Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > OlliN Custom Project: Type X Sandeherred Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew Grzybowski
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: OlliN Custom Project: Type X Sandeherred         Reply with quote

Hello!

We're just moving right along in the OlliN shop with orders right now. Below is another custom project that we just completed. It is called the Type X Sandeherred.

Weight: 2 lb 11oz
Over All Length: 35 1/2"
Blade Length: 29 7/8"
Width of Blade at Hilt: 2 1/2"
Point of Balance: 5 1/8"
Thickness of Blade: 1/4"

Blade: 1075 steel
Grip: leather wrap
Guard: steel
Pommel: steel
Scabbard: leather / steel

Additional pictures can be found at our website at http://www.ollinsworddesign.com/osd-custom-sandeherred.html. Enjoy!

Best,

Matt

OlliN Sword Design
Handmade collectible arms, custom swords, and sculpture
www.ollinsworddesign.com
Aaron J. Cergol

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow Big Grin

that's one awesome sword. I especially like the hourglass/waisted grip shape. looks very comfortable.

Excellent job- once again,

Aaron
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, this is a really remarkable pace you've established, and it's all the more remarkable now that we've had a chance to see what goes on behind the scenes. It's been fantastic to see how Ollin has grown over the past year, you've made quite a name for yourselves over what is really a very short span of time. Thank you for sharing the results with us once more, and congratulations on your continuing success!
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice! I love the blade shape and the harmony of the curves between the guard and the pommel. Well done.
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now there's a design that really speaks to me!

Well done Matthew. Big Grin
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi All
Just to note the very helpful contributions of Ms Ellen Hoigard Hofseth and Ms Vibeke Vandrup Martens (among others) of the Universitets Kulturhistoriske Museer in Oslo who provided full scale sketches of the original which, together with the drawing in Petersens work of 1919, provided the major inspiration for this design. There were some differences between the two sources (not surprisingly, given the time and possible changes that may have taken place between the two drawings being made). To attempt a reproduction of an 'as new' sword of this form, Mark took from both sources for the hilt metalwork and from a variety of other sources for the blade (of which only about half still exists, and that even more heavily affected by corrosion than the hilt) and grip. It is, thus, Mark's design and should not be considered as a copy of the original, only (as said above) inspired by same.
I'd also note (although you've probably already noticed from other threads), Matt and Mark are a pleasure to work with.
Regards
Geoff
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! They just keep rollin' along at OlliN! Great looking sword. I'm curious to know how you were able to get the drawings of the originals Geoff.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Wow! They just keep rollin' along at OlliN! Great looking sword. I'm curious to know how you were able to get the drawings of the originals Geoff.

A few years back when I used to frequent SFI, I expressed an interest in this sword, having seen the drawing in Petersen. One of the Scandinavian members on there at the time was kind enough to tell me where the remains were kept and gave me the code number. I wrote to the museum asking if they could possibly provide me with dimensions and they responded, more than adequately, with full scale drawings of the original done then and there by one of their archaeologists (V.V.M. above). I thought this a remarkably kind response to a request that I didn't even have the courtesy (or ability) to make in their own language. They even offered to provide more information if that should prove inadequate.
So, answer in short, I asked! Museum staff are well cool (as my children used to say).

Edited for typo.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Geoff, on a fine new acquisition. And it is very good to hear that you received such excellent support from Universitets Kulturhistoriske Museer!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice sword. I like the subtle and non-flashy elegance of this weapon. There's something with the hourglass shape of the grip reverbed in the curve of the blade...
« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding sexist, that is a very manly looking type of sword.
Constant and true.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
Tim Lison wrote:

A few years back when I used to frequent SFI, I expressed an interest in this sword, having seen the drawing in Petersen. One of the Scandinavian members on there at the time was kind enough to tell me where the remains were kept and gave me the code number. I wrote to the museum asking if they could possibly provide me with dimensions and they responded, more than adequately, with full scale drawings of the original done then and there by one of their archaeologists (V.V.M. above). I thought this a remarkably kind response to a request that I didn't even have the courtesy (or ability) to make in their own language. They even offered to provide more information if that should prove inadequate.
So, answer in short, I asked! Museum staff are well cool (as my children used to say).

Edited for typo.

Great looking sword any extra information about the original it is based on would be appreciated. Big Grin Just curiousity. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Great looking sword any extra information about the original it is based on would be appreciated. Big Grin Just curiousity. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Not sure what else I can say. It can be found referred to on p. 166 of De Norske Vikingsverd, the picture being figure 129. It can also be found in the very useful partial translation of that work by Kristin Noer, which I last saw on the vikingsword site but which has probably been reproduced in various places on the web. Petersen described it as a Type X hilt, of the later type, with the smaller pommel than the earlier type Xs. The Sandeherred example of this type was considered by Petersen as showing "where the transition to medieval swords has already begun. Here is the pommel's underside already begun to become convex" (taken from Noer's translation). The same drawing is reproduced by Oakeshott (in SAC I think it was, but I've only borrowed that one, I don't yet own a copy, so I can't give the page number). The artifact itself is coded C12217. I'd make a very tentative guess at 11th century, but it could be earlier or later.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > OlliN Custom Project: Type X Sandeherred
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic