Good cutlass buy
First off this site absolutely rocks. Ok, have done some investigation on this. Not looking to be Jack Sparrow. lol I have looked at some of the cutlass blades at museum replicas and they look pretty nice. Trying to keep the price where those are and under as I am not new to collecting but budget conscious. Nice way of putting poor eh. lol Seriously though, I have been told windlass is pretty nice. I am wide open to any and all help on this matter. I have also looked at some of the falchion blades. Would a falchion type blade work for the "pirate era"? Did I mention how much I think this site rocks.
Erin,
Hello and welcome to myArmoury.com. :) This topic has been discussed a few times before. Using the Search function above, I found this:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7944

Happy hunting!
Considering the price, this one may be very good value for the money - http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~5009...Hanger.htm
By The Sword currentlyt has their Dutch Cutlass (which I personally think is neat) with a 10% discount. Very similar to the one in the famous engraving of the pirate Rock Brasilano.
I appreciate all y'alls help. Everything I have seen under a million dollars is looking like windlass. That scottish cutlass is pretty kick ass especially for the money. By the sword sells windlass blades btw. I hear the temper on Windlass is probably the best under 300.
GG Osborne wrote:
By The Sword currentlyt has their Dutch Cutlass (which I personally think is neat) with a 10% discount. Very similar to the one in the famous engraving of the pirate Rock Brasilano.
Is that Dutch Cutlass a new MRL model? It doesn't show in their on-line catalog, or in the latest hard copy I received in the mail (probably 6-8 weeks ago). I understand that MRL used to have a Dutch Cutlass model that they discontinued, so I wonder whether By The Sword just has some old inventory, or if it is that they are quicker than MRL to post up new MRL models.
Steve Grisetti wrote:
GG Osborne wrote:
Is that Dutch Cutlass a new MRL model? It doesn't show in their on-line catalog, or in the latest hard copy I received in the mail (probably 6-8 weeks ago). I understand that MRL used to have a Dutch Cutlass model that they discontinued, so I wonder whether By The Sword just has some old inventory, or if it is that they are quicker than MRL to post up new MRL models.

I thought that the Dutch Cutlass was from the days when MRL carried Del Tin products as well.
Erin I have one in the classifieds for sale a custom cutlass that might interest you.
Good cutlass buy
Hello all,

Regarding the Dutch Cutlass pictured at the by the sword site, I have that sword and it looks to be the discontinued MRL dutch cutlass they offered a couple years ago. The blade is made in India (yes, with the annoying holographic sticker and engraved "made in India" on the blade). The blade was definately not a del tin, although you are correct that they used to sell many sword, including falcions, and I believe at least one cutlass, with del tin blades.

I have actually been looking for a particular MRL cutlass which appeared in catalog number 28, page nine, entitled "short saber/cutlass" which I believe has a del tin blade, since it is advertised as a blade of CK55 Krupp steel, (i.e, the del tin steel of choice).

Like the dutch cutlass you reference, it to has a nice clam shell guard, however, unlike the dutch cutlass, the grip is leather over wood, is not curved downward, and it has a fluted spheverical (sp?) pommel (I think I'll do a separte post on anyone got one to sell and not hijack this thread!).

I like the dutch cutlass, albeit that the grip is very slick and needs work and the weight is a bit high with a rather blade heavy feel, nonetheless, it feels like a good chopper for close boarding action and nice clam shell guard cutlasses are hard to find in that price point.

I will say the dutch cutlass is a very solid sword. Good luck in your cutlass seach!
I was recently informed that MRL is bringing back the Dutch Cutlass, so the BTS piece may be new stock.
Yes yes yes. I've always known that. Quick aren't ya in here. LOLOL Not sure what the big deal is considering it's not period correct or in my opinion attractive at all. Anyway. Thanks for the info on the blade you have for sale but as I said originally I do not want to look like some goofy Jack Sparrow wanna be. LOL I mean I love the movie and all but that's just silly. There are a ton of nice reasonably priced cutlass type blades out there since I have written this. Thanks all and good luck and have a great day.
Erin Phalen wrote:
Yes yes yes. I've always known that. Quick aren't ya in here. LOLOL Not sure what the big deal is considering it's not period correct or in my opinion attractive at all. Anyway. Thanks for the info on the blade you have for sale but as I said originally I do not want to look like some goofy Jack Sparrow wanna be. LOL I mean I love the movie and all but that's just silly. There are a ton of nice reasonably priced cutlass type blades out there since I have written this. Thanks all and good luck and have a great day.

I am not sure what is "silly" about the responses to your query. I don't know what period you are going for, but the suggestions so far are all reasonable for a cutlass for either the 17th or 18th centuries.
I was just simply making my own personal opinion about me dressing up as a movie character etc. Got no problem with costumes, as I have a whole wardrobe of medieval to Ren. stuff but doing the whole "movie/TV" character emulation just strikes me as a bit silly is all. It's all good. Didn't realize we were so "formal" in here. I assure you I am capable and able to be very formal, although I am more comfortable a bit more "relaxed".

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: