Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking-esque type XIIa? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Apr, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Viking-esque type XIIa?         Reply with quote

I borrowed this sketch from a friend (with permission, of course) since I find the design intriguing even though it's not completely historical. The overall look is similar to some of the swords unearthed (and recorded) by Dr. Jorma Leppaaho but with a lengthened grip. So, what do you think?

Attachment: 23.57 KB
xiia.jpg

Peter Anderson

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks pretty nice. I suppose it would be a fairly neat sword for a later-century Scandinavian trying to keep in touch with his roots, perhaps copying or re-using the fittings from a family heirloom sword.

There are of course Type XIIs with Viking-style hilts: http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_spotxii.html
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like that very much! As far as 'historically accurate' goes, that has been a subject of much heated debate on this and other sword forums in the past. So much so, in fact, that I find it almost laughable sometimes. This isn't the 8th or 9th century. It's 2013, and swords have evolved. (Sadly, some people have not.) This particular design shows me a fighting mans sword....built tough, strong, and with ergonomics in mind. The guard and pommel have the great 'in-out' effect that I like in a using sword. In other words, there is plenty of room for hand play on the grip. I've found that a great deal of 'Viking' swords on the market today suffer from very small grips, or pommels that aggitate the hand. This, to me, looks like a very comfortable sword to wield. If it were made into reality, I'd have a serious eye on it. Great design!.......McM
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I seem to recall that there are grave slabs in Ireland that show longish swords with similar fittings-- primarily associated with Galloglas, I think.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark, don't judge the Viking sword grip to be small unless you know how to use it. I've been criticized for saying that the grip on a Viking sword should be sized to fit the hand of the wielder, even though my commentary was comparing 3 1/2" grip length to a 4 1/4" grip length. Since I am a fellow with large hands, I can say that a 4 1/4" grip length can be quite snug in a hammer grip, and can transition smoothly into a handshake grip (pommel in palm) in the right sized hand, or in my hand. These swords were strictly one handers, used with a shield in the other hand. Don't make the mistake of thinking that swords in the Viking era were used like swords in the middle ages. A longer grip with Viking style furniture may be a nice thing to think about or look at, but has no historical basis. Despite what some might say, historical basis is the only basis outside pure imagination. If you think about evolutionary forces, the evolutionary forces in sword design related to actual use came to an end long before 2013.The only evolutionary forces at work today are imagination. Nowhere in the world today do people depend on swords to defend their lives.
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Swords combining Viking style furniture with longer grips did indeed exist, but not during the actual viking period:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=12210

If I managed to link to the right page, look for the second post from the top, from Peter Johnsson. He's posted two examples of 16 C. Swedish swords that fit the description. He notes that they were ceremonial, and intended to evoke the "good ol' days" of Viking glory.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 09 Apr, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks nice, definitely more "viking style" than historic, but aesteticaly apealing.

Greg Ballantyne wrote:
Since I am a fellow with large hands, I can say that a 4 1/4" grip length can be quite snug in a hammer grip, and can transition smoothly into a handshake grip (pommel in palm) in the right sized hand, or in my hand.

Quite true.I too use a dynamic grip when figthing with medvial or longer gripped viking swords.
But an Interestning observation I made when shortening the grip on a viking sword to the average 9,5cm (3.8 inches) ist this length, the hand naturaly clenches around the pommel, rather than pinch around the top as on a longer handled sword. As a consequence, you adopt quite differenct, more cut oriented way of using the sword.

With a longer handled sword this just feels clumsy as you have a large bit of empty handle between your hand and the guard. But the viking grip length seems to be adjusted for this.
And when the pomell is allready in your hand, the shape is no longer a problem.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking-esque type XIIa?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic