Not quite medieval, but nevertheless...
I just finished making my brother's Christmas present the other day: a cricket bat for killing zombies.

Material: Ash

Length: 38"

Width: 4"

Weight: 2 pounds

Inscribed with the 23rd Psalm of David

Time spent: 10 hours

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

I started with a plank of ash around 40" by 6" by 1.5", and used a table saw to cut out the rough shape. I then used wood planes, draw knives, and sand paper to make the handle have an appropriate taper and oval cross section. Then I took a belt sander to the blade of the bat (40 grit). Then the whole thing was sanded down to a nice smooth finish, and drew the 23rd Psalm of David on the face (it's a transliteration, not actually in old Norse). Then I used 3 different chisels to engrave the runes, and wiped the whole thing down with black furniture dye and sanded it again so that it only picked up the runes and the grain. Then I splattered some red dye over it for the fake blood, scorched it with a heat gun, and antiqued it a bit with a hammer. Then I coated the whole thing with a mixture of beeswax and lemon oil. My (bad) pictures really don't capture all the details, but it's an attempt anyway. Hope you like it :D

Edit: The pictures don't really pick it up, but there is a spine running down the middle of the blade of the bat, ending at the triangular thing at the end.

Last edited by Addison C. de Lisle on Mon 25 Dec, 2006 11:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Scary stuff :eek:

It would match up nicely with my machette with Zombie Killer inscribed on the blade :D

/Jakob
My son would LOVE that! He is a huge Shaun of the Dead fan :) Well done, I really like the runes.
You could add obsidian chips " ą la " Aztec war club for that extra razor sharp Zombie decapitating edge. :p :lol:

But seriously: A really nice piece of wood. :D :cool:
Glad you guys like it :D

My brother loves it; he hasn't put it down since he got it this morning (gee that almost sounds like...hahaha)
How does she handle? Where's the PoB?

:p Nice piece of work though!

M.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: