Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Longswords? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Longswords?         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Hm. Well. We seem to have forgotten to mention that the longer grip of a longsword makes it handier for a desperation move where the sword is couched under the armpit and used as an emergency replacement for the broken lance.

From my 15th c. perspective on things, I would see that as more of a move in foot combat when you have the tip of your blade in a mail ring on a voider and want to drive the point home, break the link and do some serious damage. This of course is a halfsword technique to use when your opponent in full harness (if you're smart, you will be too).

Brent if you don't know, a voider is a mail covering attached to an arming doublet that protects the armpit area not covered by the breastplate.

Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.......they are still a rat."
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Longswords?         Reply with quote

Having had a little time to think some more on this , I believe I left a few things out of my initial reply.

Brent; There usually is a back plate to go with that breast plate so the voider will cover that area also.

Lafayette; I have fought in full harness from horse with hand weapons and I have to tell you it's not as easy as it looks. Most of what we did was with "arming" swords for counting blows as we all can pretty much agree that a swords edge is pretty ineffective against plate (and were out out have some fun, not kill each other). It is difficult enough to get horses within striking distance for that alone! To use a mace or hammer from horse you have to be extremely close and you are almost wrestling from the saddle at that point. I cannot imagine using a "longsword" as a short lance or spear from horse due to the ranges involved and any technique to make this effective would have to be done at speed. I believe that the end result would be more like a head on collision that anything else. Perhaps Rittmiester Frye or Gordon Clark would like weigh in on this.

Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.......they are still a rat."
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Dec, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, in this case we have to remember that I'm not talking from personal experience, only from Jean de Joinville's account of the something-th Crusade. The one that got stuck in Damietta. That being said, I did find that the longsword's grip is more convenient for carrying it in a couched position--although I've never used it to really hit anything that way.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Longswords?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: