Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Alternate-cut Test Cutting Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Alternate-cut Test Cutting         Reply with quote

I have really enjoyed all of the reports on test cutting with various swords and other reviews. It is very beneficial to see peoples' reactions to how the different swords handle and function when used in full swing. I do not yet own anything beyond an assortment of wasters and have not had the opportunity to do test cutting myself.

I am wondering if anyone has attempted cuts other than the overhands. An overhand being the strongest cut, I am wondering how effective are the less strong cuts such as the zwerchau, krumphau, other underhands, or cuts without follow through such as cutting to pflug or cutting to ochs.

Has anyone attempted these and what do you think about test cutting with these cuts?

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Alternate-cut Test Cutting         Reply with quote

Greg Coffman wrote:
I have really enjoyed all of the reports on test cutting with various swords and other reviews. It is very beneficial to see peoples' reactions to how the different swords handle and function when used in full swing. I do not yet own anything beyond an assortment of wasters and have not had the opportunity to do test cutting myself.

I am wondering if anyone has attempted cuts other than the overhands. An overhand being the strongest cut, I am wondering how effective are the less strong cuts such as the zwerchau, krumphau, other underhands, or cuts without follow through such as cutting to pflug or cutting to ochs.

Has anyone attempted these and what do you think about test cutting with these cuts?

We've done cuts from the tail guard and schliehau cuts against water bottles and it went quite well, despite our bad form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9ZzsPlopRg

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Greg,
Good question. I practice cutting with every single technique that I would practice. And let me tell you, a zwerchau is one of the more powerful strikes you can do... in fact, none of the strikes you listed would be strikes I would really consider "less powerful" necessarily. It would depend on the context of the situation.

That said, some of the strikes don't work as well on things like water-filled plastic jugs as they would on a realistic target, and that needs to always be taken into account. The zwerchau, for instance, does not have quite as much "draw" on the cut, and has a tendency to send a water jug flying rather than cutting cleanly if you don't do it quite right. What most people misunderstand about test cutting, though, is that the goal is not to bisect your stationary target. The goal is to practice proper form and see if you are getting proper edge alignment and follow through.

So with that in mind, don't think of certain cuts as being more powerful or not. Just see if you're doing them right. The tactical applications have already been outlined by the historical masters, so there's no point in doing, for instance, a schietelhau that will cleave your opponent in two clean halves if that's not what the strike is intended for. Happy

edited to add a video of the zwerchau in action. Note that this video is about a year old, and I perform the zwerchau slightly differently at this point, but the mechanics are mostly the same.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

edited to add a video of the zwerchau in action. Note that this video is about a year old, and I perform the zwerchau slightly differently at this point, but the mechanics are mostly the same.

Nice form on that cut Bill

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Nice form on that cut Bill

J

Thanks, Jean! Though to be honest, I don't think so. Or at least, I don't anymore. Happy I do the zwerch a little differently these days, and the way I'm doing it in the video is too telegraphed, in my opinion. But that's the process of discovery, right? Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Alternate-cut Test Cutting
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic