DT5169 Rapier
I came across a new (?) rapier model over at the Del Tin website, DT5169, a 16th century Italian rapier. It has some attractive hilt features that I haven't yet seen on modern replicas. 2.8 lbs. 42.5 inches OL

Attachment: 62.33 KB
DT5169FULL_SM.jpg

Attachment: 72.17 KB
DT5169HILT_SM.jpg

Attachment: 27.8 KB
DT5169HILT2_SM.jpg

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Thu 25 Jan, 2007 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
That is, indeed, a new offering from Del Tin and it looks good! Don't know what its inspiration is, but it looks good.

Thanks for posting this.
I think it looks better than good Nathan ;)
Oh my, that's gorgeous!! :surprised:

Any idea how what its price tag is?
I'm not a big rapier fan, but that is a hilt worth drooling over!
Edward Hitchens wrote:

I don't see any price tags on the Del Tin Home site. You must email them for prices. DT5169 isn't easy to find there. Here is a new feature at the site where you will come across it, along with all the other models. Scroll all the way down to the bottom to see a photo line of all the swords. http://www.deltin.it/elenco4.htm

I didn't think I would be buying any more Del Tins, but that sword is very tempting. It looks like it has a type XIX blade (or is there too much profile taper for it to be that type?)
That is indeed a beautiful hilt. I really like it.

Kind regards

Manouchehr
That is, indeed, a nice looking hilt. I have noted that the cast details on a lot of Del Tins tend to be rather smooth or "washed out". This particular example in the photo seems to have nice, crisp details.

Roger Hooper wrote:
...It looks like it has a type XIX blade (or is there too much profile taper for it to be that type?)

I don't think that the Oakeshott blade typology is really applicable to rapiers. Though the blade on this new DT looks to be fairly heavy for a rapier - almost more of a broadsword blade (and certainly there were historical rapiers with very substantial blades!). At any rate, I don't think it is a type XIX, since Oakeshott defines at type XIX as having a hexagonal cross-section. It's hard to tell from the photo, but this blade looks lenticular to me.
Steve Grisetti wrote:
At any rate, I don't think it is a type XIX, since Oakeshott defines at type XIX as having a hexagonal cross-section. It's hard to tell from the photo, but this blade looks lenticular to me.

It looks like a hex to me. Check out between where the fuller ends and the tip. There appears to be a distinct flat that extends past the fuller to the tip.
Chad Arnow wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:
At any rate, I don't think it is a type XIX, since Oakeshott defines at type XIX as having a hexagonal cross-section. It's hard to tell from the photo, but this blade looks lenticular to me.

It looks like a hex to me. Check out between where the fuller ends and the tip. There appears to be a distinct flat that extends past the fuller to the tip.
Sorry, but I don't see it - if you see it as 'distinct', maybe its my eyes or my screen. I went to the Del Tin site to see if there might be another view, but, there was not. I guess someone needs to buy one and do a review!
Edward Hitchens wrote:

The price is 357 Euros, or $462.70. (Shipping costs not included) Del Tin now has a 3 month backlog, considerably less time than it once was.
Blast from the past but has anyone ever bought or handled this sword?
I never did buy it. It would be easier to do that now, as it can presently be found Here at Kult of Athena for $530.00 It's a good looking sword, even with the typical Del Tin rough spots. I wonder how it handles?
Roger Hooper wrote:
I never did buy it. It would be easier to do that now, as it can presently be found Here at Kult of Athena for $530.00 It's a good looking sword, even with the typical Del Tin rough spots. I wonder how it handles?

Same question I have. Searched around the web but did not find much of anything. Might buy it and just hope it is not a pretty turd handling wise. ;)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: