Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Sword of Auray? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

I just thought I would let all of you know that you convinced me; I just ordered the MRL Auray from Kult of Athena. I'll give a little feedback about what it's like when it comes, but I won't go too in-depth in case someone ever does a review (I'll just say whether or not it's worth the money).

I know it's no heirloom piece, but I hope it's a decent sword for $150! Happy

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds good. I'd wanted to get my youngest son an Albion Bayeaux for his birthday but I couldn't make it happen. He's taken a liking to that new Type XIV from MRL, so I ordered that one for him today. That should keep him happy for a while.

Please give us your full impressions of the Auray, unless of course you're hinting that you'll be doing a review. Otherwise I'd rather get some feedback now rather than worry about scooping some shadow review down the road.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah Patrick,

That's really cool that your son appreciates our little hobby. It's especially nice that since you are his father he knows the difference between a nice sword and the other variety. When I was around his age I had no notion- which probably led to my first sword purchase at age 16- a $99 "barbarian sword" with a glorious and sizable brass guard and cross which I promptly took outside struck a tree and bent the very thin blade!

Jeremy
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Sounds good. I'd wanted to get my youngest son an Albion Bayeaux for his birthday but I couldn't make it happen. He's taken a liking to that new Type XIV from MRL, so I ordered that one for him today. That should keep him happy for a while.

Please give us your full impressions of the Auray, unless of course you're hinting that you'll be doing a review. Otherwise I'd rather get some feedback now rather than worry about scooping some shadow review down the road.

Richard: Or you could just send Patrick a P.M. with the full impressions and this wouldn't compromise an official review for the rest of us later. Idea Just an idea ? ( Assuming that an official review is in the works ? )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Richard: Or you could just send Patrick a P.M. with the full impressions and this wouldn't compromise an official review for the rest of us later. Idea Just an idea ? ( Assuming that an official review is in the works ? )

No one has volunteered to write an official review of this sword. However, I'd urge anyone who's willing to type up a forum post as a review to read this: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=9074

Official hands-on reviews offer a far greater benefit to the community than a forum post. They really aren't that hard to do, and we can and will help all along the way. Richard may not be interested in doing an official review, though, and that's fine, of course.

I'd also urge people to be patient and wait for something to be published (assuming it's in the works) if they want a lot of good info. Patience, grasshoppers. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

There's no need to overcomplicate things. My comment was an observation, nothing more. I only have a mild curiosity concerning this sword so I honestly care very little if either a review or a post is made concerning it. On the other hand, I don't think participants should feel hamstrung in posting their comments on a purchase because someone, sometime, might just possibly do a review. That might be benificial for the website but it isn't for the larger community, which needs as much information as it can get.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Ah Patrick,

That's really cool that your son appreciates our little hobby. It's especially nice that since you are his father he knows the difference between a nice sword and the other variety. When I was around his age I had no notion- which probably led to my first sword purchase at age 16- a $99 "barbarian sword" with a glorious and sizable brass guard and cross which I promptly took outside struck a tree and bent the very thin blade!

Jeremy

Very ture. I wish I'd had someone around when I was that age (and older). I wouldn't have waisted so much money and destroyed so many swords.
Big Grin

I think MRL products are a good quality level for him right now. If he still has an interest when he's 16-18 we'll see about moving up, but right now I really don't want to invest a big amount into something that might be a passing phase.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
On the other hand, I don't think participants should feel hamstrung in posting their comments on a purchase because someone, sometime, might just possibly do a review. That might be benificial for the website but it isn't for the larger community, which needs as much information as it can get.

All I've asked is that people considering writing a lengthy review as a forum post should consider doing a formal review. If they don't want to do a review, then nobody can or will stop them from posting in the forums. No one is required to write a formal review, after all. Happy We've also never asked someone not to post because someone else might be doing a review in the future.

Patrick, as you well know, our articles, reviews, etc. get far more hits than our forums. A formal review will be easier for people to find and will be more widely read, by forum viewers and others, than a forum post. If someone is going to put in effort to type up a thorough review, I'd prefer to see that effort have its maximum impact. That's all. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Sat 10 Feb, 2007 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Ah Patrick,

Jeremy

Very ture. I wish I'd had someone around when I was that age (and older). I wouldn't have waisted so much money and destroyed so many swords.
Big Grin

I think MRL products are a good quality level for him right now. If he still has an interest when he's 16-18 we'll see about moving up, but right now I really don't want to invest a big amount into something that might be a passing phase.

Patrick, its great to see another young person like myself interested in this passion of ours! I;ve been trying to see if anyone in my highschool has an interst in this stuff, but it seems to me that most students my age are only interested in girls, rap music, and cars Sad. And those that are somewhat interested think call me stupid and say "everyone knows japanese swords are better than those european 20lb iron crap things"

But back on topic, I'm very interested in seeing your impressions on this sword, Richard. Thanks for being willing to tell us about how you feel when it comes to you. As I'm sure everyone agrees, it is such a joy to see a review of a new sword, even if it isn't all that great. It's new information for a large porportion of us! I've been looking at the auray a little and I'm a little turned off by the wood handle. Other than that, it looks very beautiful!

So thanks for your thoghts when it arrives Wink !
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let me see if I can further clarify the post vs. review issue before we return to the thread at hand:

People are encouraged to post their thoughts on their purchases. This is valuable to the forum community and always has been. However, there are people that take our standard review format and post it on the forums, and/or include large amounts of text about an item. My suggestion targets these alone. Text resulting from that much effort deserves a longer lifespan than a forum post. All it would need to turn it into a formal review are some pics and a little extra work. In that case, a formal review isn't much harder to do than the afore-mentioned post and impacts a wider audience for a longer period of time.

Regarding newsworthiness, I believe I may have been unclear as well. Once someone posts a large amount of text on the forum, we won't take that text and make it a formal review. If that poster wants to rework it and submit something with substantive changes, we'll consider publishing it. Anyone not intending to do a formal review (for whatever reason) is free, as always, to post as much as they want to. Also, if someone else decides to do a review later, we'll likely run with it, since every author's voice and experiences are unique.

Now, back to the thread...

Happy

ChadA

Richard Fay

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Auray arrived...         Reply with quote

Hello all!

Okay, the MRL Auray arrived today. Here are my impressions of this Windlass offering.

In general, it's not bad for an MRL sword. It feels alright in the hand. For it's supposed weight of 2 lbs 2 oz, it still has a positive "blade presence" without being overly heavy. The balance point seems to be about 4 or 4.5 inches from the cross, measured very roughly by balancing it on the arm of my rocking chair. I can't comment on the centre of percussion; I couldn't really figure out where that was.

WIndlass does pretty well in the tempering of the blades, and this seems to be no exception. I did a quick temper test, bending it carefully against the floor and making sure it returned to true. I don't intend on doing it again; I don't want to damage the blade. It's flexible without being overly flexible. I had no problem thrusting the blade (unsharpened) through the cardboard box it came in, through both walls of it if I also held the box. The point also seemed to go where I wanted it to; I aimed for tape and stickers on the box, and had no trouble keeping the point where I was aiming for.

I think this one may actually be a bit stiffer than the typical MRL/Windlass blade. This may be due to the hollow grinding. There is a slight distal taper toward the tip, but it doesn't have as much distal taper as some of my MRL/Windlasses. I think they opted to reduce weight more by hollow grinding than distal taper, which may have resulted in a fairly stiff blade. It might not be as stiff as some would like, but it's not "floppy" or "whippy" by any means. I own some Windlass swords that bend very easily under their own weight if you place the point on the floor, but this takes some effort to bend.

The hollw grinding is subtle; it basically causes the central ridge to be more prominent than in MRL/Windlass blades lacking the hollow grinding. The hollow grinding is actually well done for a $150 sword; the shallow curve ends well before the edge. I wouldn't necessarily call it a thickened edge, but since the hollow grinding does't go right to the edge, and it has the typical Windlass semi-sharp edge, the edge doesn't appear to be rendered too thin by the hollow grinding. The hollow grinding seems to gradually peter out toward the point.

The blade profile is fairly nice and even, but it seems typical of Windlass swords of this type in that it's somewhere between an Oakeshott XV and an Oakeshott XVIII. The width of the blade near the point seems a bit broad for a typical type XV. It's still a sword that seems designed more for thrusting than cutting, since it's relatively narrow near where the centre of percussion should be (and probably is).

The end of the tang is peened over the pommel. It's ground smooth, although there are a few minor pits and dings. It doesn't look bad unless you examine it closely. My biggest complaint is that the pommel is turned a bit off-centre, as if they ground the slot for the tang cockeyed. This isn't enough for me to return the sword, but it may be enough to turn others off from the one I received. It probably isn't enough to cause any sort of handling problems.

The pommel is otherwise fairly well made, with an interesting shape. The central ridge in the pommel makes a nice compliment to the ridge in the blade and cross, but they line up better on one side than the other. The cross is a bit uneven; one of the overturned ends appears slightly thicker than the other. Again, these things may turn some people off from this sword, but they are minor, and not apparent from a distance.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the fit of the sword. Everything seems pretty tight. The cross doesn't seem to wiggle, and the grip core doesn't seem to twist. The slot cut in the cross for the shoulders of the blade isn't overly large, but it is the usual rectangular groove. It's not as wide as on some Windlass swords, and there is no round hole in the centre. The groove could have been cut a bit more smoothly, though.

The wooden grip isn't actually that bad. It's rather attractive. The wood is stained a nice brown color, and it has a nice grain. I may leave it as-is, at least for now.

Overall, there are some flaws that might offend some, but it's an okay sword for the money. It feels pretty good in the hand, and the blade seems well done. And, it's a nice change from the typical overly-flexible Windlass blade. The sword also looks much better in person than in the photos on the various dealer web sites.

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Auray arrived...         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:

There is a slight distal taper toward the tip, but it doesn't have as much distal taper as some of my MRL/Windlasses. I think they opted to reduce weight more by hollow grinding than distal taper, which may have resulted in a fairly stiff blade. It might not be as stiff as some would like, but it's not "floppy" or "whippy" by any means. I own some Windlass swords that bend very easily under their own weight if you place the point on the floor, but this takes some effort to bend.

Just a thought about distal taper: A sword with a lot of profile taper needs a lot less distal taper to be good handling than a blade that stays wide ( wider ? ) right up to the tip.

This might explain why your sword feels O.K. even without a lot of distal taper.

A sword with strait parallel edges finishing in a wide point would balance the same with a flat grind or with hollow grinding: The hollow grinding is a factor in adjusting the weight of a sword and maybe stiffness but it is the combination of distal taper and profile taper of the blade that affects the handling the most as far as the blade's balance is concerned. The weight of the tang + guard + pommel are obviously also important. ( At least this is my theory about it ....... not a statement of fact. Just an opinion for discussion.)

Thank for your informal review of the sword and congratulation i.e. I'm happy if you're happy with it, sounds like a good buy for the price. Big Grin

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It sounds like a pretty good buy for the price. I'm glad you made the jump and bought it. The imperfections sound acceptable for a sword in this price range. I wondered about the wood grip too. I glad it's fairly attractive. The Oakeshott "Type IV" Eek! I ordered for my son is on backorder, as I expected. MRL has a usual habit of putting things into their catalog before they're actually ready for sale.

Congrats, it's already nice to get a new play pretty. Big Grin
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Auray arrived...         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Just a thought about distal taper: A sword with a lot of profile taper needs a lot less distal taper to be good handling than a blade that stays wide ( wider ? ) right up to the tip.

Hi Jean!

You're probably pretty well on the mark with that observation. The sword does have a fairly decent profile taper, even if it's not quite of a typical type XV shape. There is much less mass near the point than a wider blade of the same length, so there is less of a need for a pronounced distal taper. I think this may make it a bit stiffer than similar MRL blades with less profile taper.

Patrick Kelly wrote:

It sounds like a pretty good buy for the price. I'm glad you made the jump and bought it. The imperfections sound acceptable for a sword in this price range. I wondered about the wood grip too. I glad it's fairly attractive. The Oakeshott "Type IV" I ordered for my son is on backorder, as I expected. MRL has a usual habit of putting things into their catalog before they're actually ready for sale.

Hi Patrick!

Yeah, I think the flaws are acceptable for a $150 (or even $190) sword. Even the slightly cockeyed pommel is subtle, and is only really noticeable from an above view. The other issues (slightly uneven thickness of the cross) may not be that different from some swords in period.

I was burned by a back-order issue when MRL first switched to WIndlass. I like to order Windlass swords from Kult of Athena, at least they indicate when items are in stock. If I ever manage the money to order the new type XIV, I will probably wait until Kult of Athena gets it in stock (and wait until you give us some feedback about it). MRL can be bad about having new items in stock. I hope your son doesn't have to wait too long!

Stay safe! Happy

Prince Andrew of Armar
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard;

I've never ordered from Kult of Athena but Bob Burns who lives close by the store always has nice things to say about their customer service and integrity and if I wanted anything from the MRL catalogue I think that is the way I would go.

Some of the Generation 2 swords or knives are available there and I'm at least looking at some of these like their Bowie Knives and a falcata that looks O.K. for the price also.

Well made but lower end stuff can be a " rest " for the overworked credit card and still give one a taste of what some types of weapons were like without going broke: One can have a small and select collection of " custom " or high end production weapons and still want a larger variety of things that would cost too much if they all had to be the expensive kind.

One can love " fillet mignon " and still enjoy a greasy cheese burger occasionally. Wink Laughing Out Loud ( Oh, not that I'm comparing your sword to a " cheesy " burger. Razz Laughing Out Loud More a lean cut and healthty hamburger steak. )

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
I was burned by a back-order issue when MRL first switched to WIndlass. I like to order Windlass swords from Kult of Athena, at least they indicate when items are in stock. If I ever manage the money to order the new type XIV, I will probably wait until Kult of Athena gets it in stock (and wait until you give us some feedback about it). MRL can be bad about having new items in stock. I hope your son doesn't have to wait too long!

I agree. I've been burned more than once by MRL too. Normally I get this type item from Kult of Athena also. I've found Ryans service and communication to be very good and when the website says it's in stock, it is. However, in this case Ryan won't get it until MRL starts shipping them and I have a timeline on this one. We're going to a ren. faire in April and I'd like to give this one to my son beforehand.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Auray arrived...         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:
... the MRL Auray arrived today....

Congratulations on your new toy, Richard. Thanks for posting your impressions. The sword sounds like a good buy!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Auray Pictures         Reply with quote

Hello all!

And now, pictures...
(I did the best I could with my camera; my lack of a nice camera is one of the things keeping me from doing a formal review.)

The first photo is of the Auray hilt next to the scabbard. The scabbard is typical Windlass; not period, and rather cheap, but at least they tried to do some nice work on the locket, and the sword fits pretty tightly. Note, if you can, that one of the turned over ends of the cross is slightly thicker than the other. It's no bid deal for me, but some may have issues with it. Nothing that bad, considering it's a $150 sword. I think, overall, the shape of the hilt isn't too bad.

The next photo is of the Auray hilt while it's in its scabbard. Notice the wood on the grip actually doesn't look too bad. And, they did a fairly nice job on the brass ferrules. They are smooth, with no sharp edges. They could make wrapping the grip a problem, though, since they are sunk right into the wood. I kind of like it as it is for the moment.

In the third photo, I wanted to show how the groove for the shoulders of the blade isn't as overly large as in some Windlass swords of the past. It could still be tighter near the blade edge, it's rectangular instead of sloped, but it's not as huge as on some Windlass swords. You can also see that the faces of the pommel are a bit uneven, but it looks fine in the view from the front. I tried to get a view of the hollow grinding, but it's so subtle, and my camera is so bad, that I couldn't get a decent view of it.

In the last photo, I show a full-length view of the sword. The blade profile isn't too bad, although it seems to be mid-way between a true Oakeshott XV and an Oakeshott XVIII. I think the point may be a bit broader than most historical type XV's.

I hope my photos did the sword justice. It's not bad for a Windlass offering, and is definitely worth $150.

Attachment: 29.03 KB
Captured 2004-5-1 00008.JPG
Auray hilt.

Attachment: 33.24 KB
Captured 2004-5-1 00007.JPG
Auray in scabbard.

Attachment: 26.69 KB
Captured 2004-5-1 00004.JPG
Auray cross.

Attachment: 9.49 KB
Captured 2004-5-1 00010.JPG
Auray full view.

Prince Andrew of Armar
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The asymmetry in the cross isn't all that noticeable to me in the pictures. I notice the pommel, but that doesn't look bad. All in all, I think you did pretty well for yourself.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Sword of Auray?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: