Go to page 1, 2  Next

Buying a Sword from By-the-Sword.com
I was just wondering if any of you guys have bought a sword from this site and if you had a good/bad experience. They seem to have the best price on the Hanwei Albercht II at $174.00.

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Medieval...anwei.html

Thanks
Matt
I have moved this topic to the Off-topic Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of general history and other miscellaneous topics relating to arms and armour that do not specifically fit our other forums"

Since you're asking about a company, not a sword, this thread is better placed in this forum.

Thank you.
Some years ago I bought a sword from them, at the same time ordering a couple of wall mount sword hangers - (#OG018LG for what its worth). When the box of sword and hangers arrived at my work place, I sifted through a couple of thousand package peanuts, trying to find that very small item, the hangers. They weren't there. When I called up By The Sword to tell them the hangers had not been sent, the customer service person accused me of lying and trying to cheat them out of some replacement merchandise. She even called my company's receiving department, asking them to check up on me. All this for 2 items worth $12.00 each! They eventually sent me replacements for those hangers that never arrived, but these events left me with a very bad taste in my mouth and the resolve never to buy from them again.

In all fairness, this incident was probably not typical of By The Sword's sales attitude. I was just unlucky that I dealt with one malicious customer service representitive.
I've ordered from them twice. No problems either time, apart from a slight backorder delay.
I've ordered from them before. Nice folks, and a good experience.
Awsome, thanks alot guys. I'll give them a try. Hopefully I wont get an empty box hehe.
I bought a claymore from ByTheSword several years ago. I remember their shipping costs being quite high but beyond that, no problems. ;)
I placed several orders with BtS but never received satisfaction. The products were always out of stock and I wound up cancelling the orders after several months. However, the companies owner was always helpful with suggestions regarding alternate products and always let me know immediately if the products weren't in stock. In the end I couldn't fault them for a slow supplier.
I haven't ever ordered weapons from By The Sword. Just apparrel.

The do seem to have problems with keeping things in inventory. I've run across long backorders before.

But, customer service is really good, and everyone I talked to there was knowladgable about the inventory.

I'd reccomend calling them and asking if an ite is in stock before ordering--especially if you need it by a particular date.
Yeah thats probably a good idea. This is not the first I have head of their inventory problems, Ill give them a call.
Thanks again guys
-Matt
I have ordered from them a few times, but never again. They never have what i want in stock and they are chargeing more then needed on shipping. Plus i had a problam with there return policy. After ordering from kultofathena.com i would never order from by-the-sword. Plus kultofathena.com is the best priced out there(that i can find at least).
Heres the link to the same sword. If you call you can price match it.
http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~PC20...+Sword.htm

i've done a price match with them before and they make it vary easy.
Thanks Matt, not only have I decided to use that site but I am going for the Gen 2 crusader instead.
I ordered my sword (A windlass classic medieval sword...) from BTS, had an ok experience. These days though I go for the more "historicly done" goods that they don't carry.

M.
Well they do have an interesting sword hanging magnet thingy.

An interesting idea at the least.
I ordered a sword from By the Sword once, I had no problems either, that was just before I discovered I lived 25 minutes from Kult of Athena.

Bob
I ordered from them several years ago and had mixed experiences. Being a non-american some hassle is to be expected, but a delayed delivery of 6 months(!!!) without a legitimate cause or reason given is totally unacceptable.I sure hope it turn out better for most of you who have ordered from them.

The packaging was definately not enough for a trans-atlantic journey and my newley aquired claymore arrived with a tip bent in a nice curvature 180 degrees only the first inch and a half. Nothing a god smith couldn't fix fairly well (wanted it shortened an inch anyway).

Service was alwas nice at least and peraps my bad luck and many contacts trying to find out the fate of my arms have leaved them(BtS) a little wiser and more customer-service-oriented.

Hope you get your sword!

Greetings - Henrik de la Motte Wulff
Malmö, Sweden
Alternate supplier
Check out www.dragonflyproducts.com/. I just ordered the Paul Chen SH2034 (2034) Hand and a Half Sword from them at $175 (This is the Hanwei Albrecht II.). I ordered it yesterday (Feb 5th). They listed it as being in stock. I got instant email confirming my order, but it's too early to comment further on their service.

Curt Dunham

Last edited by Curt Dunham on Thu 08 Feb, 2007 6:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
It arrived this morning (Feb 8th) by UPS!

I like it. I already have the blunt version, which is slightly lighter and has a POB slightly closer to the hilt, making the blunt a little more nimble than the sharp. As I get used to the differences, the sharp feels better and better. Of course, I quickly dispatched its shipping box, but more cutting will have to wait until I get a day off. I have a friend who saves neighborhood milk jugs and soda bottles for me, and once a month I have to go to his house and do battle with those vicious containers.
One reason for delays when dealing with the internet only dealers is that they don't keep much of anything in stock. They count on being able to order it from their supplier when you place your order. If the supplier is out of stock, then they cannot fill your order until the supplier's backorder situation is resolved. While they may be able to sell cheaper (no carrying costs), they are more likely to delay your order than a stocking dealer.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: