Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples from the Musée de l'Armée Paris Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next 
Author Message
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Bedell wrote:
Manouchehr,
Thanks for posting all of those photos!

-James


You are very welcome James. It is a pleasure to share these pictures. Look ath the following swords from 1500-1600. These are very beautiful as well.

Kind regards

Manouchehr



 Attachment: 79.82 KB
Pic33.JPG


 Attachment: 55.4 KB
[ Download ]

http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Steve Grisetti




Location: Orlando metro area, Florida, USA
Joined: 01 Mar 2004
Likes: 7 pages
Reading list: 28 books

Posts: 1,810

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manouchehr - please accept my thanks, as well, for your wonderful pictures. One thing that strikes me about the photos is that the Musée de l'Armée seems to give some pieces nice, individual displays. Other pieces, however, like the swords from 1500-1600, posted above, are all pushed together such that it is difficult to see much detail in any individual sword. I wonder, how large is the museum? I have the impression that they are short of space.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
View user's profile Send private message
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Manouchehr - please accept my thanks, as well, for your wonderful pictures. One thing that strikes me about the photos is that the Musée de l'Armée seems to give some pieces nice, individual displays. Other pieces, however, like the swords from 1500-1600, posted above, are all pushed together such that it is difficult to see much detail in any individual sword. I wonder, how large is the museum? I have the impression that they are short of space.


You are welcome Steve. Actually, they are one of the biggest museums around teh world. They have thousands of pieces of arms and armor , really a lot. This time I was ina hurry and could not take as many pictures as I wished too, but next time I will take more pictures for sure. I think that they put the swords of the kings in one showcase and the rest together.

Kind regards

Manouchehr



 Attachment: 82.31 KB
[ Download ]

http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do not know why the last picture does not show :-(
http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gordon Frye




Location: Kingston, Washington
Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 1,191

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manouchehr;

Again, many thanks for posting more pictures! It is very much appreciated, and food for thought and discussion. Happy

Interesting how the museum staff listed the center armour as a "lansquenet demi-armour" when it looks to me that it quite obviously has a lance arrêt fixed to the breastplate! Eek!



I should think that they would have called it a chevaux-lèger armour instead. Interesting!

Thank you again!

Allons!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin


myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manouchehr M. wrote:
I do not know why the last picture does not show :-(


It does show. It simply shows as a link rather than an in-line photo because of its size. This is described in our help page.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
Manouchehr;

Again, many thanks for posting more pictures! It is very much appreciated, and food for thought and discussion. Happy

Interesting how the museum staff listed the center armour as a "lansquenet demi-armour" when it looks to me that it quite obviously has a lance arrêt fixed to the breastplate! Eek!



I should think that they would have called it a chevaux-lèger armour instead. Interesting!

Thank you again!

Allons!

Gordon


Gordon

You are very welcome my friend. Thank you very much for your clarification. I really appreciate it. Could you please explain these types more in detail to me? Thanks.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Manouchehr M. wrote:
I do not know why the last picture does not show :-(


It does show. It simply shows as a link rather than an in-line photo because of its size. This is described in our help page.


Thank you Nathan for the clarification.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Let us move toward the east. Look at this marvvelous armor.

Kind regards

Manouchehr



 Attachment: 57.77 KB
Pic35.JPG


 Attachment: 97.41 KB
Pic36.JPG


 Attachment: 90.82 KB
Pic37.JPG


 Attachment: 91.26 KB
Pic38.JPG


http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gordon Frye




Location: Kingston, Washington
Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 1,191

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manouchehr M. wrote:

Gordon

You are very welcome my friend. Thank you very much for your clarification. I really appreciate it. Could you please explain these types more in detail to me? Thanks.

Kind regards

Manouchehr


Certainly. The two flanking armours look very much to be the standard "corselets" or Infantry type armours of the mid-16th Century as used in Western Europe, and popularly used by the German mercenary Infantry, the Lansknechts. (In French, "lansquenets" These armours could also be used by many species of light Cavalry as well without difficulty so often there is a challenge in deciding if one of these armours is for either Infantry or Cavalry. However, the one in the center, with the little hook hanging down from the right side of the breastplate, is indicitive of the use of a lance, and a fairly heavy one at that. The hook is called an arrêt, or "arrest", though often wrongly refered to as a "Lance Rest". It was designed more to stop the rearward movement of the lance when it contacted the target rather than as a rest for holding the weight of the lance, thus the difference in the names given. As the armour is still fairly light (rather than being head-to-toe, with a close helmet) my suspicion that it was for a chevaux-lèger. They were officially "Light Cavalry" but only in comparison with the Gendarmerie, which was VERY heavy Cavalry, and accoutred very much as your picture of Louis XIII shows.

Very interesting picture of the Turkish Heavy Cavalry armour too, which looks as though it would stand up well to the standard barrage of arrows as used in Eastern combat, and rather akin to the old cataphract armours of the Persians, no? Thank you! This is an area in which my ignorance starts to show, so help here is appreciated... Confused

Allons!

Gordon

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
Manouchehr M. wrote:

Gordon

You are very welcome my friend. Thank you very much for your clarification. I really appreciate it. Could you please explain these types more in detail to me? Thanks.

Kind regards

Manouchehr


Certainly. The two flanking armours look very much to be the standard "corselets" or Infantry type armours of the mid-16th Century as used in Western Europe, and popularly used by the German mercenary Infantry, the Lansknechts. (In French, "lansquenets" These armours could also be used by many species of light Cavalry as well without difficulty so often there is a challenge in deciding if one of these armours is for either Infantry or Cavalry. However, the one in the center, with the little hook hanging down from the right side of the breastplate, is indicitive of the use of a lance, and a fairly heavy one at that. The hook is called an arrêt, or "arrest", though often wrongly refered to as a "Lance Rest". It was designed more to stop the rearward movement of the lance when it contacted the target rather than as a rest for holding the weight of the lance, thus the difference in the names given. As the armour is still fairly light (rather than being head-to-toe, with a close helmet) my suspicion that it was for a chevaux-lèger. They were officially "Light Cavalry" but only in comparison with the Gendarmerie, which was VERY heavy Cavalry, and accoutred very much as your picture of Louis XIII shows.

Very interesting picture of the Turkish Heavy Cavalry armour too, which looks as though it would stand up well to the standard barrage of arrows as used in Eastern combat, and rather akin to the old cataphract armours of the Persians, no? Thank you! This is an area in which my ignorance starts to show, so help here is appreciated... Confused

Allons!

Gordon

Gordon


THank you very much Gordon. I really appreciate your help. Look at this Turkish armor please.

KInd regards

Manouchehr



 Attachment: 69.99 KB
Pic39.JPG


http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Look at this turban helmet made for Sultan Bayazid II (1481-1512)


 Attachment: 97.45 KB
Pic40.JPG


 Attachment: 87.37 KB
Pic41.JPG


http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Turkish kilij. The blade is attributed to 1550 ? and the scabbard to 1800


 Attachment: 69.64 KB
Pic43.JPG


http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gordon Frye




Location: Kingston, Washington
Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 1,191

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manouchehr;

Very nifty armours indeed! What is most interesting is how the Russians seem to have adopted the Turkish-style helmets, or at least the artist who painted "The Battle of Orsha" seems to have thought so:

http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/AudioVisual/Orsha.1.jpg

I looks as though that the style was quite popular in the early 16th Century. It's certainly good looking, and I would love to have a nice burgonet with that spiral treatment to the skull. Cool

Thank you again for posting the marvelous photographs.

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon,

Yes there are similarities of course. Thank you for your interest.

Two more Turkish helmets.

Kind regards

Manouchehr



 Attachment: 68.42 KB
Pic44.JPG


 Attachment: 57.98 KB
Pic46.JPG


 Attachment: 74.7 KB
[ Download ]

http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two excellent examples of Chinese dao and a Bhutanese sword.

KInd regards

Manouchehr



 Attachment: 62.93 KB
Pic47.JPG


 Attachment: 67.64 KB
Pic48.JPG


 Attachment: 63.99 KB
Pic49.JPG


http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Hisham Gaballa





Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Reading list: 7 books

Posts: 508

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great to see you here Manouchehr, and thanks for sharing your wonderful photos. Happy

You wouldn't happen to have a close-up of the helmet on the Turkish equestrian armour, would you?

BTW, I also found the helmet of Sultan Bayazid fascinating as it seems to be a hybrid of the Iranian-type "Turban helmets" and the Turkish style 'chichak', do you have any other pictures of it?

Gordon, we had a thread on Russian armour a few months ago: Happy
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8516&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
Great to see you here Manouchehr, and thanks for sharing your wonderful photos. Happy

You wouldn't happen to have a close-up of the helmet on the Turkish equestrian armour, would you?

BTW, I also found the helmet of Sultan Bayazid fascinating as it seems to be a hybrid of the Iranian-type "Turban helmets" and the Turkish style 'chichak', do you have any other pictures of it?

Gordon, we had a thread on Russian armour a few months ago: Happy
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8516&highlight=


Hi HIsham,

Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, I do not have any other pictures, but next time I will take many pictures when I am in Paris for sure.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear friends,

Now it is time to look at some Indonasian kris. Look at these magnificent examples.

Kind regards

Manouchehr



 Attachment: 69.45 KB
Pic50.JPG


 Attachment: 87.68 KB
Pic51.JPG


http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Manouchehr M.





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 601

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Masoleum and tomb of Napoleon and two swords attributed to him.

Watch the Arabic inscriptions on the blade.

Kind regards

Manouchehr



 Attachment: 79.66 KB
Pic53.JPG


 Attachment: 74.55 KB
Pic54.JPG


 Attachment: 60.26 KB
Pic55.JPG


http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples from the Musée de l'Armée Paris
Page 3 of 20 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2019 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum