Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Specific question on helm padding materials Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jan, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Specific question on helm padding materials         Reply with quote

Apologies to the admins if this is the wrong forum, I'm looking for a piece of information which specifically relates to examples of historical armour so I'm posing it here.

In discussions on helm padding on this site I've seen a couple of people mention that David Edge has said that of the extant helm paddings held at the Royal Armouries, the vast majority are padded with raw cotton and none are padded with things like wool, horsehair etc.

Does anyone know of a citable published source that documents this specific fact?

I am also curious as to the weight of fabric used to cover period padding, I've experimentally verified that medium-weight linen is comfy and holds up Ok, and that thicker stuff gets wrinkled and uncomfortable but I'd love to know in detail.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al,

I do not recollect that article but he wrote a article on head armour for the neurosurgery December 2000 vol 47,issue 6. The artifacts in this seem to mostly be Wallace collection pieces though (he works there).

I have gotten to examine some padded armour from the late medieval to 17th century padding. The ones from late medieval and early modern I have seen appear to be raw cotton wool as well but w/out testing it could be the raw wool.

RPM
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Randall, I found the article and from the abstract it looks quite interesting, but not interesting enough to drop US$25 on right now when I have other books on my list :-(

If David Edge is at the Wallace Collection I'll drop them an email with the specific question and see what they say.

Cheers.

--
Al.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

last I saw he was. That was farily recently. I could look and see if I still have the article for you.

RPM
Tobias Capwell

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Helmet Linings         Reply with quote

Just thought I would add,

The lining of the sallet associated with the 'Avant' armour in Glasgow (E.1939.65.e, the armour Milanese c. 1440, the sallet probably Brescian, c. 1450-60) is stuffed with a thin layer of dried grass.

Off-prints of David Edge's Neurosurgery article are still available at:

http://kentrotman.com/ligonier/armour.htm

The catalogue number for the off-print is M106.

As DE points out in the article, several of the linings of helmets here at the Wallace are stuffed with horsehair. Not tail-hair, but the fine body hairs.

TC (Curator of Arms and Armour, Wallace Collection)
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dr. Capwell;

Thank you for joining us here at myArmoury! Let me welcome you with the hope that you will be able to help illuminate us in many of the things we discuss here, what with your access to and experience with original pieces etc.

Welcome aboard!

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Specific question on helm padding materials         Reply with quote

Al Muckart wrote:
Apologies to the admins if this is the wrong forum, I'm looking for a piece of information which specifically relates to examples of historical armour so I'm posing it here.

In discussions on helm padding on this site I've seen a couple of people mention that David Edge has said that of the extant helm paddings held at the Royal Armouries, the vast majority are padded with raw cotton and none are padded with things like wool, horsehair etc.

Does anyone know of a citable published source that documents this specific fact?

I am also curious as to the weight of fabric used to cover period padding, I've experimentally verified that medium-weight linen is comfy and holds up Ok, and that thicker stuff gets wrinkled and uncomfortable but I'd love to know in detail.

Al,

I don't think this quite qualifies as a citable source as such, but in the appendix "Helmets and Helmet Linings" in Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight by David Edge and John Miles Paddock, the authors state that the quilted skull lining from a sixteenth century eagle-visored close-helmet in the Wallace Collection is stuffed with tow. They also state that another quilted lining for a different sixteenth-century close-helmet was stuffed with dried grass and horse-hair.

In The Armourer and His Craft, Charles ffoulkes cites several period documents that describe the stuffing of padded gambesons or aketons. He mentions cendal, tow, cotton, and possibly linen (at least between the folds). All these could just as well be used in helmet padding.

I don't know if this is very helpful, but that's what I found.

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar

Last edited by Richard Fay on Tue 23 Jan, 2007 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaron J. Cergol

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

while I do not know too much about the stuffing of the padding. But I do know (from Robert MacPherson) that the period padding/liner was usually only as thick as an average oven pot holder.

Hope this helps,

Aaron
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
last I saw he was. That was farily recently. I could look and see if I still have the article for you.

If you do, and you could provide me with a relevant quote and a citation I would appreciate it a great deal.

Thanks.

--
Al.
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Helmet Linings         Reply with quote

Firstly welcome to the forum, and thanks for your response. Professional expertise is an invaluable addition to a place like this.

Tobias Capwell wrote:
Just thought I would add,

The lining of the sallet associated with the 'Avant' armour in Glasgow (E.1939.65.e, the armour Milanese c. 1440, the sallet probably Brescian, c. 1450-60) is stuffed with a thin layer of dried grass.

Neat. Given their uselessness as shock-absorbtion, I'm assuming that linings like that were more for fit and to stop chafing than as a serious addition to the protection of the metal shell.

Quote:

Off-prints of David Edge's Neurosurgery article are still available at:

Many thanks for that, that's a bit more reasonable since there's an actual hardcopy at my end of the deal Big Grin

Quote:

As DE points out in the article, several of the linings of helmets here at the Wallace are stuffed with horsehair. Not tail-hair, but the fine body hairs.

Interesting. Was raw cotton a common material used for helmet paddings too, or should I go sign up to groom some horses?

Thanks.

--
Al.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

AL,

The citation is listed above for the article. Dr. Capwell also listed the current publisher. I could not find a copy but the library here seems to have that series but I have not found it yet.

AS far as the padding. It indeed would be used to absorb impact. having between 3/8 and some of padding is not an inch but with more padding it gets warmer and less ventilation. With armour it is about trade offs. If you could only wear your armour a few minutes it would be less useful.

Dr. Capwell,

Welcome. I hope your move south went well and without too many complications and you enjoying your new work place. I was hoping to make my way to the Wallace in a few weeks, a wonderful collection there!

Aaron,

Not to disagree with Robert MacPherson, but the few numbers of any head linings left would at one point probably been less compacted 400-500 years ago before they started to decompose etc. There are so few textile armour in general left I would assume the thickness of a average pot holder (3/8 or so) would be difficult to conclude as an accuate average historic thickness (not that it is not just would be hard to conclude an average with such a small sample size). The Wallace did have some out for display before and most were likely of that range though. At the castle museum we had a few helmets from the 17th still lined and they also were about that thick some were thicker but hard to tell exactly as they were still attached. One had padded check peices that were very padded but the lining was still in good condition so I do not know what was inside.

RPM
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Helmet Linings         Reply with quote

[quote=\\\"Tobias Capwell\\\"] Just thought I would add,

The lining of the sallet associated with the \\\'Avant\\\' armour in Glasgow (E.1939.65.e, the armour Milanese c. 1440, the sallet probably Brescian, c. 1450-60) is stuffed with a thin layer of dried grass.

Off-prints of David Edge\\\'s Neurosurgery article are still available at:

TC (Curator of Arms and Armour, Wallace Collection)

[/quote]

Dried grass.

Didn\\\'t know my compatriots were such scrounges .
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jan, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Firstly thank you all for your responses in this thread. I tracked down a copy of the neuroscience article - it's very interesting to see empirical numbers on things like plate thickness and details of the metallurgy. These are things which seem to be more often guessed at than not, though that is getting better as more information becomes more easily publicly available. I need to read it more.

Based on various pieces of information, and the information in the paper, I built a liner for the basincet I use for SCA combat[1] of linen stuffed with raw cotton and quilted with fairly chunky 1/2 inch or so running stitches.

The patterning of the liner means that when the points of the crown are all tied together it sits nicely on the top of my head supporting the weight of the helm.

Now, I'll say right up my helm is built for SCA combat, but it's a very nicely built helm custom built for me and well fitted to my head but it's a touch bigger than a period helm since it's got to allow for 1/2 inch of padding and it is significantly thicker and heavier than period helms, being built of 12 guage throughout (I've done SCA combat in a 16 guage helm and the extra mass really does make a difference). As a result of this the padding I built was a bit thicker than the period examples at between 1/2 and 5/8th's inch everywhere except low on the cheeks which were only about 1/8th since they don't contact my head and I can't get my head in and out of the hat if they're padded Big Grin

I took some test hits in the newly padded helm this evening from a knight who's been fighting for over 15 years (so he has a good sense of how much power he's delivering) and rapidly came to the conclusion that I wouldn't do SCA combat in a helm padded with that liner.

I'd happily do controlled blow re-enactment combat, but not full speed/force SCA combat, which I realise isn't delivering anything like the forces to my head that a blow from a steel sword with killing intent would.

The liner is quite a bit more comfortable than the previous padding I had, which was a similar sewn-in linen clad liner of a very similar pattern, but padded with cloesd cell foam Despite the fact that they have about the same contact area with my head, the cotton stuffed liner it isn't anywhere near as effective as absorbing and spreading out the force of a blow as the foam one is.

Hits feel like far more of a percussive "knock", I'm guessing if you stuck it on an accelerometer you'd see a much steeper and sharper spike from a hit through the cotton liner than through the foam one. It was also quite a bit louder inside the hat and I felt like my head was being moved a lot more by the shots I was taking than I did before. The hardest shot I took was "good" in SCA terms, but on a 1-10 scale of "good" it was about a 6 and having taken a shot at about 13-15 last year that concussed me and left me not fighting for 6 months, the last shot felt like about a 10 or 11 through the foam would.

This was a very interesting experiment to make, even though it wasn't exactly controlled. I've got some washed but un-spun wool and I'm going to collect some horsehair and make another couple of versions padded with those materials and see what the differences are. It's really highlighted to me just how deficient, by modern standards, period head protection must have been since what I was wearing was probably a bit better protection than an actual period bascinet would have been, having more mass and a bit more padding. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find that survivors came off the field "punch drunk", if not more damaged than that.

I've just pulled the liner out of the helm again, but I'll stick it back in and post pictures of helm and liner in the next couple of days.

[1] Yeah, I know it's nothing like the 'real thing', but I enjoy it Happy

--
Al.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jan, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al Muckart wrote:
Hi all,

I took some test hits in the newly padded helm this evening from a knight who's been fighting for over 15 years (so he has a good sense of how much power he's delivering) and rapidly came to the conclusion that I wouldn't do SCA combat in a helm padded with that liner.

I'd happily do controlled blow re-enactment combat, but not full speed/force SCA combat, which I realise isn't delivering anything like the forces to my head that a blow from a steel sword with killing intent would.

[1] Yeah, I know it's nothing like the 'real thing', but I enjoy it Happy

I fought 23 years in SCA and now about six with rebated steel in a full contact manner. We don't pull shots but then again we don't throw percussive blows with any regularity. Steel swords don't cut iron armour so its pretty wasteful in energy and equipment damage. There is a pervasive myth in SCA that steel swords deliver much more energy than rattan. I've been hit by really frightening men with both rattan and steel longswords. Rattan delivers much more kinetic energy because it flexes, wrapping itself around the contact point. It also tends to be used in a club-like manner optimised to deliver force. Swords are not clubs. They can bash but are better used in an arc, a semi circle if you will. Then the edge comes into play, cutting through unarmoured opponents or crushing mail and padded defenses.

Secondly, steel swords must strike at close to perpendicular on plate to have an effect. The edge will skip off transferring little to no energy. Bluntly speaking, my SCA experience ducking and turning to help glance blows has been an enormous aid in avoiding cutting actions, especially with steel swords and aluminum poleaxes.

In conclusion, I agree. I would never fight SCA in my period padded 16ga. bascinet. Never. I don't like concussions. I have no qualms about fighting one opponent with rebated steel, even my friendly giant David Cvet. (6'7" 250lb solid muscle in stocking feet + 85lbs of kit + 5.75lb longsword) I have to be an absolute klutz to have steel land on me the same way as I've been hit with rattan and padded polearms. It happens sometimes but then I repair my harness. Armour works. Medieval people knew what they were doing and managed the risk with appropriate equipment and training.

Kel Rekuta
AEMMA Free Scholler
www.aemma.org
James Barker

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al

How dense is your helm liner? I only use raw cotton in linen for SCA or living history and have no issues with it. My SCA liners are normally 4-5 inches thick before I quilt it down to 1/2 inch and they work like a charm, far better than any foam out there.

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jan, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:

I fought 23 years in SCA and now about six with rebated steel in a full contact manner. We don't pull shots but then again we don't throw percussive blows with any regularity. Steel swords don't cut iron armour so its pretty wasteful in energy and equipment damage. There is a pervasive myth in SCA that steel swords deliver much more energy than rattan. I've been hit by really frightening men with both rattan and steel longswords. Rattan delivers much more kinetic energy because it flexes, wrapping itself around the contact point. It also tends to be used in a club-like manner optimised to deliver force. Swords are not clubs. They can bash but are better used in an arc, a semi circle if you will. Then the edge comes into play, cutting through unarmoured opponents or crushing mail and padded defenses.

I don't want to get into this too deeply, because it's a bit OT for this forum, but I don't think it's a myth. The flex it rattan serves to suck energy *out* of the impact because the energy is going into deforming the stick, it also serves to spread the impact energy over a longer time, resulting in lower specific impulse force acting on the object being hit.

There is also the issue that the way SCA people hit with rattan (at least around here) there isn't the follow through that you would get were you actually trying to make a cut. You're right that SCA 'swords' are used like clubs, but they tend to aim at the surface being hit rather than the other side of the body part being hit.

Quote:

In conclusion, I agree. I would never fight SCA in my period padded 16ga. bascinet. Never. I don't like concussions. I have no qualms about fighting one opponent with rebated steel, even my friendly giant David Cvet. (6'7" 250lb solid muscle in stocking feet + 85lbs of kit + 5.75lb longsword) I have to be an absolute klutz to have steel land on me the same way as I've been hit with rattan and padded polearms. It happens sometimes but then I repair my harness. Armour works. Medieval people knew what they were doing and managed the risk with appropriate equipment and training.

I think it's worth noting that while armour obviously does work, it only works to the limit of the available technologies. Appropriate equipment and training obviously comes into it, but the available materials technologies they had to work with were extremely basic by modern standards. There is also the consideration of what counts as "working". I don't think that anybody expected to go into a medieval battle and come out completely unscathed. I'd guess that "not dead" was a good start and "not horribly disfigured and having all relevant appendages" was a really good outcome. I'd be a bit surprised to find that major bruising and concussions really registered much in the grand scheme of things.

That said, there are almost certainly things I'm missing here, both in the way that the weapon impacts work and the way the padding works, because I'm pretty sure that if more padding helped, there would be more evidence to suggest that the padding used was substantially thicker.

This is just the beginning of an ongoing play I'm having with these materials, but I'm really wishing I had an accelerometer-equipped model head to stick differently padded helms on and apply controlled whacks to to see how they work Big Grin

--
Al.
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jan, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Barker wrote:
Al

How dense is your helm liner? I only use raw cotton in linen for SCA or living history and have no issues with it. My SCA liners are normally 4-5 inches thick before I quilt it down to 1/2 inch and they work like a charm, far better than any foam out there.

Hi James,

It's pretty dense once quilted. It doesn't compress near as much as foam does. It was 2-3 inches thick before I quilted it down.

What sort of cotton are you using, true raw cotton or cotton wool? I suspect that cotton wool will work a lot better than raw cotton.

I'd love to know some more details of how you're constructing your liners if they're working that well. How are you doing the quilting, what stitches/patterns are you using?

Thanks.

--
Al.
James Barker

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jan, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al

What is the difference to you in raw cotton and cotton wool? I understood them to be the same thing.

I use a pattern I made myself to get the right curve in my bascinet. I quilt down the padding with waxed linen thread in a running stitch pattern using a six ply linen thread.

I will try and remember to take some pictures this weekend of my materials and patterns.

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,

James Barker wrote:
Al

What is the difference to you in raw cotton and cotton wool? I understood them to be the same thing.

I use a pattern I made myself to get the right curve in my bascinet. I quilt down the padding with waxed linen thread in a running stitch pattern using a six ply linen thread.

I will try and remember to take some pictures this weekend of my materials and patterns.

Sorry about the delay in replying. I wrote a fairly extensive reply to that and got a database error from the site when I tried to post it and then couldn't retrieve it out of my browser.

The difference between raw cotton and cotton wool is that raw cotton is pretty much straight off the plant, it has the waxes and oils still coating hte fibres, tends to have bits of seeds etc in the fibres and 'at rest' is a slightly denser mass of fibres.

Cotton wool is raw cotton that has been 'ginned' to remove the stray plant matter, washed and bleached. In these processes the cotton fibres are teased out and what you are left with is a significantly 'fluffier' mass of fibre than what I think of as raw cotton, which is cotton straight off the plant. Some literature I've been reading uses raw cotton to refer to any cotton which hasn't been spun, so I may have my terminology wrong but I don't have a good term for completely unprocessed, v.s. slightly processed but not yet spun cotton.

Raw cotton can be found on the insides of futon mattresses if that's any help Happy

My original reply to this had a fairly major digression into the state of the cotton industry in medieval Europe which I don't really have time to retype I'm afraid, but the guts of it is that the technology to process raw cotton into a spinnable 'wooly' form existed in period (despite what fans of Eli Whitney, the puported inventor of the 18th century cotton gin will say) so it seems quite probable that cotton wool is a closer analogue to what was used in padding applications.

This is still a topic I am very much in the early stages of learning about, I've assimilated a fair bit of information so far but I fear that it's obscure enough that precise answers will take more work than I can put into it right now.

I'd still love to see pictures of your patterns and materials.

Thanks.

--
Al.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Specific question on helm padding materials
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic