Viking clothing???
I have been going crazy trying to find authentic looking Viking clothing. It is my favorite period and I have some really nice swords, axes, a shield, and a helm from the likes of Albion, Del Tin, Mercenary's Tailor, etc. However, I may have to go as a really whacked out "beserker" and basically go armed and totally naked because I can't find any good clothes - rugged, simple "barbarian" style cotton/wool shirts, capes, etc. It seems so basic, but it seems everything out there is geared toward the Renaissance and much too "foofy" for a Viking. I do have a light, mid-sleeve tunic from "Viking-shield.com", which I like, but it seems more like something a Viking would hang out in to sharpen his weapons and down some mead - not go to war in. Help!
This is not an educated answer but how about some fur pelts over hauberk. Maybe for a more authentic look than the massproduced stuff maybe you could find some scandinavian craftspeople to make you what you need.
Hey Joe,

The Grey Company, an Australian group, has some "do it yourself" patterns on their website for tunics and trousers. I haven't made them m'self, but my seamstress sister says they are pretty simple.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bill/greyco.html
Like you, I've looked about for off-the-rack authentic gear for a Viking impression, but I've come to the conclusion that one really has to make things yourself, as things are either too farby, or aren't made. I dunno, your "beserker" impression might work though! :D
Hi Joe,

I know of lots of people who could ,perhaps,be of help to you .How authentic do you want it to be ? I know people who start with the sheep ,spin their own wool,dye it ( plant dye ,of course ! ;) ),weave it and then tailor it. It doesn't come much more authentic than that ! Though if it doesn't need to be that authentic ,I am sure there many others I know who could possily be of help to you.If you drop me a line I'll try and put you in touch.

Regards,

Russ
Viking clothing
http://www.birkatraders.com/gallery/gallery1d.htm

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: