Longbow Test - Hardy?
I'm looking for a longbow test performed by the Royal Armouries in which they fired at a combination of a padded jack worn over mail. Does anyone have access to the latest version of Hardy's Longbow? I think it may be in one of the appendices.
Re: Longbow Test - Hardy?
Dan Howard wrote:
I'm looking for a longbow test performed by the Royal Armouries in which they fired at a combination of a padded jack worn over mail. Does anyone have access to the latest version of Hardy's Longbow? I think it may be in one of the appendices.

Hi Dan! :)

Are you talking about Longbow: A Social and Military History by Robert Hardy? I have the 1992 edition. Is there a newer edition?

There's "The Target" by Peter Jones in the Appendices. There is one section called "Penetration mechanisms". I think it talks mostly about the penetration of plate. I didn't happen to see any tests on a jack and mail. Maybe it's in a newer edition, or a different source.

Stay safe!
Re: Longbow Test - Hardy?
Dan Howard wrote:

Dan...

I don't think there is a newer edition but will check.
if the R.A. did it it would also be in their journal. I did not see any titles of articles involving jacks and bows.... I will look later when I have a few moments to try more words choices (I have a charter to transcibe and translate, sorry).

RPM
I think it might have been part of the tests at the Royal Military College of Science Testing Ground at Shrivenham. 2004-2005? I don't know where it might be published.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: