Go to page 1, 2  Next

Price Increase Coming
Last year I promised a price increase and did not deliver........ This new year, its going to happen quick.......
Sorry to hear that since I am planning on buying one of your swords sometime next year. :-(

I guess China's gluttony for all raw materials is still having an effect, sorry to say.
Bryce said "I guess China's gluttony for all raw materials is still having an effect, sorry to say."

Bingo give that man a prize! Brass alone has doubled since June and bronze followed suit. Steel? PLEEEEEEASE!

Hats off for streching it out this long Gus.
I agree you guys have to raise your prices when your raw material costs go way up or it's finding a new occupation where the phrase " Will you have fries with that " might be the unfortunate alternative. ( O.K. I'm just joking obviously as you could certainly find something that pays more. )

Anyway, before anyone gripes about price increases, it important to realize that if you can't pay the bills and buy groceries you won't be making us any more neat toys ! ;) :lol:

Oh, remind me to call my broker and buy resource ( Metals ) stocks when you have to increase your prices: It probably a better indictor of where these are going than reading the business pages ! ( Partly sarcastic in a friendly way and partly maybe true. :eek: :D )
Bryce Felperin wrote:
Sorry to hear that since I am planning on buying one of your swords sometime next year. :-(

I guess China's gluttony for all raw materials is still having an effect, sorry to say.

Hi Bryce

Three years ago, an AT longsword, say an AT1555 for instance, was $525. Today, and for the last 18mos or so, its been $460.......

In that time, the cost of the component steel {pommels and guards} has gone up 2.5 times, the cost of 5160 is 190% of what it was then, leather has gone up, energy has gone up, my rent has gone up, the heat treater wants more money, etc......

My blade finishes are better, the handle better done, and performance of the whole line has edged up a bit......... in other words, the product has gotten a bit better........

Three years ago, AT was a borderline profitable business. Today its a loser.......

Sorry about that, but prices have to give.......
Allan Senefelder wrote:
Bryce said "I guess China's gluttony for all raw materials is still having an effect, sorry to say."

Bingo give that man a prize! Brass alone has doubled since June and bronze followed suit. Steel? PLEEEEEEASE!

Hats off for streching it out this long Gus.

Thanks Allan

I took it longer than I should have........
Gus, While I hate to hear that you are raising prices as I too am looking at getting an ATRIM through CF, I also understand the reasoning. While the business I am in might deal with finished products, we do buy a lot of metal, HVAC industy, and I have steadily watched the price of all the materials we use steadily go up, and up, and up. I also know that to make a living you have to charge for labor and all the intangibles that the average person who is not in business for themselves does not see. In the end, you have to do what is right by you. In this case that is raising prices so that you can keep the business open and have some money in your pocket at the end of the year. And if you are not having fun and not making business then what is the point of keeping the doors open. Sorry for the rant. Any idea on what kind of a price raise you are talking about Gus? Flat percentage across the board, or different for each individual model?

Scott
Scott Kowalski wrote:
Gus, While I hate to hear that you are raising prices as I too am looking at getting an ATRIM through CF, I also understand the reasoning. While the business I am in might deal with finished products, we do buy a lot of metal, HVAC industy, and I have steadily watched the price of all the materials we use steadily go up, and up, and up. I also know that to make a living you have to charge for labor and all the intangibles that the average person who is not in business for themselves does not see. In the end, you have to do what is right by you. In this case that is raising prices so that you can keep the business open and have some money in your pocket at the end of the year. And if you are not having fun and not making business then what is the point of keeping the doors open. Sorry for the rant. Any idea on what kind of a price raise you are talking about Gus? Flat percentage across the board, or different for each individual model?

Scott

Hi Scott

Kinda depends........ some swords may not go up at all, but others, particularly the longswords, likely will. And since fullers cost a bit to clean up, and I haven't been charging for that for a couple years, that likely will go up a bit too.......

First I need to consult with CF.......
Thanks for the heads-up, Gus, and especially for your honesty. Some things we just can't control. I still look forward to adding one of your pieces to my collection (so many to choose from!). :)
Angus Trim wrote:

Hi Bryce

Three years ago, an AT longsword, say an AT1555 for instance, was $525. Today, and for the last 18mos or so, its been $460.......

In that time, the cost of the component steel {pommels and guards} has gone up 2.5 times, the cost of 5160 is 190% of what it was then, leather has gone up, energy has gone up, my rent has gone up, the heat treater wants more money, etc......

My blade finishes are better, the handle better done, and performance of the whole line has edged up a bit......... in other words, the product has gotten a bit better........

Three years ago, AT was a borderline profitable business. Today its a loser.......

Sorry about that, but prices have to give.......

Hey, no complaints, misunderstandings or gripes from me. If I had the money I'd invest heavily in commodities futures and live a fat, dumb happy life. ;-)

As is this whole issue is yet another example of how our economy is misfunctioning today and why the US, as country that manufactures things, is a thing of the past and is losing ground to the far east. Essentially, in the not too far future, most all manufacturing for commodity items will occur overseas and the only manufacturing that will be done here is high cost niche items that the unskilled labor overseas can't make. Frankly Gus, I'm just glad you haven't sub-contracted out your production to China yet. ;-)

So sorry to hear of the price increase, but I've been expecting it from you for some time since last year when Albion upped their prices. About a year from now I fully expect to see more price increases yet again. This will continue until China is forced to open the Yuan to monetary trade, or if the US puts forth more restrictive import quotas or tarifs. Unfortunately I don't see either of these events happening for quite some time. So I'm sure this won't be your last price increase, and I fully expect that this time next year or earlier I'll be buying that sword from you before prices increase again.

Yep the world sucks but we have to deal with it. :-|
Angus Trim wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

Scott

Hi Scott

Kinda depends........ some swords may not go up at all, but others, particularly the longswords, likely will. And since fullers cost a bit to clean up, and I haven't been charging for that for a couple years, that likely will go up a bit too.......

First I need to consult with CF.......

Hi Gus

I had the feeling that depending on how you structured the price increase the longswords would take the larger jump. More materials, more labor hours in both rough production and finishing. Just my luck that a longsword is what I plan on getting. I do believe that you get what you pay for and from what I have read on various forums one of your swords will be well worth the price. Now don't take that as a license to go all crazy with price increases. :eek:
Sorry, but all indications are that China has nothing to do with any of this. It is 'rumor' only. Same happened with concrete last year. So, :wtf:
Folks,
Let's stay away from commentary on reasons for global pricing, etc. This is not the website for that.

Thanks.
I am actually surprised and grateful that you managed to maintain your pricing as long as you did, Gus. I consider your swords to be probably the best bang for the buck out there, performance wise, and I am sure the price increase won't change this. If the higher-quality swordmakers are not able to turn a profit in the industry these days then the sword community at large may soon be stuck with nothing but low-end imports to feed our appetites and that will be a sad day for a lot of us...
Edward Hitchens wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up, Gus, and especially for your honesty. Some things we just can't control. I still look forward to adding one of your pieces to my collection (so many to choose from!). :)

Hi Edward

Not going to be so many models once things settle down next year..... But I do intend to stock more........
Chad Arnow wrote:
Folks,
Let's stay away from commentary on reasons for global pricing, etc. This is not the website for that.

Thanks.

I agree Chad but, I get tired of people blaming the Chinese for every price increase. Other factors are to blame.
Stephen D. Sharp wrote:
I agree Chad but, I get tired of people blaming the Chinese for every price increase. Other factors are to blame.

Who is or is not to blame is irrelevant. Drop this line of discussion.
So Gus the new year has come and gone. I was just wondering what the sitrep was on the price increase. Looking at CF's site I see a model or 2 no longer there and prices have increased. Are there going to be further increases or are those the increase? Just wondering as we have I have not seen anything else.

Scott
Scott Kowalski wrote:
So Gus the new year has come and gone. I was just wondering what the sitrep was on the price increase. Looking at CF's site I see a model or 2 no longer there and prices have increased. Are there going to be further increases or are those the increase? Just wondering as we have I have not seen anything else.

Scott

Price increase is done...... A few models like the 1435 are now history......

Christian's site now reflects the new price........the angustrimdirect site has the price off at the moment, and I need to change the ones on the angustrimswords.net site........

I have another announcement to do, but am a bit burned out at the moment......tomorrow.......
Angus Trim wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

Scott

Price increase is done...... A few models like the 1435 are now history......

Christian's site now reflects the new price........the angustrimdirect site has the price off at the moment, and I need to change the ones on the angustrimswords.net site........

I have another announcement to do, but am a bit burned out at the moment......tomorrow.......

Well I guess I am lucky that I ordered the 1435 from Christian Fletcher before it became
" history ". ;) :lol: ( Blade finished and back with Christian for hilting: So I should have it in a month or two ).

I guess you had to decide which models you should drop but I am curious about why certain models were chosen ?
I would expect level of demand and the amount of work versus how much you could charge for certain models made them less desirable to make for purely business reasons?

Apart from the tactical line will there be some other new models ? Some models having to be dropped to make room for new ones and also be more efficient stocking the ones in most demand ?

Oh, if my question is indiscreet please feel no obligation to explain. :D :cool: ( Again just curiosity. )
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: