Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Jan 22: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
89%
 89%  [ 61 ]
Very Good
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Good
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 68

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jan, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, is this the same Manning Imperial sword in both articles ? I assume so unless more than one was made.

Yes, it's the same sword. Jason commissioned it and reviewed it, but before the review was published he ended up selling it to me. Cool

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jan, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, is this the same Manning Imperial sword in both articles ? I assume so unless more than one was made.

Yes, it's the same sword. Jason commissioned it and reviewed it, but before the review was published he ended up selling it to me. Cool

That is what I was guessing happened, thanks for confirming it. Cool And congratulations that is a great and unique looking sword. ( I'm just not going to let you review one of my custom swords though ....... just in case you wouldn't want to return it. Razz Laughing Out Loud )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jan, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Thank you         Reply with quote

Hello All

Thank you for your kind words about the article. It was a subject that I have spent a lot of time looking into and must acknowledge all the authors who did the testing and research. I was just a metal geek who tracked down the articles. It is a very interesting subject to me and one that I think has been greatly misunderstood over the years.

Jean had some excellent questions. From the research, I would conclude that the hardness variability was a material issue in most cases. There are obvious constructions that put material that is easier to harden on the edges in some pieces but the hardness attained in these pieces, on average, is still less than what is often stated as "the average" medieval sword in these same edges. One aspect of our reaction to these numbers may well be a byproduct of our modern concept to push the envelope design wise. It is our own perceptions that key in on numbers like 50 Rc as a ?good hardness? in the period they would have had no way to consistently test such a thing or even to have had meaning for them. It is our desire to say that a product should have a consistency that is testable that leads us to a number being important.

This bears out most strongly in the point the Richard commented on , the period swords with no heat treatment. They are specifically not put through this process and still are seen as a product acceptable at some level in the market. There are to many of these and to far flung in location to say that they would all be due to some anomaly or post period conflagration. It is important to recognize that heat treatment was a choice and one that was sometimes seen as not worth the effort, whether due to circumstances or material.

I will be happy to try and answer any questions that may arise.

Best Regards
Craig
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you         Reply with quote

Hello all!
Craig Johnson wrote:

I will be happy to try and answer any questions that may arise.

Hi Craig! Happy

I would love more details regarding those swords lacking heat treatment, just to satisfy my own insatiable curiosity. What was the find-place, current location and approximate date of each? What type (Oakeshott, etc.) were each?

I'm intrigued by these swords because they apparently contradict what seems to be our logical assumptions regarding the treatment of functional blades. I like to here about the oddballs as well as the standard models.

Any details you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: To Heat-Treat or Not, that is the question?         Reply with quote

Hi Richard

These are interesting examples. It is one of the aspects of the historical pieces that I will often find people not willing to believe.

In fact you have stated it very nicely

Quote:
they apparently contradict what seems to be our logical assumptions regarding the treatment of functional blades

This would be so if we have a solid idea of what they thought a "functional blade" was. Based on the published findings of actual tested pieces this assumption on our part maybe incorrect. The modern market place would not be very open to the type of varied and some times absent heat treatment of a product today. But it seems to have been more the norm in period.

There is always a hurdle for modern people looking back at the past. It is to realize we do not always know a better way than they did to achieve a goal. We have assumed we "know" what they were trying to achieve as sword smiths and a large body of "common knowledge" about the medieval sword has arisen. In fact one can often read and hear those with a good deal of experience with swords, old and new, that have not considered this information or possibly even know of it. We can sometimes forget that we, as modern people, do not always have the best answer:) it is never to late to look at our own knowledge with a critical eye.

But enough of me pontificating, much to early in the morning for that.Happy

I came across two examples of no heat treatment in the research for this article one was included in the group of swords I used as my sample the other I did not as it lacked the multiple hardness testing I felt was necessary for good comparison.

The sword not included is a 10 to 11th C. "VLFBER(CH)T" sword in the Württemberg Landesmuseum, Stuttgart. Possibly of Rhineland manufacture. The blade is constructed of at least four pieces with the core being about 0.7% carbon and the pieces used for the edges about 1.0% carbon. The blade was air-cooled after construction no evidence of heat-treatment is detectable. The blade was examined in cross-section.

Other examples of early swords with high carbon content show a lack of heat treatment. Check the sources dealing with this period from the suggested reading list.

The sword included in the sample I chose is A.2050 from Vienna. It is constructed from layers of steel and iron and is made from several pieces. There is a pattern-welded core. The sword has a multi-lobed pommel and may have been a type X blade. Two cross-sections were taken. Carbon content in the steel portions was about 0.6%. It was not quenched after forging.

These are the two swords that I had the most details for, which fit the criteria of no heat-treatment. There are other examples in the literature but less is said about their details.

Hope this is interesting.

Best
Craig
Jeffrey Hull

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Commentary : Sword Blade Hardness         Reply with quote

This commentary is in regards to the article at this website entitled Sword Blade Hardness by the esteemed & skilled Craig Johnson of Arms & Armor.

An interesting article. CJ provided us much helpful technical information. His sources are reputable. Kudos to CJ.

However, some things seemed questionable to me:

(1) A very small & anecdotal sample was utilised to reach some general conclusions:

The number of swords tested is not statistically significant when compared to the number of swords made over the historical period...These blades do show that the working range of blades exhibited by this sample were different then the oft-declared "average medieval blade". It leads one to consider that we may be too focused on certain numbers when looking at what makes a sword.

(2) Sorry, but the Fechtbuecher evince that the fencers of the 14th to 16th Century expected certain similar things that I expect from a sword -- as proven to me by their own words and by my own martial arts praxis -- hardness, resilency, unified quality of design. I would daresay that if the material hardness alone were the only consideration, then all the owners of the the blades sampled would have chosen their respective blades to be equal in their harness spectrum to Blade L or Blade J -- I mean, who would not? Of course, that was not the only consideration either then or now. But given a choice, certainly a swordsman would want his blade to be quite hard.

The attributes the period customer and maker felt were important may have been different than our own.

(3) The goal of the article was unclear -- was it meant to cast doubt on the skills, workmanship and materials of all the smiths of ye olden tymes; or was it meant to tout the modern makers as superior craftsmen using materials that are scientifically definable as superior; or conversely was it meant to allow modern makers an excuse for a lower standard of quality; or was it meant to characterise all modern sword-owners as nothing other than consumers & collectors who never have any desires or values that correlate with sword-owners of the historic past?

(4) There was no example of any 14th Century blade tested. Such would have been nice.

I should thank Craig Johnson for any helpful reply that he may make to my commentary.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Hull

JH

Knightly Dueling - the Fighting Arts of German Chivalry
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey,
Thanks for the post. I hope Craig will chime in. As an editor of this piece, I've read it several times and think it's a great piece. I believe one of his main points was that our modern preference for a thoroughly hardened blade somewhere near 50 RC may not be in line with our ancestors.

A small sample set was indeed used because that's what the data is available for. A 14th century example would indeed have been nice, but you can't report on data not available to you. This kind of testing is not easy (can be destructive) on antique blades and museums may simply be unwilling to damage their expensive investments for the sake of tests of that nature. This kind of analysis is pretty new as well. Perhaps data will become more available over time.

Please also note that the article title bore the words "The current research" not "the final word" or something similarly concrete. Research is fluid and what we know now (or think we know) could al be swept away with a single discovery.

Do we know for a fact that period swordsmen wanted their blades "quite hard?" And what, metallurgically speaking, does "quite hard" mean? I'd love to see your references for that. Perhaps blades of lesser hardness would take less (or a different kind of) damage when struck.

The bottom line is that, whether medieval smiths truly understood metallurgy or not, they had a practical knowledge we modernites have barely scratched the surface of.

Nowadays we may prefer one set of parameters, but the admittedly scant data available shows that our preferences may be different than those of our ancestors. Our ancestors did the best they could with the materials and technology available. They had to: lives depended on it more so than they do now.

I believe the article was meant to open minds to things like the following:
-The available data (this is a key point) indicates that our modern preferences and modern makers' standards are different than period examples
-There is more research to be done
-Many makers tout their "numbers" which many customers cling to. Both maker and customer should be careful to look beyond the numbers to what a good sword really means. There's more to a quality weapon than shear numbers.

I don't think he's disparaging makers of old. I feel it's pretty complimentary to them, actually. They had fewer resources, tools, and technology available to them than people do today, but they still provided weapons that did their job. They didn't have a Rockwell scale to test against or steel of consistent quality, but they got the job done.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Commentary : Sword Blade Hardness         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Hull wrote:
(2) Sorry, but the Fechtbuecher evince that the fencers of the 14th to 16th Century expected certain similar things that I expect from a sword -- as proven to me by their own words and by my own martial arts praxis -- hardness, resilency, unified quality of design. I would daresay that if the material hardness alone were the only consideration, then all the owners of the the blades sampled would have chosen their respective blades to be equal in their harness spectrum to Blade L or Blade J -- I mean, who would not? Of course, that was not the only consideration either then or now. But given a choice, certainly a swordsman would want his blade to be quite hard.

Hi Jeffrey,
I am unaware of any fencing manuscript claiming to need a harder sword. That's a modern assumption that swords need to be hard (and one I have always held myself until more recent years). I think the whole point of the article was to show maybe we shouldn't automatically assume things based on our modern ideas. There's no evidence in the manuscripts that say one way or another, to my knowledge.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Commentary : Sword Blade Hardness         Reply with quote

Hello Jeff

Thank you for reading my article so carefully and I would be happy to respond to your queries.

Jeffrey Hull wrote:

An interesting article. CJ provided us much helpful technical information. His sources are reputable. Kudos to CJ.

However, some things seemed questionable to me:

(1) A very small & anecdotal sample was utilised to reach some general conclusions:

The number of swords tested is not statistically significant when compared to the number of swords made over the historical period...These blades do show that the working range of blades exhibited by this sample were different then the oft-declared "average medieval blade". It leads one to consider that we may be too focused on certain numbers when looking at what makes a sword.

I would suggest that my article did not draw a solid conclusion, but rather identified the evidence that we do know can be verified and demonstrated in a large enough sample per blade to comment on the blade overall as opposed to a point on any given blade. The short coming of a single point test is that as demonstrated in most iron/steel objects from the middle ages and renaissance is that they do not have a consistent enough structure to provide a uniform hardness. In fact if you are to test a modern well-made blade you will not get a consistent hardness but a range.

Jeffrey Hull wrote:

The attributes the period customer and maker felt were important may have been different than our own.

I would love to see the commentary on the blades from the manuals Jeff. I did as thorough a search as I could through the literature of the period to find some relevant copy that spoke to this issue but was not able to find any. Please site the information if you would.

Jeffrey Hull wrote:

(3) The goal of the article was unclear -- was it meant to cast doubt on the skills, workmanship and materials of all the smiths of ye olden tymes; or was it meant to tout the modern makers as superior craftsmen using materials that are scientifically definable as superior; or conversely was it meant to allow modern makers an excuse for a lower standard of quality; or was it meant to characterise all modern sword-owners as nothing other than consumers & collectors who never have any desires or values that correlate with sword-owners of the historic past?

Your third point presupposes that my article was written as a confrontation to one of three assumptions. The first being to doubt the skill of the craftsman of old, nothing could be farther from the truth. Rather I see their innovations and empirical methodology reaching a level few of us could imagine with our reliance on typology, codification and testing. In fact I would argue we need more of what they had in our pieces today, They built with hand and eye, from their heart and experience, to eliminate these qualities from a sword removes it from craft to manufacture and a reduction of the diversity that makes the medieval sword so interesting to me.

The second assumption that we are superior craftsman today is something else I would disagree with. In just the pure economic sense I can not know a sword the way a Medieval maker or for that matter user could as our modern lives do not allow us the time spent doing the things by hand that they did. It was very telling a few years ago when several of us makers got together and started talking swords. We had discussions about feel and sense of the sword that I could not have had with anyone else because we were talking about stuff you would need to grind a couple hundred blades and have an idea of how to use them to get and I would bet everyone of them would be the first to claim their knowledge is minimal to the sword makers of old.

I would add a side note here as well, that many of the well-known teachers of WMA have a similar attitude about the use of the sword. We strive to know as much as we can and practice with an open mind and integrity but we will never know the subject as fully as those who lived it.

As for our materials, yes they are more consistent through out, a homogeneous material as it where. I would say that to call it superior is to miss one of the points of my article. They had a different material to work with and had different results than we do.

Users of the sword today have contributed a great deal to the modern replica sword. I know that several of the WMA of today who have contributed their opinion on the swords I make have made them better pieces and truer to the swords of old. Your third assumption would again be something I would completely disagree with. In fact I would say the average sword owner/collector/user today is the type of person our society needs more of. Few of these people are just in it for kicks or the thrill of bashing someone as fast as they can. In my experience they are in fact after something that the sword helps them focus on. Ideals and goals that may not be what our society today rewards but even for the person who just likes swords it is the object and the meaning behind the object that is what they are experiencing.

My goal in writing the article was to throw some light into a little understood area of our interest. I stated

“One aspect of Medieval sword composition that is often touted by modern enthusiasts, but is little understood, is the hardness of the blade itself. Many will use conjecture and outright guessing when discussing the hardness of original swords. It is important to look at the materials available to the artisans of the era, the blades produced, and the resulting accomplishments given these materials.”

I might add that a lengthy search and a good deal of discussion with researchers in this field where done as preparation in writing this article but I do not think of it as even a declarative statement about the medieval sword. I would rather call it the world as we know it today. It will change as more evidence becomes available. In fact the evidence that was not review able, a comment or line of text saying a sword was x hard, if included in the data would have shown a tendency to even softer swords on average.

I think to ignore this information would be to leave oneself with very little to support a position on the hardness of medieval swords. To question this information is the correct response. To look at it with a critical eye and an open mind is the way to broaden ones understanding, If it disagrees with what you thought reality was than one must take the same critical eye and open mind to review their particular beliefs and question the sources that their opinion was formed on.

Jeffrey Hull wrote:

(4) There was no example of any 14th Century blade tested. Such would have been nice.

I could not agree more Jeff. If I had my way we would be talking about the several hundred tested swords from each type and period, but sadly the composition of the medieval sword has not been a great area of extensive research for the reasons Chad id above.

Of the three possibly 14th C swords that I know where tested. All three were most likely case carburized and had variable hardness but did not give averages or test results as detailed as the swords in the sample for the article. They did fall in the envelope of hardnesses exhibited by the other blades.

Please let me know if this sparks any further questions Jeff and I look forward to seeing the information from the manuals you noted.

Best
Craig
Jeffrey Hull

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Thanks CJ for Reply         Reply with quote

Hello Craig:

Firstly -- my apology for the confusion of two posts -- the byzantine architecture of this forum & website made it seem that my first post had not appeared or had been deleted. I hope that the resultant simulacrum does not confuse others and distract from the topic. Onwards...

Now -- my thanks to you Craig for thoughtful and thorough answers to my commentary. I think now that I understand with clarity what you were striving to tell us all. The whole subject is fascinating -- it was cool that your article addressed it.
Cool

So anyway, I do reveal examples of what I mean regarding sword material & construction quality as per Fechtbuecher in two different written works that just recently I have finished. Such may not be revealed until published, so I will not reveal such at any online forum. Anybody who does want to read that just has to wait, or find it for himself in the Fechtbuecher.

Craig, please keep providing us with your scholarly investigations of metallurgy and craftsmanship.

Good luck,

Jeffrey

JH

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Sources-         Reply with quote

Hello Jeff

I am glad you found my responces helpful. I understand you do not want to lessen the impact of any information you are publishing with details, but I would expect it would do nothing but increase interest in your work to site the documents you have found said information in. It makes it difficult to carry on a thoughtful discussion of topics like this with out using the same information to base opinions on. I will gladly do the research to find the information but would need to know the sources you are quoting as I have not found the type of information you implied in the manuals I have searched.

Best Regards
Craig
Jeffrey Hull

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay, gratitude to moderator for gathering the various related threads together here.

Craig: I shall reach you privately with information. Aside from my own self-interest of publishing, the interpretive requirements plus the number of sources to present does actually preclude posting at any forum -- for such ends up being a de facto article. So allow me some time to gather and lay out evidence, send to you, and then you may decide if you agree or not.

Good luck,

JH

G Roebuck

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting articles. Lots to digest. I love reading reviews. Keep up the good work!!

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Jan 22: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: