Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Valiant Armoury Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 22 Jan, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:
... My point is that a lower-end maker could make a better product if he were more consistent, and combined several of the better aspects already present in various lower-end pieces.

I am not a sword maker. I am, however, a sword buyer. Someone like me may also be the sort of customer Sonny is targetting. ...

I hope this was at least somewhat helpful! ....

I think that your post was right on target, Richard! Excellent examples.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jan, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all! Happy
Steve Grisetti wrote:
I think that your post was right on target, Richard! Excellent examples.

Thanks, Steve! Happy
Like I said before, I've had a lot of experience dealing with the grip flaws on various MRL swords, so I have gotten an idea where they are good, and where they fall short.

I actually remembered another couple of examples where improvements or changes could be made, and possibly at little or no increase in cost.

Many of the Museum Replica/Windlass Steelcraft/Factory X movie swords had plastic grip cores (the Dracula Sword and Shrewsbury are two examples that I have). Many Museum Replica swords also seem to use "pleather" as a grip wrap.

Now, plastic grip cores aren't historical, but they can be more durable than the wood grip cores. However, Museum Replicas does make swords with wooden grip cores, and some like the Arbedo and Towton where the grip core is actually fairly well shaped. Others, such as the Schwert and Norman swords, are too thick as compared to many historical swords. I have had to reshape the grip core of a few of my MRL swords so the grip felt better in the hand. A more "ergonomic" grip core can help a bit with a sword's handling, at least regarding it's "feel" in the hand. The Arbedo, Patay, and Towton have been the best that I've had so far in terms of grip cores; the grips were fairly comfortable "as is". I think a "lower-end" company could have more uniformity in the materials and "feel" of their grips - MRL can get it right some of the time, just not all of the time. (They actually were better at this when they carried Del Tin Swords - the grip on my Del Tin Man-at-Arms sword is quite confortable.) And replacing the plastic with wood would make them more like historical swords. (Again, MRL can do this with some, just not with all.)

MRL grip wraps are often replaced by MRL customers; just look at the number of "grip redo" projects on these forums. This is perhaps the area where MRL falls short most often - they use great quantities of "pleather" on their sword wraps. Imitation leather just doesn't have the feel of even cheaper natural leathers. The stitching on the MRL swords is often uncomfortable in the hand, and the pleather can be slick. I've even heard of one user ripping the skin on his hands when he swung an MRL sword with a grip wrapped in imitation leather. Maybe using real leather would increase the cost, but it doesn't have to be the high-quality leather used on Albion's higher end swords. Even a less expensive leather would be an improvement over "pleather". I have replaced most of my MRL grip wraps with various leather, either pigskin or some other sort of thin lining-type leather. It might not be 100% historical, but it's better than "pleather". One I haven't changed yet is my Windlass/Factory X Dracula Sword. The grip is a bit slick (I think this is mentioned in the review here of the MRL Medieval Short Sword - basically the same sword), and could use a different wrap. Considering that MRL occasionally uses more complex wire and leather combinations on the grips (the Schwert was like this - the wire and leather or "pleather" cover was removed and a leather grip with risers put in its place), I think a similar maker could skip the wire and concentrate on using a slightly better material. I'm not suggesting that these makers utilize the finely-crafted leather-over-cord used on Albion swords and the like, but I am suggesting plainer grip wraps with better materials. Some medieval swords had plainer grips - they weren't all leather-over-cord. Again, it would fit in the concept of a sword for a simple knight or man-at-arms, versus a sword for a great lord.

I hope all these comments and observations are helpful.

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have spoken to my factory and without going in to long rehash I had a few things I would like to share with you guys.
Basically all of the previous designs that are made from this factory were designed by CAS
iberia when the factory used to produce their swords and later by ProCut when they picked up the factory (note this factory never produced for both at the same time.) Anyway all swords were made from drawings that did not necessarily go into specific details about distal taper and tang, etc.....
Long story short. These blade are actually hand forged and tempered to designs based on what the previous companies (CAS and ProCut requested) The factory has assured me that they can produce any these swords with correct proportions etc but they would need (samples for examples) funny huh
I look at them as a giant sword xerox machine so maybe I should commission some samples be made from the new designs I have by someone skilled in swordsmithing and send those over to the factory. That way I get to stay in the retail price range that I want. No longer called entry level maybe we'll just say value priced swords for now (wink).
Anyway those are my thoughts. Let me know what you guys think.
Sonny
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I *think* that some folks might get touchy about having their stuff duplicated. You may have to work around a bit to find a partner, but other firms have similar arrangements up the stack. It will be interesting to see what kind of licensing arrangement you can work out. To just duplicate somebody else's work without such an arrangement would almost certainly cause a rift between your firm, the maker in question, and at least some of the collecting community (assuming that matters).

Perhaps a different angle to consider is that the Philipines also has a martial heritage (assuming your factory is there). Maybe they could tap local resources regarding what makes a better sword, then angle to a Euro aesthetic?

Another option might be to look into acquiring some actual period pieces for their reference.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe,

If you read my post carefully I said "maybe I should commission some samples be made from the new designs I have by someone skilled in swordsmithing and send those over to the factory " Notice I said my designs. I would never steal another persons work. The idea of commissioning work for a sample implies the parties involved are aware of the agreement and terms fully. I imagine that someone not wanting his work duplicated would not agree to do the work in the first place. On the other hand some artist might find the idea of their work being circulated on a large scale and being credited for their work quite appealing.
I just wanted to make this clear before I get accused of stealing someones work.
Thanks
Sonny
Sean Belair
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if your factory can produce whatever you need, then go for the gold standard. you have an opportunity to create quality accurate sword reproductions at a relatively low cost. hire a respectable custom smith and find the designs you like. have the smith produce the prototypes and oversee the construction (to insure quality assembly).
what is important is that you maintain a high standard for both historical accuracy and quality (good customer service never hurt anyone ither).
good luck
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah. Well. I can't say much about the viability of the designing, commissioning, then copying thing; I believe it would usually be cheaper to hire a sword researcher to examine a historical blade and make notes on its detailed properties like balance, weight, distal and profile taper, etc.--or to do such research yourself. I have no experience whatsoever with making swords myself, though, so I may be way off the mark in this one.

Anyway, I see this effort on Valiant's part to improve its sword designs is quite commendable. And somehow I have the thought that the shell-hilt of the sword I linked to above could be combined with a single-edged blade to produce a cutlass model for pirate enthusiasts. Wink
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sonny Suttles wrote:
I look at them as a giant sword xerox machine so maybe I should commission some samples be made from the new designs I have by someone skilled in swordsmithing and send those over to the factory. That way I get to stay in the retail price range that I want. No longer called entry level maybe we'll just say value priced swords for now (wink).

Hi Sonny! Happy

I hope you don't mind if I add a few more of my thoughts regarding lower-end swords based on my experience with owning several MRL's. This thought is linked to your comments about design. Finding designs you like is fine, but I would suggest that you keep it fairly simple. I'm not saying keep it dull, just think carefully what details you can add well within your limitations, and what might not work given your limits.

Let me use an example from one of my Windlass Steelcraft swords. My WIndlass/Factory X Dracula Sword (aka the MRL Medieval Short Sword) is a nice little sword for it's price (even it's original retail price of around $200). Museum Replicas seems to do a bit better with the shorter swords. The blade is one of the few cut-and-thrust swords made by Windlass that is actually stiff enough for a proper thrust, in part due to it's broad blade. There are a few things in regards to the grip that could have been better, and I've already covered them previously. However, even though the pommel is of a roughly decent size and shape, the attempts by Windlass to replicate some finer details fell a bit short.

The Dracula/Medieval Short Sword is based loosely on the Oakeshott Type XIV in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The original sword has an engraved disk around the rim of the wheel pommel. Windlass tried to replicate this, but the letters came out muddy and "cheap" looking.

Overall, the Dracula sword is a pretty good looking sword, and the end of the fairly wide tang is peened over the pommel. It seems to stay pretty tight with handling. The looks of this one would have been improved if Windlass had never attempted the engraved letters. A plain brass pommel, or better yet a plain steel pommel, would have made this sword look even better.

I think that simpler can be okay; some medieval swords were fairly utilitarian in appearance. Keep the design parameters well within what can reasonably be done.

I hope this helped!

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sonny Suttles wrote:
Sonny,

Notice I said my designs. I would never steal another persons work.

Sonny,

Poor phrasing on my part. Did not mean to imply you would steal other designs. Just that I have asked people to copy odds and ends over the years for my consumption, usually only from photos, and unless it was a period piece, not met with much success in the effort.

Sorry about that.

-Joe

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:
... Let me use an example from one of my Windlass Steelcraft swords. My WIndlass/Factory X Dracula Sword (aka the MRL Medieval Short Sword) is a nice little sword for it's price (even it's original retail price of around $200). ...

I have one of these swords, also. This is a very good example of a well-made "value-priced" sword. Here is a link to the myArmoury review of the Windlass Steelcrafts Medieval Short Sword

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sonny Suttles wrote:
... so maybe I should commission some samples be made from the new designs I have by someone skilled in swordsmithing and send those over to the factory. That way I get to stay in the retail price range that I want. No longer called entry level maybe we'll just say value priced swords for now (wink).
Anyway those are my thoughts. Let me know what you guys think.
Sonny

Sonny, I think this is a great idea. Even better is if you can arrange a dialog between the designer and the factory, so that they can exchange ideas and try to optimize the features/value vs cost equation.

- Sir Toby Belch
Sean Belair
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

exactly, the designer must oversee the production to insure accuracy
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What is the general opinion between the thin blunted edge for re-enacting purposes as opposed to the sharpened edge for cutting. At the shot show in Florida a few weeks ago I spoke with the people at MRL and they expressed that the thin blunted edge was required for a "battle ready" sword.
Note: These are not my terms. They are just the terms I heard spoken while around CAS, Cold Steel, MRL. etc.... at the show. I know that there is many conflicting views as to whether the term "Battle Ready" should be used. I am not looking to debate that point in this post. I am just looking for general view points regarding the 2 option I spoke of.

Thinly Blunted edge = Battle Ready / Stage Ready
Sharpened Edge = Functional

Functional and Battle ready are not the same thing I was told.
I have my own opinions on this but I would like to hear from you guys.

Thanks again so much all of you for your valued input.

Sonny Suttles
Valiant Armoury
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That seems like quite a workable classification system. I take it that you're going to make two different product lines, one for "battle ready" reenactment blunts and another for "functional" sharps? If so, that sounds like the way to go. I'll be waiting for news about the new designs.

BTW, this review has several good points about the quality people would expect from a good blunt:

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_sc_wast.html

so it might be of some use.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you could benefit from offering both blunted and sharp versions, though a sword designed to be blunt and then sharpened or a sword designed to be sharpened that is then blunted won't be as good as a sword designed from the ground up for a specific purpose.

Not to open the term debate, but battle-ready should go with sharp, in my opinion. Our forefathers didn't go to war with purposefully blunted swords. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To me sharp is sharp and sharp = dangerous at all times, blunt is blunt and blunt = less dangerous at all times.

This is clear and easy to understand.

Functional and battle ready on the other hand are, in my opinion, just vaguely defined hype terms whose meaning seems to shift at the whim of the person writing ad copy. I suspect battle ready and functional are used precisely because they do not communicate a clear message to the consumer, and because it sounds much more cool to have a battle ready sword than a not sharp one, especially to certain key consumer segments. I also have to wonder if lawyers have told some of these firms that not sharp can be argued as not weapon when shipped.

For sake of clarity, it would be interesting to see the industry explain how battle ready differs from a blunt. If the battle ready edge is thinner than a standard blunt, whatever that might be, is it a better safety option than a blunt? I suspect not as I've been able to cut effectively using thin blunt edges. Still if battle ready is going to be the industry catch phrase for product aimed at re-enactment and stage, the industry should probably consider defining a standard edge measure that is understood across companies and product lines to remove consumer confusion. Functional as a catch phrase for sharp is easy enough to work with if its use is standardized. Otherwise buyers cannot in confidence know what they are buying from different vendors.

J F. McBrayer

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: blunt vs. sharp         Reply with quote

I would recommend keeping a fairly significant distinction between the sharp and blunt product lines. MRL's swords are sold blunt, but intended to be sharpened, and I have heard many complaints that the blunt edges are too fine for safe use in historical fencing. Purpose-designed sharps and purpose-designed blunts would be better for both purposes. Of course, it's understandable if this can't be done for cost reasons (increases both design and inventory costs, I suppose).

Also, a purpose-built traditional training sword (longsword foil) in the sub-$300 price range would have a built-in market (for WMA club swords, especially) if it was of reasonable quality. Right now the only purpose-built training swords are from the higher-end production makers, and from semi-custom makers, leaving a gap in the market. If you got the design right, it ought, I would think, to be even cheaper to produce than your main lineup.
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry resurrect an old thread but..

I was looking around the sight and I found this post from right after I bought Valiant Armoury. It interesting to look back back at how we started out.

Sonny

www.valiant-armoury.com
www.customswordshoppe.com
Luke Zechman

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good Thread... 2007 was right around the time that I started getting more serious about my interest in history, and more specifically military history. Always been a fan though. Just got home from a night of bar tending and it is almost morning, so I didn't read the entire thread. I feel like Valiant Armoury has a beautiful line of swords, which intrigue me. The "Warder" is my most favorite fantasy based blade ever. I think the newer lines are a huge improvement over the old line. Throw handling, historical value, and functionality away, the older line never looked right to me, and I knew very little about swords. I have looked and looked and drawn, read about, hilted, researched, handled, and lusted after swords very intensely for the past two years, and your new line looks great in my eyes. I will most likely own a Valiant sword someday, as soon as someone can help me accept a threaded nut. I am probably just being ignorant, but I would undoubtedly purchase a Valiant sword (The Bristol) if it where peened. Either way... great job to Sonny and all the people at Valiant Armoury.

Suggestions For Future Swords of the Valhalla Line

1. The Sword of Truth... The sword of the Seeker from Terry Goodkind's books.

2. Sting... From the Hobbit. (and I don't mean a copy of the one from Peter Jackson's movie)

3. The Beastmaster Sword... yeah I know I am a geek, but the one from the movies always looked sweet.

Also at this point in time I sense an interest in even older sword styles then what is currently in your line up. If you guys added a new line that focused on the accurate reproduction of ancient swords... I would probably do a cartwheel. I wanna see a falcata, kopis, sica, xiphos, iron age German swords, Celtic swords. There is a real lack of these in the market. If it could be done, then it should be done.
Aaron Henley

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luke Zechman wrote:
Suggestions For Future Swords of the Valhalla Line

1. The Sword of Truth... The sword of the Seeker from Terry Goodkind's books.

Luke, I would absolutely love to see a licensed Sword of Truth made. Unfortunately, Terry is a real stickler about sharing his creative property. Not that I blame him, the man can do what he wants with something that is by all means his, but he takes "staying out of the limelight" to a whole new level. I don't think his experience with Legend of the Seeker will alleviate his paranoia in the least bit.

One gentleman, in 2006, took a few Del Tin Orcrist blades from the Albion Moat sale and made a few of his own Sword of Truths. It was surprising how close the Orcrist blade looked to the one in each chapter heading, and the swords turned out exceptionally well. He sold one at one point and Terry had the sale reversed, though commissioned one or two from him for personal use. I've still got the pictures of them.

Attachment: 97.82 KB
000_0436.jpg

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Valiant Armoury
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: