This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

A Pair of Gauntlets in the English Style, c. 1450

Made by Robert Macpherson based on research by Tobias Capwell, 2005

Materials: hardened and tempered spring steel and copper alloy, engraved, blued, and gilt, leather lining gloves.

Asking Price: 2500 Pounds Sterling (GBP, £)

These gauntlets were made as part of an English armour I had made over the last two years. It was based on my Ph.D research into English armour of the 15th century (soon to be published I hope). To be more specific, these gauntlets are reconstructions based very closely on the gauntlets depicted on the effigy of John de Beaufort, Duke of Somerset (died 1444) at Wimborne Minster in Dorset, England.

After jousting in these gauntlets for two seasons, I have found that they are slightly too big for me. I'd like to get a smaller pair but these ones need to find a new home first.

The English seem to have held onto the 'hourglass' gauntlet type a lot longer than did anyone on the continent; there is good evidence of their use until at least 1460, and I've even found a few isolated cases of gauntlets of this type appearing in the early 16th century. But they are perhaps most typical within the period 1425-50.

The design is characterised not just by the spectacular engraved and gilt decoration, but also by its incredible level of mobility. An additional lame allows the knuckle area to expand and contract as the hand is opened and closed, and each digit is protected by its own assembly of tiny plates. These plates are articulated on each other by means of small rivets, as opposed to the more usual method of riveting each plate to a leather backing. The wrist is further articulated to allow as much flexibility as possible without compromising the level of protection.

If anyone would like more information, please let me know. Images are attached.

Toby Capwell

Attachment: 95.68 KB
English Gauntlets 01.jpg

Attachment: 82.88 KB
English Gauntlets 03.jpg

Attachment: 60.52 KB
English Gauntlets 04.jpg

Attachment: 116.3 KB
[ Download ]