Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Weapons and styles question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Amanda B.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again for the information! I thought the logo would be recognizable to you guys, though I had no idea, heh. My only real exposure to fencing has been the modern sport, hence my mental image of those swords being flexible. Luckily it won't be hard to fix in what's already been written, and that particular sword was only chosen for the design of the hilt for the picture. I'd be glad to use another narrow style of blade, assuming I can find out enough about it to describe it properly! Wink Luckily, I've been doing so here... my own (cheap) replicas aren't of much use, alas.

Huh, just left them... makes sense, though it's odd to think a scene from the stupid first draft of this which I wrote when I was thirteen has any validity at all. Surprised I'd better make a reading list or something so I don't forget which books I need to take a look at.

Again, this is all very useful, thank you!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amanda B. wrote:
I'd better make a reading list or something so I don't forget which books I need to take a look at.

Thank you so much for writing this! It makes me happy to see the functions I built into the bookstore are actually useful in a real world situation.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amanda;

As I mentioned before there are lots of resources here including links to makers of swords: Maybe so obvious I forgot to mention it ( or if someone did I haven't re-read all the posts to make sure. ) but have a look at the swords offered by A & A
for one and their rapiers if your novel's Worldbuiding includes early renaissance as well a medieval weapons.

The rapiers made by A & A cover mainly types including some with heavier and wider swordlike blades as well as the narrower styles of almost purely thrusting blades.

Link: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/

Looking at the other quality makers like Albion or Christian Fletcher's site that you can find in the links page might also be useful.

Creating a consistent backstory world defining the politics, culture, weapons and the recent and ancient history of your World makes thing more real for you and then easier to make real for others.

After that it's creating interesting people to care about, love or hate and some story arc(s) to give them something to accomplish individually or for some quest: Saving the world with the real risk of disastrous evil if the characters fail.

Or, more individual growth type of stories ? Depends a lot on what you want to say ? Action, comedy, tragedy or a bit of all of these.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah. Too bad you're concentrating on the medieval period--if not, I could easily spew out recommendations for other forms of narrow-bladed swords. Some cavalry "broadswords," for example, weren't really all that broad, and there's also the spadroon--a particularly nifty form.

But even then you can actually find lots of narrow blades among medieval swords. I've seen some examples of Type XV and Type XVI swords (see the Features section for overviews of these Oakeshott types) with blades narrower (and thicker) than I'd expect at first, making them more suitable for thrusting but a little less powerful in cutting. But that didn't compromise their utility as battlefield swords.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Amanda;

As I mentioned before there are lots of resources here including links to makers of swords: Maybe so obvious I forgot to mention it ( or if someone did I haven't re-read all the posts to make sure. ) but have a look at the swords offered by A & A
for one and their rapiers if your novel's Worldbuiding includes early renaissance as well a medieval weapons.

And if you want to see even more replica rapier hilts, go to www.darkwoodarmory.com
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
...I humbly suggest any further research be done on historical weapons and not replicas. This makes your work that much closer to the "real thing" and avoids the "copy of a copy of a copy" syndrome. In other words, why base your own fantasy on another person's fantasy? Start with an original source and adjust from there. Happy

Cheers.

With this in mind, Amanda, one step I would recommend is to review museum collections. I haven't been through all of the links that Nathan and co. have provided on the myArmoury links page. However, a few museums, such as the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Metropolitan Museum of Art have quite a few pictures of their arms and armor collections available on line. Here is a photo from the Cleveland Museum of Art with three rapiers:

Image Copyright © The Cleveland Museum of Art 2004

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I agree with Nathan that looking at originals is a very good idea but the higher end replicas are close to the originals in looks and handling and shouldn't be misleading as far as what a real sword is like.
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Amanda B.

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, I wonder if there's anything at the local museum worth looking at? Now that I think of it, I did have a chance to hold a katana at the art museum a few years ago (they actually wondered if I'd used a sword before; I wish!) but I am not sure what they have along the lines of European things. Something to check out on a nice weekend, I think!

Yeah, in general I'm looking at medieval era, if only because I have found that the Hundred Years' War has some parallels to the situation in the plot which was developed way before I discovered an interest in history (and it is also a lot easier to find books on that timeframe), but since it is a fantasy I think some things can be mixed around, so I'll look at the Renaissance styles too...

Many thanks for all the information and suggestions - already been able to use the misconception about fencing swords which I had as part of a scene, yay - and I'll continue to lurk around and see what I can pick up by osmosis Big Grin

Cheers,
Amanda
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd suggest going to that local museum you have in mind. You've noticed the other thread about planning museum visits, right? If not--or if you forgot the link--here is it:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8979
Keith Nelson

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amanda,

Depending on where you are in Colorado, you might want to get in touch with one of the western martial arts groups out there. There's people in Colorado Springs, Denver, and Fort Collins who might be able to help you. Let me know if you'd like more information on that and I'll dig up contacts.

Keith

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Weapons and styles question
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: