Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Roman armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Roman armor         Reply with quote

I was just reading this old review

http://www.archaeology.org/online/reviews/hborome/index.html

...of the HBO series 'Rome'. The reviewer, allegedly a professor of antiquities, claimed that there was no evidence of Roman soldiers using Mail armor until two centuries after the time of Julius Caesar. I always understood that Mail armor ('Lorica Hamata') was precisely what they were using in this period and it was the Lorica Segmentata which came much later. Can somebody verify this?

Jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lorica hamata is quite correct for the period, and my understanding is that the Romans are thought to have adopted mail during their early conflicts with the Gauls. Lorica hamata would have been the standard for at least a century prior to Caesar's death, and lorica segmentata did not become prominent until the middle of the first century AD.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Before hamata they used a solid brestplate to my knowlege, taking on maille very early in their Imperial stretch (from the Gauls, possibly the Celts, as Celt in Roman terms is anything north of the Latins IIRC). Segmentata exsisted later, along side hamata, and I'm currently under the impression that segmentata was a "cheaper alternitive" for armour to maille.

M.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Before hamata they used a solid brestplate to my knowlege, taking on maille very early in their Imperial stretch (from the Gauls, possibly the Celts, as Celt in Roman terms is anything north of the Latins IIRC). Segmentata exsisted later, along side hamata, and I'm currently under the impression that segmentata was a "cheaper alternitive" for armour to maille.

M.

Thats exactly what I thought. It's yet another case of academia being incredibly off-base when it comes to weapons and armor. Somebody needs to advise "Paul B. Harvey, Jr., proffesor of ancient history and classical languages in the Department of Classics and Ancient Mediterranean Studies and in the Department of History at Penn State University" of his error.

Jean

C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Before hamata they used a solid brestplate to my knowlege, taking on maille very early in their Imperial stretch (from the Gauls, possibly the Celts, as Celt in Roman terms is anything north of the Latins IIRC).

Are you certain you don't mean "in their republican stretch?" You're absolutely correct that it is generally believed that the Romans adopted mail from the Gauls. If I'm not mistaken, lorica hamata wasin use at least as early as the 2nd Century BCE.
Here are two images of the Vachères warrior, a statue of a Gaul wearing mail in the same style as the Roman lorica hamata, dating from the 1st century BCE.

Last edited by C.L. Miller on Tue 16 Jan, 2007 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C.L. Miller wrote:

Are you certain you don't mean "in their republican stretch?" You're absolutely correct that it is generally believed that the Romans adopted mail from the Gauls. If I'm not mistaken, lorica hamata in use at least as early as the 2nd Century BCE.

I agree. Peter Connolly says in Greece and Rome at War, in the section on "The Roman Army 160 BC", says that wealthier legionaries wore a mail shirt. He also references the existence of one such mail shirt on the victory monument of Aemilius Paullus at Delphi, which was set up after the defeat of Macedonia in 168 BC.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

Careful. Most of academia does not believe that hamata was adopted that late but in academia we believe people still are free to write whatever they like if they have cause to do so. I have never heard anyone in academia make such a claim before.

RPM
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Jean,

Careful. Most of academia does not believe that hamata was adopted that late but in academia we believe people still are free to write whatever they like if they have cause to do so. I have never heard anyone in academia make such a claim before.

RPM

I would love to hear his rationalization for this assertion. If you read the review I linked to it wasn't something said in passing either, he went out of his way to make this assertion:

"On the other hand, the writers and directors of this series should have attended more faithfully to the advice of their historical consultant, or perhaps hired more consultants. Centurions on horseback look mighty dapper in their chain mail--several hundred years before such defensive garments are attested in the Roman army. "

He makes it sound like this is common knowledge that any technical advisor should know, not just his own personal revisionist theory... SEVERAL hundred years mind you, I guess they weren't wearing 'chainmail' until after the sack of Rome by Alaric perhaps?

I just recently read a historical account where an otherwise quite rational seeming writer (a PhD) asserted that celtic swords were so heavy that only the strongest male warriors could wield them, (women couldn't even pick them up, according to this authoer) and that they were normally used with two hands due to their weight. I don't think I have heard of a La Tene or Hallstadt sword which weighed more than 2 KG, in fact i really don't remember any much over 1 KG. The vast majority I've ever seen are designed solely for single-handed use, in conjunction with shields.

I have read nearly identical claims by supposedly astute historians about Viking swords and Medieval swords constantly. And equally silly distorted claims about armor.

When I read stuff like that, it makes me wonder how solid their grasp is of many other technical areas which I don't know enough to see errors in, but am taking their word for. It makes me wonder about the level of accuracy more generally in acadamia. I find a lot more accuracy in 'democratized' interested laymans forums like this, on any number of subjects I'm interested in.

Jean

Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After reading the review I got the opinion that he had only watched the first few episodes, and even then he seemed to be putting most of the emphasis of his review on bashing the dramatic elements of the series more than the historical ones anyway.

He also bashed the accuracy of the religious devotion displayed by the characters in the series, but I find myself that in every episode there is a lot of religious ritual and praying shown. So I don't think he saw the whole series before giving his review, or he simply glossed over things too much.

BTW, the new season started on Sunday and it looks to be just as great as last year was.
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a note for further thought, I would add this commentary from Steven Saylor, author of the acclaimeds "Roma Sub Rosa" mystery series. To my knowledge, his books are always very well-grounded in the history of the period and he is most knowledgeable. But do note the date.
http://www.stevensaylor.com/HBORome.html

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BTW, he says that Cornelia was the wife of Pompey. I had thought that Caius Iulius Caesar's wife at the time of his assassination was Cornelia. Perhaps Pompey had a wife of that name as well, but I don't remember it.
Hugh
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

I think you may have missed the boat on what I was saying. ONE person hardly qualifies as academia. There are hundreds of Roman historians out there, more likely thousands. My point was you are being too general in regards to academia. Many academics have opposing views on all sorts of themes of history. My point was Perhaps he is wrong, I agree. I think the evidence points the other way personally, but he hardly is academia as a whole. Whether or not academics as a who are out of the loop as far as weights and such has to be taken individually. Arm chair historians and reenacters have a whole series of flaws as well that does not even need be gone into nor generalized. My point was just the statment was too general.

RPM
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Jean,

I think you may have missed the boat on what I was saying. ONE person hardly qualifies as academia. There are hundreds of Roman historians out there, more likely thousands. My point was you are being too general in regards to academia. Many academics have opposing views on all sorts of themes of history. My point was Perhaps he is wrong, I agree. I think the evidence points the other way personally, but he hardly is academia as a whole. Whether or not academics as a who are out of the loop as far as weights and such has to be taken individually. Arm chair historians and reenacters have a whole series of flaws as well that does not even need be gone into nor generalized. My point was just the statment was too general.

RPM

Of course I'm not suggesting that laymen are automatically better informed than Academic experts, that would be patently absurd. But I am saying two things, 1) I think we really need to take a lot of what Acedemic professionals say with a grain of salt, not only are there various fashion trends, political agendas, factions and etc., but also a surprising degree of general ignorance. (I think it would be very informative to ask say, 1000 general Medieval history professors a few basic questions about arms and armor and see how much they really knew). We should not assume infalability when we read some of those three letter acronyms at the end of someones name.

2) While we will probably always need proffessionals to do the original research etc., I think the internet (via the better managed venues like this forum) has given us an excellent toool by which ordinary "re-enactors and arm chair historians" such as myself can actually share the tiny amounts of data they do have, even conduct their own crude practical experiments and research, and by actively correcting one anothers mistakes, gradually (arguably) reach a more precise basic overview of a certain subjects (and shake-off popular misconceptions more quickly) than one usually gets from books published by the official experts. This has certainly proven true in my experience in such diverse fields as pre-industrial weapons and armor, Western Martial Arts, New Orleans history, World War II aviation and Cichlid fish to name a few...

Jean

Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Jean, Martin Here!

I think the question is perhaps better aswered on this forum... http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/index.php ... log on and ask it there.

I personally am on your side in the Hamata question. There is lot´s of evidence in art and text of maile in use during the first century BC.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

I agree with point one very much. Just because someone has a degree is not a sure sign they are right. Hopefully they have learned good work etics (likely by getting holes ripped into their work if they are sloppy which one would hope would make them more careful about their works in the future).

I agree that much can be done with reenactors and arm chair historians. THe only problem I have with this groups is that some never have even backtracked a document to its source. I understand it is often difficult to read if it is in latin or anglo-norman or whatever but many times it is just laziness. Case in Point. I met a very nice group of men at a reenactment encampment. They mainly did Hussites. So we spoke and I realized their groups was basically a very skewed version of hussites. Not one flailman, no melee weapons, (no wagon but that is understandible), nothing but guns. So I told him about some sources he could read (including the osprey book even which had not been looked at). I met up with a few of them months later. Not one had looked up any of them, even with locations they could be borrowed free of charge. After a few meetings with them I realized they just did not care about getting it right, close to right or even trying. Luckily many groups are better than this but the point being is each catagory or group has their shady places. I love reenactment. It is one of the few times I think good groups especially can portray somethign that words cannot often. To see a knight in armour astride a horse lance a dummy even is quite amazing.

SO I agree. One question. WHat is Cichlid fish. Excuse my ignorance but I am not sure.

RPM
Piet Van Dam

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have heard that only the Auxiliary officers who offered the heads of their enemies to the emperor wore mail armour. The armour of the legionaries was a solid chestplate, and later plate armour
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Piet Van Dam wrote:
I have heard that only the Auxiliary officers who offered the heads of their enemies to the emperor wore mail armour. The armour of the legionaries was a solid chestplate, and later plate armour

I am sorry, Piet, but the legionaries wore mail from at least the Macedonian Wars up into the early 1st Century CE, when it began to be replaced by what we call the lorica segmentata, the armor made up of strips of iron as seen on Trajan's Column. Actually, there is some doubt that the lorica segmentata ever completely replaced the mail hauberk, especially in the Eastern Legions. Further, the auxiliaries, both infantry and cavalry, used it all throughout the Early and Middle Empire. Some centuriones also used mail hauberks during the period that the milites in the legions were using the lorica segmentata, as shown on tombstones throughout the Empire. Then during the 3rd Century CE, mail replaced the lorica segmentata as the standard armor for the troops, if they had any armor at all.

Hugh
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Jean,

I agree with point one very much. Just because someone has a degree is not a sure sign they are right. Hopefully they have learned good work etics (likely by getting holes ripped into their work if they are sloppy which one would hope would make them more careful about their works in the future).

I agree that much can be done with reenactors and arm chair historians. THe only problem I have with this groups is that some never have even backtracked a document to its source. I understand it is often difficult to read if it is in latin or anglo-norman or whatever but many times it is just laziness. Case in Point. I met a very nice group of men at a reenactment encampment. They mainly did Hussites. So we spoke and I realized their groups was basically a very skewed version of hussites. Not one flailman, no melee weapons, (no wagon but that is understandible), nothing but guns. So I told him about some sources he could read (including the osprey book even which had not been looked at). I met up with a few of them months later. Not one had looked up any of them, even with locations they could be borrowed free of charge. After a few meetings with them I realized they just did not care about getting it right, close to right or even trying. Luckily many groups are better than this but the point being is each catagory or group has their shady places. I love reenactment. It is one of the few times I think good groups especially can portray somethign that words cannot often. To see a knight in armour astride a horse lance a dummy even is quite amazing.

SO I agree. One question. WHat is Cichlid fish. Excuse my ignorance but I am not sure.

RPM

Oh of course I' ve met hundreds of re-enactor types just like that, just go to any Renaissance faire or SCA meeting. When you have a group with it's own insular culture you have the same problem as you do in Acadamia, only with (generally) less educated people. I think the empowerment of us ordinary folks comes when you have an open forum like this, regulated enough to have a good polite culture, but open enough that people with different backgrounds can compare notes and check each others assertions. Able to communicate the right way, 10,000 near dummies like me (and a few smart people like some of the forum regulars here) become one big genius, like a linux cluster lets a bunch of ordinary PC's form a supercomputer. There is something really great about this process.

As for your last question, well it's even more off -topic but...
Cichlid fish are a family of (mostly) predatory (mostly) freshwater tropical fish found in South and Central America, Africa (especially in the Rift Valley lakes of the East) and in much smaller numbers, in southeast Asia. And now in places like Florida, Hawaii and New Orleans due to accidental releases. There are thousands of species, new ones are discovered every year. They have a lot of personality and in many cases, bright colors so they have become very popular in the Aquarium industry, despite the fact that some of them get as big as 60 cm long or more, and many are very territorial and / or predatory and have behavior that can be hard to manage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cichlid

http://cichlidae.com/

Jean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Roman armor
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic