Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Weapons and styles question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Amanda B.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Re: the French terms... yeah, it's pretty hard to avoid when they've become part of the English terminology also. I don't mind using archaic terms as long as it doesn't make one instantly think of a language that wouldn't exist in the world; in my example I was meaning more along the lines of specialized fencing terms and the like, i.e. moulinet or coquille or the various terms for parries and guards. Heh, even 'en garde'. But a lot of those can just be described or simplified instead of the proper term used (which would be best for non-fencing readers anyway) or in some cases replaced with a term unique to the world.

And yeah, that's definitely the kind of thing was thinking of, nothing extra-special or 'heroic'. Thanks for the picture!

As for the book... ooh, I have not seen it, and it is a bit out of my price range (otherwise I'd jump on it!), but I'll bet I can get a copy through the library or interlibrary loan. My research file is expanding by leaps and bounds, thank you all again!
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amanda;

Make sure you have a look at all the feature articles, reviews, collection, albums etc ... on this site as there is a lot of content here that is much more than just the Forums.

Depending on how familiar you already are with historical weapons and weapons use you should find a lot here that might inspire ideas for your writings: A few weeks or months of regularly reading and participating here should help a great deal in deepening your knowledge about it all and sometimes at the beginning of a search for information the most valuable thing is finding out even what questions to ask i.e. you can't ask about what you don't know until you know that you don't know. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Anyway, welcome here and I hope what you will find here will be helpful. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Amanda B.

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Amanda;

Make sure you have a look at all the feature articles, reviews, collection, albums etc ... on this site as there is a lot of content here that is much more than just the Forums.

Depending on how familiar you already are with historical weapons and weapons use you should find a lot here that might inspire ideas for your writings: A few weeks or months of regularly reading and participating here should help a great deal in deepening your knowledge about it all and sometimes at the beginning of a search for information the most valuable thing is finding out even what questions to ask i.e. you can't ask about what you don't know until you know that you don't know. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Anyway, welcome here and I hope what you will find here will be helpful. Big Grin

Thanks! I think I know what I'll be doing tonight then, heh. I have been on the De Re Militari site often in the past, but I haven't scoured the articles on this one yet. Too bad I was never this interested when it counted for schoolwoork Wink
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amanda;

Be careful you may become addicted to history. Wink By the way I never liked history at school either and I'm just happy that school didn't succeed in turning me off the subject.

I liked history before school and continue to, obviously to this day, but the " history " taught at school by uninspired teachers and the dullest textbooks human ingenuity could devise only made me hate the history classes and not history itself.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Amanda B.

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Amanda;

Be careful you may become addicted to history. Wink By the way I never liked history at school either and I'm just happy that school didn't succeed in turning me off the subject.

I liked history before school and continue to, obviously to this day, but the " history " taught at school by uninspired teachers and the dullest textbooks human ingenuity could devise only made me hate the history classes and not history itself.

Hah, I think it's too late for me! I've never had much luck with classrooms or textbooks either (one history teacher in high school was an exception) but if it's for some project I'm doing I'll read and read. I think it's completely in the presentation. I also love the fact that one day you'll look at the newspaper and there's some discovery that's been made that turns everything you thought you knew on its head. Those sort of things are very exciting, too. (I love archaeology also...)
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I'm going to slightly go off topic for a moment because this is a "fact" that I see passed around quite a bit. Lafayette, this is actually a common myth that many people believe despite there being little evidence. (And by the way, a "contratemp" is not a double hit, it is attacking at the same time as defending, i.e. a counterattack.) If you read any fencing manuscript from the 16th century and onwards, they all discuss defense, and almost always as one of the first concepts. (And as Stephen pointed out, "defense" is where the word "fencing" originates.)

Now, for a fantasy setting, it is possible that the idea of hitting the person was more important in regards to honor, but double kills historically were definatley scoffed at by period masters.

Ah. Well. Maybe I've just been reading too much of William Hope, where he used "contretemps" only in the derogatory sense.

As for the simultaneous hits, I'm perfectly aware that the masters themselves taught good defense and the value of hitting your enemy while not getting hit yourself. Marozzo did, Fabris did, Thibault did, just about every other master did. If we judge from the numerous accounts of duels, though, the actual duelists didn't seem to have taken the masters' advice to heart because there are so many simultaneous hits in those accounts--it would seem as if more than half of the hits taken were simultaneous.

So I'm not talking about a flaw in the masters' systems themselves but in the students' imperfect understanding of those systems, because if they had really understood it the way the masters did I doubt there would have been so many simultaneous hits (and mutual deaths) in the accounts. Hope, too, in his late 17th-century treatise, spoke that the systems of the other masters were so good in theory (and when practiced by the masters themselves), yet he also remarked that their students had such poor defense that he suspected (though not necessarily correctly) the other masters of withholding the true secrets of fighting--the secrets of staying alive--from their students because they didn't want their students to surpass them.
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amanda, if you're interested in knowing about the differences between "real" and "theatrical" combat, you could try to look at this page:

http://www.theatricalcombat.com/mainmenu/comfactrs.html

Which mentions the basic factors of theatrical combat, namely timing, distance, cueing and reversal of tension. In terms of the first two he would largely need to learn how to modify them to be lethal rather than non-lethal--not an easy task in itself. I suspect the last two are the ones that will involve the greatest amount of unlearning. Imagine spending years to learn how to fight on cues to avoid harming your opponent, then suddenly being forced to face an opponent who constantly tries to hide his movement and mislead with what few cues he gives. And suddenly learning that you're not supposed to pull your blow the moment you hit your enemy!
George Hill

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:

Which mentions the basic factors of theatrical combat, namely timing, distance, cueing and reversal of tension. In terms of the first two he would largely need to learn how to modify them to be lethal rather than non-lethal--not an easy task in itself. I suspect the last two are the ones that will involve the greatest amount of unlearning. Imagine spending years to learn how to fight on cues to avoid harming your opponent, then suddenly being forced to face an opponent who constantly tries to hide his movement and mislead with what few cues he gives. And suddenly learning that you're not supposed to pull your blow the moment you hit your enemy!

There's a set of stage fencers who perform near me now and then, and their bit is that they show how stage fencing isn't realistic, to the uneducated observer. One of the things they said once, was that one could be an excellent swordsman, or an excellent stage fighter, but not both. You have to train your reflexes to exactly the opposite to be one then to be the other.

And as Dobringer said, true fighting is DIRECT to the target. I would expect a stage fighter to try something fancy, and before he was a third done with it, to have his head cleaved in two.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As for the simultaneous hits, I'm perfectly aware that the masters themselves taught good defense and the value of hitting your enemy while not getting hit yourself. Marozzo did, Fabris did, Thibault did, just about every other master did. If we judge from the numerous accounts of duels, though, the actual duelists didn't seem to have taken the masters' advice to heart because there are so many simultaneous hits in those accounts--it would seem as if more than half of the hits taken were simultaneous.

So I'm not talking about a flaw in the masters' systems themselves but in the students' imperfect understanding of those systems, because if they had really understood it the way the masters did I doubt there would have been so many simultaneous hits (and mutual deaths) in the accounts. Hope, too, in his late 17th-century treatise, spoke that the systems of the other masters were so good in theory (and when practiced by the masters themselves), yet he also remarked that their students had such poor defense that he suspected (though not necessarily correctly) the other masters of withholding the true secrets of fighting--the secrets of staying alive--from their students because they didn't want their students to surpass them.

Well, sloppy fencers abound in every age. However, I think the kind of simultaneous hit that Bill and Stephen were referring to is the kind that takes place in a sport fencing bout, where getting hit can actually be part of the strategy if you think you can get your blade in first, thus earning the point. That's a problem that has only been aggravated by the introduction of electric scoring. (As if the flick wasn't reason enough to hate those accursed buzzers!)

Amanda: Have you considered weapons like the estoc or Swiss saber? One of those might fit your character fairly well. Also, you might wish to consider having your character carry his own sword. It seems unlikely that a peasant conscript would be issued a sword, as they were expensive and swordsmanship was a specialized skill. Some form of spear or polearm would probably have been more the standard.

But then again, if George R. R. Martin can get away with putting a rapier in a medieval setting, why not you? One of the joys of speculative fiction is that you don't need to be slavishly adherant to historical realities. Big Grin Good luck with the book!

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another way for your character to acquire a sword would be to pick it up on a battlefield. After the fighting was over, Medieval battlefields were thoroughlyt scoured for every bit of arms and armor dropped on the ground or worn by a corpse. Much of this scrounging was probably done by the army's camp followers.

The Del Tin sword that Brad showed you is called a Falchion. They varied from that fairly light version to more massive ones that functioned as heavy cleavers.
Amanda B.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again! I've heard of falchions before, but sometimes it's hard to put the name to the image so I'll have to do some more looking. of course, I'll have to outfit other characters with weapons, too, heh heh. Yeah, for realism he'll probably end up finding one, if not after the first battle (since he's involved during an ambush attack on the baggage camp rather than the battle itself) then afterward when they leave it.

I think I'm probably going to make it more of a duel style with "showy" flourishes that he has to have knocked out of him a bit, since the original point of giving him even a bit of background in fighting was to ensure that the character (and the royal "prisoner" he ends up travelling with) could plausibly survive their journey. I think it probably has to be more real than staged, even if it isn't to the death, to make it worthwhile for others to bet on. Not that such fights couldn't be fixed, but hey, that's plotline I can access for later. Wink I figure he wasn't in the "game" long enough to be totally set in his ways, nor was he in the top ranks either.

I did an interlibrary order on that book mentioned earlier, and I hope it will answer some of my logistics questions (it's so much harder to to write from the POV of servants in an army than the nobility who just leaves the details to the underlings), like what happens to the bodies and equipment after a battle, some questions about wintering, etc.. Very few of the sources I've looked at mention this kind of administrative or campaign-life detail more than in passing, and it definitely focuses on the nobility. Anyway, this doesn't really fall under the weaponry category, so I'll refrain from off-topicking even more. Happy

Thanks!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the Osprey Warrior series of books might be interesting to look at - 15th century soldiers, right? Here - http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~WAR3...2D1500.htm - or in a library.
Stephen Hand

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Amanda,

The sword you show in your illustration doesn't look like any historical sabre. It does look like a rapier, specifically a 17th century rapier, which as others have said were still quite robust weapons. If you want to see how these were used then you should look at Tom Leoni's Art of Duelling, published by Chivalry Bookshelf and/or (preferably and) Jared Kirby's Italian Rapier Combat, published by Greenhill. Both of these are translations of original rapier fencing treatises.

If you want a more medieval civilian style then you might want to look at sword and buckler fighting and perhaps Paul Wagner and my book, Medieval Sword and Shield (Chivalry Bookshelf). All of these styles are fast, subtle and point orientated. Anyone who tells you that medieval swordsmanship was crude hack and slash clearly knows nothing about medieval swordsmanship.

Cheers
Stephen

Stephen Hand
Editor, Spada, Spada II
Author of English Swordsmanship, Medieval Sword and Shield

Stoccata School of Defence
Amanda B.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yay, more to look at! And the more that I do, I can see that they are pretty sturdy-looking swords, I don't know why my mind keeps insisting they were so delicate...

This was the reference that I used for the picture; I actually had my sister find a design she liked, so I'm not sure where it came from and I couldn't find it in Google again. (She says the site has Essex on it somewhere, as far as she recalls.) I think she specifically looked for sabre as opposed to foil/epee/rapier, so that's what I obliged with. It could end up being whatever actually works the best, though.

Though I definitely plan on using accurate techniques when a fencing style comes up, the character won't initially be facing any opponents who would also know the "rules", so I'm curious how it might be adapted to such a "street fight". I'm sure it's possible if the style was originally meant for defense. *puts it on the list* Ah, the neverending quest for knowledge. Big Grin

Attachment: 11.23 KB
hilt.jpg

Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jan, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah. In that case you should keep in mind that practical techniques for single combat and massed battlefield combat (including no-hold-barred street fights) do not always exactly coincide with each other, though their basics were definitely the same. Battlefield (massed) techniques would have used fewer, simpler, tighter movements, emphasizing on the more instinctive aspects of fighting. Such tchniques would also have emphasized a feature that would not have been such a big deal in single combat systems--namely, awareness of and cooperation with friends.

In medieval times the differences were generally relatively few and subtle but, as the Renaissance progressed and single combat became increasingly formalized into the gentleman's duel, the two diverged farther and farther.

What's interesting is that there's a passage in Achille Marozzo's Opera Nova that can be interpreted to imply that Marozzo meant his system to be studied by people who already had a grounding in a simpler military style. So the two are related but different--though, unlike with stage fighting, it is possible to be good in both dueling and no-holds-barred combat (including massed varieties like battles and street fights).

BTW, the weapons in that last photograph are definitely a variety of the later, specifically thrust-oriented rapier and its companion dagger. Such rapiers might have narrow blades, but to compensate for it their blade cross-sections are also significantly thicker than those of more cut-oriented swords. So they're "narrow" but by no means "fragile."
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jan, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BTW, the weapons in that last photograph are definitely a variety of the later, specifically thrust-oriented rapier and its companion dagger. Such rapiers might have narrow blades, but to compensate for it their blade cross-sections are also significantly thicker than those of more cut-oriented swords. So they're "narrow" but by no means "fragile."

And judging from the logo in the top right corner of the picture, its one of the Paul Chen "Hanwei" rapiers.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jan, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amanda-

That photo you posted is of modern practice tools. They're not real weapons. The blades are meant to be very flexible and to bend without injuring your sporting partner. There are very narrow-bladed rapiers found in history, but the blades are often very stiff and equipped with extremely sharp points to do thrusting damage.

I humbly suggest any further research be done on historical weapons and not replicas. This makes your work that much closer to the "real thing" and avoids the "copy of a copy of a copy" syndrome. In other words, why base your own fantasy on another person's fantasy? Start with an original source and adjust from there. Happy

Cheers.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jan, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Allen wrote:
And judging from the logo in the top right corner of the picture, its one of the Paul Chen "Hanwei" rapiers.

Argh. Missed that. I was posting from a public terminal, not my computer, so had to rush my reply.

It's true what those old folks say: haste is a thing of the Devil.
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jan, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Allen wrote:

Argh. Missed that. I was posting from a public terminal, not my computer, so had to rush my reply.

It's true what those old folks say: haste is a thing of the Devil.

I figgued most of us, you included, recognized the logo. Just trying to help for Amanda's sake Big Grin
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jan, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amanda B. wrote:
Hello again! I've heard of falchions before, but sometimes it's hard to put the name to the image so I'll have to do some more looking. of course, I'll have to outfit other characters with weapons, too, heh heh. Yeah, for realism he'll probably end up finding one, if not after the first battle (since he's involved during an ambush attack on the baggage camp rather than the battle itself) then afterward when they leave it.

I think I'm probably going to make it more of a duel style with "showy" flourishes that he has to have knocked out of him a bit, since the original point of giving him even a bit of background in fighting was to ensure that the character (and the royal "prisoner" he ends up travelling with) could plausibly survive their journey. I think it probably has to be more real than staged, even if it isn't to the death, to make it worthwhile for others to bet on. Not that such fights couldn't be fixed, but hey, that's plotline I can access for later. Wink I figure he wasn't in the "game" long enough to be totally set in his ways, nor was he in the top ranks either.

I did an interlibrary order on that book mentioned earlier, and I hope it will answer some of my logistics questions (it's so much harder to to write from the POV of servants in an army than the nobility who just leaves the details to the underlings), like what happens to the bodies and equipment after a battle, some questions about wintering, etc.. Very few of the sources I've looked at mention this kind of administrative or campaign-life detail more than in passing, and it definitely focuses on the nobility. Anyway, this doesn't really fall under the weaponry category, so I'll refrain from off-topicking even more. Happy

Thanks!

There's a very nice book called "Blood Red Roses: The Archaeology of a mass grave from the Battle of Towton AD 1461" that using archeology of a burial site goes through trauma wounds delivered to the bodies discovered at the Battle of Towton. There are also numerous references and books on the Visby battle and the remains found there too.

In a way the two battles contrast since at Visby there were a lot of artifacts recovered and at the Towton site I don't believe there weren't many.

From what I have read most of the dead were either left on the field for others to bury or ignore, or they were pushed into mass graves. Leaders and nobles usually got better treatment in death.

In some cases there was a lot of looting after a battle, in many aftermath's that wasn't possible for tactical or strategic reasons. For instance, Henry V didn't stay around long after the Battle of Agincourt since he needed to get his army to Calais soon or it would starve. So most of the bodies at Agincourt were picked over and looted, but left in place for the locals or others to bury. In some cases identification wasn't even possible afterwards due to the location of wounds or lack of identifying equipment.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Weapons and styles question
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: