected to legendary heroes. Hereward the Wake used a battle-axe to kill the polar bear, known as the Fairy Bear, kept in Gilbert of Ghent's courtyard. Huon of Bordeaux obtained the magic coat of mail stolen from the Fairy King Oberon. Only one wearing this armour could defeat the giant Angoulafre.

Interesting stuff. Happy

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:
The Spear of Destiny: the alleged spear with which Longinus stabbed Christ while on the cross.

In "Kilhwch and Olwen", Arthur calls his sword Caledvwlch, his lance Rhongomyant, his shield Wynebgwrthucher, and his dagger Carnwenhau. Lady Guest translated the name of the sword as "hard-breaker", the shield as "night-gainsayer", and the knife as "white-haft". Later translators added "cutting-spear" for the lance.

And his wife came after the dagger in his list of precious things. :-) Good to know she was in there somewhere..

What about the sword of Michael the Archangel? There's also the whole slew of weapons from Middle Earth, depending how far afield you wish to venture...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shawn Shaw wrote:
And his wife came after the dagger in his list of precious things. :-) Good to know she was in there somewhere..

What about the sword of Michael the Archangel? There's also the whole slew of weapons from Middle Earth, depending how far afield you wish to venture...

Was Guinevere (or Gwenhwyvar as it's spelled in The Mabinogion) a weapon then? Happy I guess she might be, considering she was the most dangerous of all, at least in the later versions of the story. Her infidelity helped destroy Arthur's idyllic kingdom.

If you want to consider Tolkien's works as modern folklore, modern legends, as was his possible purpose, then swords like Narsil and it's remade version Anduril, could certainly be added to the list, along with a host of other weapons and armour of note (Glamdring, Orcrist, Sting, the Mithril shirt, etc.). Tolkien seems to have been greatly influenced by the legends containing mention of named and prominent arms and armour.

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Jim Bond

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everybody. I am taking a lot of notes lol.

I would like to keep items from modern works off of my list. I am compiling this list as research for a work of fiction I am working on. I wouldn't want to infringe on anyone's (copy)rights.

I was just reading up a little on The Mahābhārata. There are a lot of interesting weapons in it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabharata

jim

PS Sorry I'm giving you guys Wikipedia links when some of you are taking exerpts from books directly lol. I am still working on my small research library...

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/JIMBONDTRACKS
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From the Trojan War and shortly thereafter:

The great bow of Odysseus, and his boar's tusk helm.

Achilles' armor (both the original and the set Hephaestus forged for him.)

Paris was good with a bow, but I don't remember if he had a particularly special one. He did poison his arrows, though.

Ditto for Teucer/Teukros, minus the poison.

Great Ajax had a special bull-hide shield, if I recall correctly.

Ares appeared on the battlefield in armor, I think.

Hector's armor was golden, unless I'm mistaken.

Did Diomedon, Menelaos, and Agamemnon have anything special besides just high-quality stuff? I want to say Menelaos had a belt of some kind, but I don't know if that counts as armor.

Needless to say, double-check the ones where my memory's shaky.

You could probably count David's sling from the Bible as well. Which reminds me of a joke:

An archeologist finds a corpse in the Israeli desert, mummified from the harsh conditions. He packs it up and ships it back to a museum with a note saying, "3000 year old body of a man who died of heart failure."

The museum gives him a call several months later: "We've run tests on the mummy you found, and he's not only 3000 years old, he did die of heart failure! How did you know?"

The archeologist replies: "Simple. He had a note in his hand that read '10,000 shekels on Goliath.'"

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also mentioned in the Icelandic Sagas are Egil Skalla-Grimursson's two swords, Nadr and Dragvandil, wielded during the holmgang with Ljot, the berserker.

(Currently I am living in Iceland, not too far away from many of the sites mentioned in Egil's saga.. How awesome is that? Big Grin)

Edited to add:

I'm not sure if these have been mentioned yet, but Norse Mythology has tons of great weapons.

There are the spears of the Valkyries, which are described as having flaming barbs.

There is Hofud, which is the sword belonging to Heimdall (guardian of Bifrost).

There is Tyrfing, made by the dwarves Dvalin and Durin. It was sword with a golden hilt that would never miss a stroke, would never rust and would cut through stone and iron as easily as through cloth. The dwarves put a curse on Tyrfing, that it would cause "three great evils," and (being the way of things) the sword of course ended up being the bane of many of its owners.

One of the deadliest is the sword Laevateinn, which was forged by Volund (aka Weyland the Smith). Laevateinn made its wielder invincible in battle, but could also fight on its own without even being held. It is also known as the "Wounding Wand" or the "Staff of Destruction". Laevateinn was considered dangerous even to the gods themselves, and so was taken from Volund and brought to Asgard, where it passed into the hands of the god Freyr. At Ragnarök, Freyr would ultimately fall to his own blade, and Surtr (lord of the realm of fire) would used Laetvateinn to cut Yggdrasil's roots and so begin the destruction of the universe.

Then in Finnish Mythology, (which is fascinating btw!), we have the artifacts which Ilmarinen was tasked with forging, a Golden Bow being one of them.

There are many more....that's what I could think of at the moment though.

Keep posting these, this is a great thread! Big Grin

Wa bið þam þe sceal of langoþe leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
Justin Roland

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had never thought about the sheer amount of "mythical" weapons before, great thread !!! would Michaels flaming sword be in this category or would that be more "christian mythology" as the Roland sword was said to contain a few highly religous items such as hair tooth and blood if I recall correctly

I'm Partial to the Roland Sword for obvious reasons lol Cool
T.L. Johnson

PostPosted: Mon 12 Feb, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shawn Shaw wrote:
Dyrnwyn-"White Hilt" from Welsh mythology, the sword of Rhydderch Hael

Notable for being the only overt weapon among the collected Thirteen Treasures of the Britons. Everything else are fancy household goods (except for the whetstone).

I wonder if SG-1 will ever get ahold of the sucker. Wink
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Mon 12 Feb, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why not? Didn't they get their hands on Excalibur at some point?

:-)

That could be even better than the knight vs. samurai question...supposing I had Excalibur and you had Dyrnwyn...
T.L. Johnson

PostPosted: Mon 12 Feb, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dyrnwyn bursts into flame when held. Excalibur just looks shiny. Wink

(Of course, it's a matter of interpretation as to when the White Hilt lit up like a fougasse. There are those who'd say it'd burst into flame in the hands of the unworthy, thus denying them the ability to wield it for long. Others would say it went aflame only in the hands of a noble, as a sign of their divine grace)

Richard Fay wrote:
...Was Guinevere (or Gwenhwyvar as it's spelled in The Mabinogion) a weapon then? Happy I guess she might be, considering she was the most dangerous of all, at least in the later versions of the story. Her infidelity helped destroy Arthur's idyllic kingdom. ...

Two warring houses within the circle of the Round Table helped a ways, too. Especially when the affair further widened the feud as Lancelot and Gawain clashed after Guinevere's rescue.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 13 Feb, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's a book I had to read for a study abroad class that is actually a collection of stories about Irish mythology and legends. It's called Over Nine Waves by Marie Heaney. I cannot say enough great things about this book. It opens with early stories and accounts of the Tuatha de Danaan and takes the reader through various "cycles" of Irish myths (The Mythological Cycle, the Ulster Cycle, and on to the early days of Christianity in Ireland). And of course, there are plenty of events in which arms and armour are involved. Wink

My favorite of these stories is called 'The Children of Lir.' It's about the three children of King Lir who were transformed into swans by their nanny who did so because she was jealous of the children. I'll say no except that after you read the story, you'll know why it's illegal to kill a swan in Ireland. I must confess, I cried after reading this story... Cry

Oh, and if we're still talking about myths and stories, let's not forget Chaucer's The Canturbury Tales. Idea

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Wed 21 Feb, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: A few more legendary arms...         Reply with quote

Hello all!

I came across a few names of legendary arms in Paul Martin's Arms and Armour from the 9th to the 17th Century. Martin mentions the luminous "Fobitter", the Irwing's sword captured from the dwarfs; "Dusefokar", a scimitar given by the Prophet Mohammed; "Almace", the sword of Bishop Turpin of Rheims; "Mulager" belonging to Ganelon; and others that he doesn't mention the owner such as "Precieuse", "Hauteclaire", "Rose", and "Saxe".

I hope these were interesting additions to the list.

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

There are Muramase´s cursed or demon sabers, Hades´ helmet, Karttikeya´s spear, Indra´s thunder blade or his lighning bolts named Vajra, the shield fo Galahad (Whit a cross painted with the blodd of Joseph of Arimathea), Cronus´sickle made of Adamantine and able to cut through anything, Grid's Rod, an iron staff given to Thor so he could kill the Troll King. Grid also gave him the "Armor of Thor" , Kongō, A trident-shaped staff which emits a bright light in the darkness. It gives a man wisdom and insight. (The staff belonged originally to the Japanese mountain-god Koya-no-Myoin)
Zulfiqar is the name of the sword of Ali ibn Abu Talib, the son-in-law of Muhammad and the model for Islamic chivalry, The Staff of Sun Wukong; while not exactly mythology, the staff of the Monkey King could alter its size whenever Sun Wukong told it to. Kusanagi-no-tsurugi, the sword of the Japanese God Susanoo, the Persian Shamshir-e Zomorrodnegar which originally belonged to King Solomon and used to kill the invulnerable demon Fulad-zereh by someone wich i don´t know, Nothung, the sword from Die Walküre, The Sword of Peleus, a magic sword that makes its wielder victorious in the battle or the hunt, Curtana, the magical sword of Ogier the Dane. The Sword of Death, A grey sword that can a kill a person if you just cut a lock of their hair off. Clarent, the sword in the stone which Arthur pulled free to become King of Britain, The Grail Sword, a cracked holy sword which Sir Percival bonded back together, though the crack remained, Cernwennan which was Arthur's dagger, Arondite, Lancelot's sword, Hofud, the sword of Heimdall, the guardian of Bifrost, Tyrfing (also Tirfing or Tervingi), the cursed sword of Svafrlami, Amenonuhoko (heavenly spear), in japanese mythology, the spear used by the Shinto deities Izanagi and Izanami to create the world, Rhongomiant, which was the spear of King Arthur. The flaming spears of the Valkyries, Trishula the trident of Shiva, The trident of Poseidon (Used to create horses and water sources), the Gandiva is Arjuna's bow in The Bhagavad-Gita, Apollo´s and Cupid´s Bows , Babr-e Bayan, the mythical coat worn by the Persian legendary hero Rostam in combat, it was fire-proof, water-proof and weapon-proof , The Hide of Leviathan was supposedly able to be turned into everlasting clothing or impenetrable suits of armor, Wigar the armor of King Arthur, Dullahan (Who somatimes is depicted as a headless armour too), The Falcon Cloak owned by Freyja, it allows the wielder to turn into a falcon and fly , Tarnkappe is Sigurd's magical cloak that made the wearer invisible, the fire sword of Uriel the Archangel, The fire swords of the Seraphims, Again, the fire sword, luminous armour and lance of Saint Michael the Archangel, the spear of Saint George, The axe of the Indian hero Parasu-Rama (It means, Rama with Axe, so his true name is Rama), the swords of Kali and Durga (Who shared the weaponry of other Gods too), the Bow of Rama wich can shoot arrows wich can destroy mountains, the Bow of Ravanna (A bow wich can shoot thousands of arrows in a second, maybe becouse it´s wielder Ravanna had a lot of arms... ), Thanatos Sickle, Radamanthys´ bow, Zeus´ bolts, Briareo´s thousand swords and shields. Saint Peter´s sword...

¨Sólo me desenvainarás por honor y nunca me envainarás sin gloria¨

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Arms & Armour of Myth & Legends
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: