Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > mace making Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris M.

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jan, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: mace making         Reply with quote

im a knife maker but i seem to have this need to make a good mace. havnt seen any plans on the smith sites so i was wondering if you guys knew. were maces cast or forged and if forged have you guys seen plans anywhere.
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jan, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It depend if it's a flanged mace or a morning star. can you give more details?
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jan, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: A Mace in the Face         Reply with quote

I dont have any mace plans...I got a heap of pics though if you want....let me know what type.
Had to take opportunity here though to have a good winge.....Where I live the mace-head itself is pertectly legal to own and so is the shaft....but, oh Momma...dont you go puttin that mace head ON the shaft ! Then it becomes a dangerous weapon that has to have a special licence ! So you can walk around with the mace-head in one hand and the shaft in the other like a Baton but just dont let them get too close together. I can still see our group leader with a loose mace head and shaft sliding it on and off and going..." legal, illegal, legal, illegal... ! " Its a shame that politicians dont actually live in the REAL world like the rest of us....then they might see just how stupid some of their rules are !!

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jan, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A Mace in the Face         Reply with quote

Merv Cannon wrote:
I dont have any mace plans...I got a heap of pics though if you want....let me know what type.
Had to take opportunity here though to have a good winge.....Where I live the mace-head itself is pertectly legal to own and so is the shaft....but, oh Momma...dont you go puttin that mace head ON the shaft ! Then it becomes a dangerous weapon that has to have a special licence ! So you can walk around with the mace-head in one hand and the shaft in the other like a Baton but just dont let them get too close together. I can still see our group leader with a loose mace head and shaft sliding it on and off and going..." legal, illegal, legal, illegal... ! " Its a shame that politicians dont actually live in the REAL world like the rest of us....then they might see just how stupid some of their rules are !!

I guess a sleghammer is still legal, a hammer is still legal, an axe is still legal, 4" long rebar ......... So how does this protect society when any big branch or rock in the wrong hands can do the same as a thing "called " a mace ! ( Oh, did I forget to mention a big steel shovel ! )

Sorry about the small rant but it's the total lack of logic / common sense that rubs me the wrong way: Like the saying goes
" It doesn't have to make sense it's the LAW ".

Oh, back to topic: The type of mace / period / culture is the first thing you have to decide on as almost all possible ways to make a mace must have been in use at some time. You could have a look at the A & A polearms page as it shows a few different kinds like the Iberian, spiked, flanged mace types as well as the warhammer.
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/polearms.html

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jan, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Political discussions do not belong in the Historical Arms Talk forum at all. If you wish to discuss these kind of things, please decide if it's even on-topic to this site (it likely is not) and if it is, post about it in the appropriate place (Off Topic Talk).
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chris M.

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: i feel stupid now         Reply with quote

ok nevermind i figured it out.
the way to make a flanged mace is to forge a flat bar. rivet the flanges on, then curve it around the horn of the anvil till it fits the haft. duh. sorry guys i was trying to go about making it round from the begining.
Merv Cannon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: i feel stupid now         Reply with quote

Chris M. wrote:
ok nevermind i figured it out.
the way to make a flanged mace is to forge a flat bar. rivet the flanges on, then curve it around the horn of the anvil till it fits the haft. duh. sorry guys i was trying to go about making it round from the begining.

Couldnt you weld the flanges round a piece of pipe section ? Im not a welder yet, but I am about to become one soon. I believe that you'd have to know that the steels were the same types, yes ? I'm trying to picture riveting the flanges on.....you'd have to use narrow rivets....wouldnt they be too weak to hold them securely ?
Anyone know how some originals were made ( I know there were probably several different ways )

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've seen historical examples with the flanges attached through copper braising.
Chris M.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have an old arc welder that works quit well but i want to go traditional.
by rivets i should say leaving 2 tang peices or ears on the back of each flange and hot cutting the same slots through through the flat bar. then heating the flange to red, put it in a vice, lay the flat stock over the flange, and beat the "tang" or ear peices over as per the tang end that goes through a sword pomel.

ive welded off and on for 20yrs. since i was ten. im not certified and im no expert. its just to get me by. but as long as both peices are carbon steel, stainless or weld steel(low carbon) or iron you should be able to weld them they dont have to be the same composition example 154cm stainless will weld to 440 stainless cause heat and rod is close enough for both.
so will 01 and d2 steel. matching the same steel is easiest.
beware stainless will make you say bad words and have a couple scrap peices to test your heat and rod on.
Chris M.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hey don thanks. i could heat the head in the forge and use brass braising wire to attach the flanges. thats almost to simple. come to think of it i think mueseum replicas gothic mace has signs of braising around the flanges.
Brandon S.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arc welded Flanges on a steel pipe worked pretty well for me.
Sean Flynt

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brazing is historically correct for flanged maces.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > mace making
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic