Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Question of Daggers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian Dobson

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: A Question of Daggers         Reply with quote

Last November I started making payments on Albion's Munich, and I've been thinking about commissioning someone to make a companion dagger.
Does anyone have any info on the historical accuracy of daggers being made as a paired item with a sword, with similar blade forms and furniture?
It seems likely to me, but I haven't been able to find any sources confirming it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A Question of Daggers         Reply with quote

Brian Dobson wrote:
Last November I started making payments on Albion's Munich, and I've been thinking about commissioning someone to make a companion dagger.
Does anyone have any info on the historical accuracy of daggers being made as a paired item with a sword, with similar blade forms and furniture?
It seems likely to me, but I haven't been able to find any sources confirming it.

Brian,
Hello and welcome to myArmoury.com. Happy The common thought is that en suite pairs of swords and daggers are fairly common during the rapier era. Earlier than that, they likely were not. I don't know of any surviving pairs that pre-date the 16th century or so. According to many effigies and brasses, it was common to see non-matched items. It may have been the norm. Glancing through some books with effigies in them from the 14th and 15th centuries, I didn't see any where the items were made to match each other (ie. where the dagger is a miniature version of the sword).

There is a dagger from the 14th century where the pommel matches the swords at Solingen and Leeds, but there's no evidence the dagger was made to go with a sword of similar form.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Brian Dobson

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Chad. Been stalking for a few months now, first time posting.
Can't say that's not a bit of a letdown, but very useful information, and I thank you.

Now I'm gonna have to decide if I want to really be accurate, or fudge things just a bit. Razz
It'd probably help if I didn't dislike rondels so much, haha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian Dobson wrote:
Thanks, Chad. Been stalking for a few months now, first time posting.
Can't say that's not a bit of a letdown, but very useful information, and I thank you.

Now I'm gonna have to decide if I want to really be accurate, or fudge things just a bit. Razz
It'd probably help if I didn't dislike rondels so much, haha.

Well, a lack of evidence doesn't always mean that something didn't exist. After all, we're always about one discovery away from needing to re-write everything we know. Happy

That said, if you dislike rondel daggers, you can always go for a ballock dagger, basilard, ear dagger, etc. Things like that are seen on effigies of the Munich's era all the time.

Others may know more than me, also. I wouldn't give up all hope yet. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was planning on getting a Munich too, but decided to switch to an Earl. Before doing so though I bought this dagger from AA:

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/dagg058.html

It has a wheel pommel to match the Munich and if you get basic black for the Munich's grip it will match that way as well. It's a very good dagger for the price. If you talk to the good folks at A&A they might be able to customize it too, though I can't tell you for sure about that.

Just an option,

Bryce
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just be careful that the authenticity police at the local Faire don't cite you for having matching weapons out of period. (grin)

I imagine that, then as now, if one had enough money, once could have pretty much what one wanted, as long as the know-how was there to make it.
No swept-hilt rapiers in the 8th century AD or whatnot, but a pair of weapons with similar decoration and styling???
Use your own judgement, I would say.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Question of Daggers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic