heat treatening
how do i solidify my flanges and what oil to use to solidify it.
perhaps with some mineral oil or something like that.

can't wait for an answer.
Hi,

I'm certainly not the best person to answer questions concerning heat-tempering but I think you should take a look in this book : http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Bladesmith-For...0873644301. A nice introductory book on bladesmithing.
Re: heat treatening
Etienne Hamel wrote:
how do i solidify my flanges and what oil to use to solidify it.
perhaps with some mineral oil or something like that.

can't wait for an answer.

I'm not a blacksmith, but I do suspect that you will need to provide more info in order to get a decent answer.

What type of steel are you using, what hardness are you looking to achieve, what equipment do you have, etcetera? Mr. Voisine gave you a link to the Complete Bladesmith, and that is probably a good starter. I am sure that others can give you pointers towards other useful books and sources on the subject.

Johan Schubert Moen
I just wanted to know about what oil to use on simple steel
if someone can help me it would be easier for me to do a good first flail...
Etienne Hamel wrote:
I just wanted to know about what oil to use on simple steel
if someone can help me it would be easier for me to do a good first flail...
There are hundreds, if not thousands of different types of steel, which all look the same, but are totally different materials. You've got steel that can not be hardened, steel that can be hardened in water, steel that can be hardened in oil, steel that hardens by cooling in air. After hardening, most steels have to be tempered to reduce the brittleness, which again depends on the type of steel, and how hard or tough you want it to be. So it's impossible to answer your question, unless you know what steel you have. If you don't know what steel it is, it helps if you know where you took the steel from. If it's recycled steel, what it's from often gives a good guess which steel was used for it.
it's from my school
Mace
Dear Etienne

Am I assuming correctly that you are making a flail? and the flail has flanges as opposed to spikes?

If so, to be period it would not be hardened. There is really no evidence that these items would have been heat treated in the historical period.

Best Regards
Craig
Thanks for your help it's more clear now. :D
Re: Mace
Craig Johnson wrote:
Dear Etienne

Am I assuming correctly that you are making a flail? and the flail has flanges as opposed to spikes?

If so, to be period it would not be hardened. There is really no evidence that these items would have been heat treated in the historical period.

Best Regards
Craig

Especially for the fact that iron with just a fraction of carbon is not hardenable.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: