Katzbalger help
I'm trying to find images of katzbalgers with a certain type of pommel construction. Although most katzbalgers have a large, distinctive pommel of flattened mushroom shape, I'm under the impression that some katzbalger pommels are simply flat plates of iron (figure-8 shaped?). I've seen daggers and some swords with this sort of construction, but not any of the katzbalgers. Can any of you post or direct me to examples on katzbalgers?

Also, if any of you can shed light on what this pommel type might indicate about the origin or age of the weapon, I welcome that information as well.

Many thanks!
Not terribly sure if this helps,
but here are some I found with 'thinner' pommels:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by M D McCullough on Wed 31 Jan, 2007 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
That second example is exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I suspect that this is restored hilt, with a new pommel and grip. Not sure about the pommel. In any case, this is what I'm looking for, folks!

Thanks, M.D.!
What was the average length of a katzbalger blade?
Not exactly what you're seeking, but it's a nice piece and a good example of a relatively flattened cap on the pommel side of the hilt.

Attachment: 44.16 KB
katz.jpg
Katzbalager, Dresden Historical Museum
Nicholas Zeman wrote:
What was the average length of a katzbalger blade?

An average of all blades with the distinctive figure-eight hilt would be misleading because the range would be so great. There seems to much variation even among those I'd call "short".
The flattened/truncated mushroom pommel like the one you show here, Nathan, might be within my skill range and that's ultimately what I'm driving for. I have some thick, broad iron bars and I could, theoretically, cut a pommel blank from one of those and bevel the edges with a grinder. Hmmmm....
Cornelius Engelhardt recently posted a link to some photos he had taken. In those photos is this katzbalger:

Attachment: 17.62 KB
5811re2.jpg
Photo copyright Cornelius Engelhardt
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Cornelius Engelhardt recently posted a link to some

Ahhhhhh....Well, that's the first one like this I've seen. Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the tip!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: