Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hospitaller´s armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jan, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Obviously, the type of sword that the Knights of Malta/Hospitallers would have used is very dependent on the time frame. If you are thinking of the weapons that would have been used during the 1565 Siege of Malta, that is just a tad early for either of the examples mentioned above, as you can tell by the dates. I hope this is helpful.

Steve,

I think my source may have been using the term "rapier" in a more general sense. I wouldn't be surprised; it's more of a "popular history" than an academic tome. It's an interesting read, though, and worth it for its entertainment value alone. The book The Knights of Malta by H. J. A. Sire seems to be a more academic source (the author actually had the assistance of several current members of the Order of Malta, including the Grand Master), but it doesn't really talk about the arms and armour.

I was actually wondering if the "rapiers" carried by the Knights of Malta would be more along the lines of a "sword-rapier" (sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology - I'm not really a terminology purist), just like the one you showed. Forgot to mention that; thanks for bringing it up! Happy

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jan, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!
Marco Signore wrote:
While Knights of Malta retained several Hospitals on the Island, and even carried on some kind of medical research, they were no longer namend "hospitallers". Their role remained pretty much true to their origins as a non-military, hospitaller order, but thename was changed (and I think they were still known as Kinghts of St. John, according to the historical fonts).

Marco,

While I agree that the Knights of St. John do appear to have dropped Hospitaller from their official name, my point is that they are sometimes referred to as "Hospitallers" in some sources. They still refer to their hospitaller work today, so they could unofficially be referred to as "hospitallers". It could be a valid search term for information even on the later order, depending upon how a source lists them. Sources don't always use the official name.

Anyway, here's some interesting information regarding the history of the Knights of St. John. The first part is taken from the official web site of the Order of Malta (full name apparently Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta):
Sovereign Order of Malta wrote:

1050 Jerusalem

The birth of the Order dates back to around 1050. According to the chronicles, merchants from the ancient Marine Republic of Amalfi obtained from the Caliph of Egypt the authorisation to build a church, convent and hospital in Jerusalem, to care for pilgrims of any religious faith or race. The Order of St. John of Jerusalem - the monastic community that ran the hospital for the pilgrims in the Holy Land - became independent under the guidance of the Blessed Gérard. With the Bull of 15 February 1113, Pope Paschal II approved the foundation of the Hospital and placed it under the aegis of the Holy See, granting it the right to freely elect its superiors without any interference by other secular or religious authorities. By virtue of the Papal Bull, the Hospital became an Order exempt from the Church.

The role of the Order was to participate in the military defence of the sick, the pilgrims and the territories that the Crusaders had conquered from the Moslems. The Order thus became both religious and military. All the Knights were Religious, bound by the three monastic vows of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience.

As time went on, the Order adopted the white eight-pointed Cross that is still the symbol of St. John today, and broadened its charitable mission to include the duty of protecting Christendom.

1310 - Rhodes

When the last Christian stronghold in the Holy Land fell in 1291, the Order settled first in Cyprus and then, in 1310, led by the Grand Master Fra' Foulques de Villaret, on the island of Rhodes.

From that moment on, the defence of the Christian world required the organisation of a naval force. So the Order built a powerful fleet and sailed the Eastern Mediterranean, fighting many famous battles for the sake of Christendom - for example, the Crusades in Syria and Egypt.
The independence from other nations granted by Pontifical deed, and the universally recognised right to maintain and deploy armed forces, were the grounds for the international sovereignty of the Order from its beginning.
In the early 14th Century, the members of the Order who came to Rhodes from all over Europe and the institutions of the Order in Europe were grouped according to languages spoken. There were thus, initially, seven such groups of Langues (Tongues): Provence, Auvergne, France, Italy, Aragon (Navarre), England (with Scotland and Ireland) and Germany. In 1492 Castille and Portugal split off from the Langue of Aragon and constituted the eighth Langue. Each Langue included the Priories or Grandpriories, Bailiwicks and Commanderies.

The Order was governed by the Grand Master (the Prince of Rhodes) and the Council, minted its own money and maintained diplomatic relations with other States. The high offices of the Order were given to representatives of different Langues; and the seat of the Order, the Convent, was composed of various nationalities.

1530 - Malta

After six months of siege and fierce combats against the fleet and army of Sultan Soliman the Magnificent, the Knights were forced to surrender in 1523. They left Rhodes with military honours.
The Order remained without a territory of its own until 1530, when the Grand Master Fra' Philippe de Villiers de l'Isle Adam took possession of the island of Malta, a gift of the Emperor Charles V with the approval of Pope Clement VII.
It was established that the Order should remain neutral in any war between Christian nations.
In 1565 the Knights, led by the Grand Master Fra' Jean de la Vallette (after whom the capital of Malta, Valletta, was named), defended the island from attack and the Great Siege carried by the Turks (which lasted over three months).

1571 - The Battle of Lepanto

The fleet of the Order, then one of the most powerful in the Mediterranean, contributed to the ultimate destruction of the Ottoman naval power in the battle of Lepanto in 1571.

1798 - in exile

Two hundred years later, in 1798, Napoleon Bonaparte occupied the island during his Egyptian campaign. The Knights, because of the Rule of the Order that prohibited them to raise weapons against other Christians, were forced to leave Malta. In 1800 the British occupied Malta, but although the sovereign rights of the Order in the island of Malta had been recognised with the Treaty of Amiens (1802), the Order was never allowed to return to Malta.

1834 - Rome

After having temporarily resided in Messina, Catania and Ferrara, in 1834 the Order settled in Rome, where it owned the Palace of Malta in Via Condotti 68 and the Villa on the Aventine, both of which have extraterritoriality status.

The 20th and 21th Century

From then, the original hospitaller mission became the main activity of the Order, and grew stronger throughout the last century, especially because of the contribution of the activities carried out by the Grandpriories and National Associations in the various countries of the world.
Large-scale hospitaller and charitable activities were carried out during World Wars I and II under Grand Master Fra' Ludovico Chigi della Rovere Albani and further intensified under Grand Master Fra' Angelo de Mojana di Cologna (1962-1988), whom the current Prince and Grand Master Fra' Andrew Bertie has succeeded.
To discover more about the current activities of the Order, please visit the Medical and Humanitarian Activities in the Order in Action section.

HOW THE ORDER IS KNOWN

Since the Order’s founding 900 years ago, many names have been used to identify it. Its history has been one of movement from one country to another, which has added to the proliferation of its names.

At first, the knights were called the Knights Hospitaller (or Hospitallers), which described their mission. But they were also called the Knights of St John of Jerusalem, because of their presence in the Holy Land. After conquering the island of Rhodes in 1310, they became the Knights of Rhodes. In 1530 Emperor Charles V ceded the island of Malta to the Knights. And from that time, the members of the Order took the name that is still the most used today: Knights of Malta.

And this is from the Catholic Encyclopedia web site:
Catholic Encyclopedia wrote:

Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem

(Also known as KNIGHTS OF MALTA).

The most important of all the military orders, both for the extent of its area and for its duration. It is said to have existed before the Crusades and is not extinct at the present time. During this long career it has not always borne the same name. Known as Hospitallers of Jerusalem until 1309, the members were called Knights of Rhodes from 1309 till 1522, and have been called Knights of Malta since 1530.

And here's a link to an unofficial guide of the Knights Hospitaller, which includes information through their time in Cyprus and Rhodes, up to their establishment on Malta and the present day (it doesn't have a lot of information, but it does have a lot of links - unfortunately, many of the links appear to be broken, especially in the section about Malta):

http://www.webpages.free-online.co.uk/ksj/ksj.html

And a little bit, including some definitions of ranks within the order, from The Age of Chivalry web site. Again, this includes a little information about Rhodes and Malta:

http://www.taoc.co.uk/content/view/20/47/

And here's one that has a pictures section (I already posted a few from here):

http://www2.prestel.co.uk/church/oosj/history.htm

All three of the above links were found searching for Knights Hospitaller. I agree it wasn't their official name, but it is a valid search term for information regarding the Order of St. John.

There's some stuff out there, you just have to know where to look! Wink

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jan, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again!

Here's an interesting reproduction of the appearance of a pair of Knights of Malta in uniform. I wouldn't swear to the accuracy of the details, but it gives you a general idea of how the tabard fit over armour, even armour with large pauldrons. This was taken from one of the web sites that I linked to earlier. Note the figure on the left:

Attachment: 34.94 KB
uniform2.JPG
Uniform of the Knigths of Malta.

Prince Andrew of Armar
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jan, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rodolfo Martínez wrote:

And about their weaponry, i know little more than nothing about rapiers, but, wasn´t more effective a longsword to face the light armored Turks?
I´m not saying that rapiers aren´t good weapons, they have an amazing reach, but as far as i know most of them were most used as duel weapons.
Thanks

Here's a small image that can give you an idea of the appearance of the Turks at the seige of Malta of 1565:

Attachment: 18.04 KB
otto_1.jpg
Siege of Malta 1565.

Prince Andrew of Armar
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ack! Late 17th-century Hospitalers!
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Ack! Late 17th-century Hospitalers!

Lafayette,

Could you elaborate on why you had that reaction? I understand that the Knights of Malta by that period were perhaps not technically known as "hospitallers", but my point was that you can find information for the later incarnations of the Knights of St. John by doing a search using the term "Knights Hospitaller".

Of course, I have the feeling that the cross on the heraldic tabard may not be correct. They may have used the Maltese cross, but I'm not clear on when each form of the cross was in use. I posted the image as an example of how a tabard or similar garment may be worn over armour with pauldrons; I'm fully aware of the problems using "artists' renditions" versus contemporary images.

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jan, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again!

I found an interesting painting of the Grand Master of the Order of St. John during the period of the siege of Malta, Jean de la Valette. It shows an alternative to the heraldic tabard or sopravest; the Grand Master has the Order's cross painted (and possibly engraved or embossed) right onto his breastplate. This is similar to that seen on the effigy of Don Juan de Vergara, Proctor of the Langue of Castile from 1575. I'm not sure if the painting is contemporary with the siege of Malta, but it's a good visual representation of the sort of thing seen on de Vergara's breastplate.

Here's the information from the web site where I found the painting:
Quote:

Malte (Tableau de Dupré François Xavier - collection des musées nationaux - Château de Trianon.)
Jean Parisot de la Valette, Grand Maître de l'Ordre de Malte (1456-1568)
- Jean de Lavalette Parisot était Grand Prieur de St Gilles, puis Grand Maître de l’Ordre. La Capitale de la République actuelle de Malte porte encore le nom de Lavalette.

Stay safe!

Attachment: 30.72 KB
JeanParisotLaValette.jpg
Grand Master Jean de la Valette.

Prince Andrew of Armar
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jan, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Fellows!
Take a look to this armour, i think that they would embose or engrave the cross instead of painting it, mayde painter painted it to make more visible the cross.
Iwouldn´t wear a tabard, i mean, iwould prefer an engraved cross insted of a loose supravest wich flies arroun me everytime i deliver a chop. Maybe, like cloacks, supravests were more important to wear during ceremonies, while not being an obligated ornament during battle.
Lucky of them that they didn´t need too much signals to realize who is a friend or who is a foe.

Attachment: 36.13 KB
Armadura de caballero de Malta.jpg

¨Sólo me desenvainarás por honor y nunca me envainarás sin gloria¨
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
Hello Fellows!
Take a look to this armour, i think that they would embose or engrave the cross instead of painting it, mayde painter painted it to make more visible the cross.

Rodolfo,

It is possible that it was engraved and painted or enamelled. Museum curators of the past (Victorian?) had a tendency to scrub armours clean so they would be nice and shiny. This destroyed much of the original finish. Helmets were definitely painted occasionally, and plate harness was often decorated with various techniques (russetting or browning, gilding, black & white armour, etc.). It is possible that the crosses were sometimes painted, and the paint has now been lost. It is also possible that they weren't painted and only engraved or etched. It's also possible that the cross was left polished, and the surrounding ground blackened. Hey, that might actually be a pretty cool effect! (If you look closely at the painting of Grand Master Jean de la Valette, it appears that his armour may be blackened.)

I think that the Knights of Malta would want their crosses displayed prominently; I think it was a badge of honour. There were religious elements to the conflict after all. Most depictions of the time seem to show some sort of uniform worn in battle, whether it be a sopravest, tabard, or painted cross.

That armour is definitely the sort of thing I've seen in the photos in the Osprey book, though! Thanks for the photo. Happy

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jan, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:
Could you elaborate on why you had that reaction? I understand that the Knights of Malta by that period were perhaps not technically known as "hospitallers", but my point was that you can find information for the later incarnations of the Knights of St. John by doing a search using the term "Knights Hospitaller".

Of course, I have the feeling that the cross on the heraldic tabard may not be correct. They may have used the Maltese cross, but I'm not clear on when each form of the cross was in use. I posted the image as an example of how a tabard or similar garment may be worn over armour with pauldrons; I'm fully aware of the problems using "artists' renditions" versus contemporary images.

I was commenting on the illustration of those Maltese knights in uniform--the fashion is late 17th-century or early 18th, and it's a little mind-boggling to see that they'd go the bother of dressing in (then-obsolete) armor just to complete the appearance. And if the one on the right is wearing a smallsword blade...

...well, just shows how far people can go when they're trying to present a good appearance in ceremonial dress at a time when the Knights of St. John themselves were no longer the dominant Christian naval power in the Mediterranean.
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jan, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
I was commenting on the illustration of those Maltese knights in uniform--the fashion is late 17th-century or early 18th, and it's a little mind-boggling to see that they'd go the bother of dressing in (then-obsolete) armor just to complete the appearance. And if the one on the right is wearing a smallsword blade...

...well, just shows how far people can go when they're trying to present a good appearance in ceremonial dress at a time when the Knights of St. John themselves were no longer the dominant Christian naval power in the Mediterranean.

It was fairly popular amongst nobility to have their portraits painted showing them in armour. If I recall correctly, pieces were sometimes pulled out of storage in armouries just for the portrait sitting. Monarchs and nobles up to the end of the eighteenth century continued to be shown in armour in some portraits, as symbols of rank and entitlement.

The portrait of King George III of England of circa 1783 is a good example. The king is shown in full armour long after armour had been abandoned on the battlefield. The breastplate bears the star insignia of the Order of the Garter. There is a sword with an elaborate pommel at the king's side, and he carries a baton in his left hand.

I think the image of the Knights of Malta in the dress of the late 17th-early 18th century may be of the same kind. Of course, maybe the artists just got his details wrong.

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jan, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mmm... that XVII century tabard doesn´t seems to be much loose, specially with those big pauldrons...
I´ve read before that Malta Knight´s half armours were for foot combat. And the Full ones for horsed combat. Please correct me if i´m wrong.
I think that an armour reflects your acquisitive power, so if a knight use a half armour, it´s becouse it was the best thing he could afford. There are a lot of full harnesses in Malta, i don´t think that a knight, knowing that legs armour don´t limit your movement, would buy a half armour if he could have a full one. I mean, if so, he would be sacrificing a lot of protection for a little more movement. You can make somersaults while wearing a full armour, so Why not buyng one if you have the money?
Both armours were designed for foot combat and there is not a huge difference of weight between them.

Steven H

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jan, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Half-armour is not necessarily just about money. It does have practical advantages. While mobility with leg armour is not impaired much, one is still more mobile without it, especially because of the weight. There are plenty of accounts of knights and others who clearly owned full armour not using it when they didn't think they'd need it. A decision made because of the weight and heat exhaustion problems.

Full leg armour is certainly more practical and necessary for cavalry than for infantry.

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jan, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As leg armour doesn´t mean so much plus weight i don´t think that is much more mobility advantage, but a protction disadvantage. If you recive an harquebuz bullet shot in your toe or leg (Wich, if a far shooted not full powered bullet, will not cause any or much damage to you if using leg armour) without any protection, your mobility will decrease dramatically, believe me, it´s not like it´s said that you recieve a bullet shot or an arrow in your leg and you still can made rude Rambo stuff. You must be very unlucky to recive a shot in your toe, or leg (In Malta the Turks shoted thousands of rounds against them), but a sword or any other weapon can more easily harm them, in Flos Duellatorum, Dei Fiori says that if your opponent tries to hit hour head, hit his legs, and vice versa. Not even talking about the gonads!. i´m not saying that those men were weak, they were fighting for their faith and they would fight even if burned. See the example given by Richard in the other topic, it´s not about half armours, but pay attention to the ¨fanatism¨, or sense of duty of those knights.

Quote:
Just before light the soldiers of Christ took up their positions; there were only sixty left. The senior officers, Eguarras, "Colonel Mas", and a Captain Miranda were too badly wounded to stand, so they sat, Eguaras weak from loss of blood and Miranda horribly scorched by wildfire, in chairs at the main breach, Mas, whose leg was smashed by bullet wounds, sitting on a log. At six a.m. the entire Turkish army attacked; even galleys sailed in to bombard the stinking mound of rubble and rotting corpses, regardless of fire from St. Angelo. Yet for four hours the defenders answered them with guns and grenades, until at last they stormed in. Juan de Eguaras, hurled from his chair, jumped up with a boarding pike before a scimitar took his head off, while Mas, sitting on his log, slew several Turks with his great two-handed sword. An Italian lit a beacon to tell his Master it was over. Only nine brethren - probably mortally wounded - were taken alive, though a handful of Maltese swam to safety. It had cost an army, acknowledged as the best of its time, nearly five weeks, 18,000 rounds of cannon-shot and 8,000 men to gain this little fort.

"Allah," said Mustafa, looking across at St. Angelo, "if this small son cost so much, what do we pay for his father?"

About full armour, you are totally right that they are better for cavalrymen, but saying that half armours had more mobility than full armours smells like the clumsy armour myth. Again you are right that half armours had more mobility, but it wasn´t a significative difference.
If you are worried about overheating, i think that the torso is more important but as you will not take away your armour there are no much options, maybe a withe tabard will protect you from the sunlight. About heat again, i think that their arms were suffering becouse of the heat too, but they hadn´t taken away their arms armour (And thinking about the arms, they have more offensive power than legs during battle, if not, Mas wouldn´t had a glorious death). Heat and weight are factors wich a knight or armored men-at-arms must or should learn to deal with, not to fight against. I´ve read somewhere (Please correct me if i´m wrong) that veteran knights or men-at-arms were able to fight 24 hs with their suits on.
If you are a knight and you wear a full armour and you have to dismount or you are unhorsed, you´ll have to fight with your legs armour if you like it or not. These guys, as part of their training, had to be able to perform acrobatics with their full armours on. So, there is no much movement problem.

Half armours were great protection for the most important parts of human body and had a bit more movement than three quarter and full ones, but, in my case, if having the money, i would prefer a full harness.

Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jan, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:

It was fairly popular amongst nobility to have their portraits painted showing them in armour. If I recall correctly, pieces were sometimes pulled out of storage in armouries just for the portrait sitting. Monarchs and nobles up to the end of the eighteenth century continued to be shown in armour in some portraits, as symbols of rank and entitlement.

The portrait of King George III of England of circa 1783 is a good example. The king is shown in full armour long after armour had been abandoned on the battlefield. The breastplate bears the star insignia of the Order of the Garter. There is a sword with an elaborate pommel at the king's side, and he carries a baton in his left hand.

I think the image of the Knights of Malta in the dress of the late 17th-early 18th century may be of the same kind. Of course, maybe the artists just got his details wrong.

I'm perfectly aware of that, since I have a collection of images of 18th-century kings and military leaders in armors of previous centuries. The one I like best is of an Austrian general--I forgot his name and I saved it under a non-descriptive filename that was no help in finding out who he was. But I've never really seen such sumptuous garments as the tabard (with a lace-decorated hem? Or were those lace canions?) added to such armors except for the ermine cloaks of the royalty, and the sight of it is a little...overwhelming, so to say.

But if those people are French, then that's just to be expected. Louis XIV is the one with the most sumptuous armored pose in that humble collection of mine, after all.

And here I am wishing Seydlitz had been painted in a full 15th- or 16th-century harness!

Last edited by Lafayette C Curtis on Sun 21 Jan, 2007 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jan, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, anybody wishing to make a practical comparison between half-armors and full suits of plate really ought to try those things out themselves. Half-armor is often made of thicker and heavier steel than full harnesses--trading coverage for increased strength and integrity. However, full harnesses aren't really all that comfortable either--and one of the most difficult things to adapt with is the sabatons. If you're not on horseback, they're a bit tiring to wear and also "enhances" the sensation of having a hot, sweaty foot. In fact, I have an amateur fancy to say that three-quarters armor might have been invented specifically to get rid of those sabatons.

After all, wouldn't we expect the Maltese defenders to spend at least part of their time fighting behind fortification walls? This would have helped compensate a great deal for the reduced coverage of half- and three-quarters armor.
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jan, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
After all, wouldn't we expect the Maltese defenders to spend at least part of their time fighting behind fortification walls? This would have helped compensate a great deal for the reduced coverage of half- and three-quarters armor

Yes it´s true, but the defenders should have in mind that a fortification is not an impregnable fortress, specially if your enemy is a Turk army with hundreds of pieces of artillery shooting all day only having in mind to erase you from the Earth.

In the other hand, neighter sabatons nor armour were comfortable to wear, but they still used them becouse they were not a grat problem to deal with. This is like the super heavy armour myth. Ihave a friend that says me that armored guys used
to take away their sabatons when unhorsed or dismounting, but i think that in the middle of the battle that is not an option. Advantages and disadvantages vary between armours. And that may depend on the owner´s choice. In my case i prefer a full suit and not for that i´m a fool who prefers more weight instead of more mobility. I have heard that some full suits had proof cuirlass to prevent bullet shots too. Didn´t those guys used to lubricate their armours to prevent rusting and a fall of mobility?
If i´m wrong with all these stuff, please correct me, but i still think that a better option is a full one.
I´m not saying that half armours aren´t great protection, but i think one armour shouldn´t repace the other (I talking about same quality armours).

Thanks.

P.D.
Did Malta horses had full armours, of only helmets and the frontal protection?

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jan, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
Quote:
After all, wouldn't we expect the Maltese defenders to spend at least part of their time fighting behind fortification walls? This would have helped compensate a great deal for the reduced coverage of half- and three-quarters armor
Yes it´s true, but the defenders should have in mind that a fortification is not an impregnable fortress, specially if your enemy is a Turk army with hundreds of pieces of artillery shooting all day only having in mind to erase you from the Earth.

In the other hand, neighter sabatons nor armour were comfortable to wear, but they still used them becouse they were not a grat problem to deal with. This is like the super heavy armour myth. Ihave a friend that says me that armored guys used
to take away their sabatons when unhorsed or dismounting, but i think that in the middle of the battle that is not an option. Advantages and disadvantages vary between armours. And that may depend on the owner´s choice. In my case i prefer a full suit and not for that i´m a fool who prefers more weight instead of more mobility....

There has been some interesting theoretical discussion in this thread about about how much armour people wore and why. However, the historical fact is that, by the time of the Siege of Malta in 1565, the use of armour was already in decline. Oakeshott, in his European Weapons and Armour From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution, places the turning point at the Battle of Pavia in 1525:

Ewart Oakeshott wrote:
It was also a watershed in the history of armour, for by eleven o’clock on that Friday morning, the Imperial arquebusiers had finally made it plain that no force of armoured chivalry could any longer be effective against the power of the bullet. ... in 1525, Pavia brought home the realization that this (i.e., the full harness of plate) would at last have to be abandoned.

I hope that this helps.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jan, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That´s right, the appearance of the fire guns triggered the decline of the armour, but the point is that during the siege of Malta both types of armour were still used. The Harquebuz shot is not very powerful at certain distance because the spherical bullet slows down very quickly. If there is a gun that truly put Gendarmes or any armored guy against the wall, were muskets, but they weren´t very common weapons during the early 1500. Maybe in Malta Turks used guns as powerful as muskets, but that scapes from my knowledge. There are some examples of cuirlass with bullet marks, i will post other one in the next post (But there are not full proof armours, it was more like making thiker the vital parts and the rest as it is). I´ve never seen a full suit with a proof breastplate, it might be any, i think that it was more a half armour business.
The horse armour was abolished during that century in countries like Spain, only letting it to be protected with frontal armour. But i don´t know if in Italy, France or Burgundy (Were i think that they were abolished too) were still used.
I have an italian´s horse armour from XVI century, but i´m not sure if it is from early 1500 or if wasn´t abolished in Italy.

Some days ago a friend told me that Samurai warriors, after having contact with portuguese, used to wear spanish breasplates (Only the richest ones could afford them), with bullet shot´s marks on them as a sign of proof armours. (That goes against the metal cutter katana myth too)

Attachment: 68.98 KB
IArmadura Vienna.jpg
I don´t know if t is a full harness, i can´t guess, but if my sight doesn´t betrays me, it has a bullet mark on it.

Attachment: 17.49 KB
italianhorse3armor.jpg
XvI Century horse Italian harness

Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jan, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*grins* And if you could have personal preference for full suits, then those 16th-century soldiers should be free to have personal preferences for three-quarters or half-armor too. Wink

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hospitaller´s armour
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: