Book Help/Opinions for Colonial American weapons
What do y'all think of these books as sources for Colonial/Frontier American weaponry:

"The Knife in Homespun America"
by Madison Grant

&

"Swords & Blades of the American Revolution"
by George C. Newmann

And do y'all have any other suggested reading (tried the site's book store, mainly saw medieval & renaissance era books)?
Neumann's book is excellent. It was my first sword book, and it is still my favorite. Have you read the review(s) of it in the myArmoury bookstore? Here is a link to another review. The book has a nice broad scope, but supplies plenty of smaller details as well. Neumann covers bayonets, swords, knives, axes, and polearms. One of the things I like about Neumann's book is that he suggests that there is more to learn from arms and armor than just the martial aspects--for example one can learn about international trade, etc. based on where the weapons were made and who ultimately used them. I can't recommend it enough. The price on amazon is rather steep, so I'd suggest googling it to find a better deal elsewhere.

Jonathan
Didn't see much on the first title, but you can read about Swords and Blades of the American Revolution in our book store. There are a couple reviews there.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Didn't see much on the first title, but you can read about Swords and Blades of the American Revolution in our book store. There are a couple reviews there.

Thanks Jonathan. I believe I may have leafed through this book before; it sounds familiar from your description.

Thanks Nathan. I saw those in my initial search and am currently fishing for fresh information. The book store is a nice feature.
Neumann's book is the bible on this subject, as far as I know. It's amazing.
Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Neumann's book is excellent. It was my first sword book, and it is still my favorite. Have you read the review(s) of it in the myArmoury bookstore? Here is a link to another review. The book has a nice broad scope, but supplies plenty of smaller details as well. Neumann covers bayonets, swords, knives, axes, and polearms. One of the things I like about Neumann's book is that he suggests that there is more to learn from arms and armor than just the martial aspects--for example one can learn about international trade, etc. based on where the weapons were made and who ultimately used them. I can't recommend it enough. The price on amazon is rather steep, so I'd suggest googling it to find a better deal elsewhere.

Jonathan

Harold Petersons book "ARMS AND ARMOR IN COLONIAL AMERICA 1526-1783 " is very good too.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: