Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Different variations of the Chakram or War Quoit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Different variations of the Chakram or War Quoit         Reply with quote

If I remember correctly the Chakram or War Quoit was a very popular weapon of the Sikh people of Indian.

The Chakram was normally a throwning weapon, but could it be used as some form of melee weapon? To help classify the Chakram, could it be considered a circular throwing knife?

There are two unique Chakram combination weapons that I've found in two of my books. The first weapon is found in "George Cameron Stone's: Arms and Armor" as number 27 of Figure 533. The other weapon is found in "Weapon: A visual history of arms and armor", on pg. 143.

The first weapon is a combination of a mace and chakram and the second weapon is a combination of a flail and chakram also known as a "Cumberjung". Does anyone know of any other Chakram type weapons? Are there any links to some general information sites on Chakrams?

Last edited by Justin Pasternak on Wed 24 Jan, 2007 6:33 pm; edited 5 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have moved this topic to the Historic Arms Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of reproduction and authentic historical arms and armour from various cultures and time periods"

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Different variations of the Chakram or War Quoit         Reply with quote

Justin Pasternak wrote:
The Chakram was normally a throwning weapon, but could it be used as some form of melee weapon? To help classify the Chakram, could it be considered a circular throwing knife?

Justin,

I don't think that the chakram would make for a very good melee weapon. How do you hold it effectively? Perhaps if it had some sort of wrapped handle on one side, but then it would make it unbalanced as a throwing weapon. You must be able to have some sort of grip on a hand-to-hand weapon in order to use it. Since they were circular and sharpened on the outside edge, I don't see how you could effectively hold the chakram as a dedicated melee weapon.

I believe I saw a Sikh turban with various sizes of chakram, so they may have come in different sizes. In An Historical Guide to Arms & Armour by Stephen Bull, there is a photo of a pair of chakrams. The caption states that they could be worn on a special painted turban or dastar bungga.

I would class it as a throwing weapon, sort of along the lines of throwing stars.

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Different variations of the Chakram or War Quoit
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic