Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to use a Military Flail Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you so much Ryan for clearing that up and I have made the appropriate retractions from my post as an honor to your good Will Exclamation
I bought the Spiked Flail in a monthly special (as I remember in my 49 year old brain, which has endured many a "head shot" in the hundreds of rounds of free sparring I've done, many of which were kicks Laughing Out Loud ) to go with the Arms & Armor Spiked Mace that I already had, of which I really like for it's top end spike that is extra long for stabbing techniques.

No harm done Ryan and may your Holiday Season be a most splendid one fullfilled with the richness of joy, laughter and overall happiness Exclamation

This was really fantastic news to come back in after running some errands and to be enlightened to these facts Ryan, so much so, to the point that it has "Made My Day" Exclamation Big Grin

Sincerely With Good Will Exclamation

Bob
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now, I see that there is one point that has not been adequately addressed here: how to use it in battle, where there are lots of friendly and not-so-friendly people milling around, as opposed to single combat. The only account I'm aware of about the succesful large-scale use of the flail was from the Hussite wars, and this sort of makes sense since on one hand a long-handled peasant's flail would have been a great tool for sweeping the gaps between the war wagons--if the flailmen are adequately supported by friends, of course--and on the other hand shorter flails might have been used by the people defending the wagons because the body of the wagon can help protect them from the side-effects of a missed swing. I have to check the primary illustrations once again, especially the Maciejowski Bible facsimiles, to see if I can find a flail being used anywhere else. I suspect that it wouldn't have been a really practical weapon for a knight in battle because of the risk of harming nearby friends, so its use among the knightly classes would have been largely restricted to tournaments and personal challenges. My research is far from complete, though.
Mike Stillwell

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: kewl!         Reply with quote

Trent Stevens wrote:
I would love to show you how to swing that awesome weapon! i couldnt really tell you how to do it.

My buddies and i work at a place called Medieval times, we constantly swing it with accuracy and power!

keep the bola (flail) in momentum at all times. dont hit yourself.
know where your hand is at all times. dont let it slide up near the chain or where the ball could hit the stick.
practice hitting and work out the trajectory of where the ball flies back at certain angles.
dont swing around your head (unless on horse back) keep the on the outside of your body.
swing the bola for momentum before hitting.

if i can remember anything else i'll let you know!

Hi Trent.

I'd seriously love to see a video clip of youall using those bolas/flails, as you've had some practical experience with them.

Thanks for posting.

Best wishes

Do you now know what beauty is for?
And have you changed your life because of it?
Marton Pap

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi!
I don't know if this has been posted already, but here are some pics from Paulus Hector Mair
http://mdz10.bib-bvb.de/~db/bsb00006570/image...;seite=421
Chuck Wyatt

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two sources that might help:

Mair's flail section has been translated and published recently:
[url] http://www.thearma.org/member-books/MOMRMA.html[/url]

Also Check out Meyer's section on Dussack
http://www.myArmoury.com/books/item.php?ASIN=1403970920

The Dussack uses flowing, circular movements that could be useful with a flexible weapon.

Cheers,
Chuck
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is another recent discussion about flails, with information from a 1675 Spanish work:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=13704

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Gavin Frost

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: flail         Reply with quote

You can weild it in arcs that avoid you. Accidental collisions can be helped by armour and holding handle below where the ball strikes the handle. Useful for breaking hand of opponant over the back of their shield.
Gavin Frost

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to use a Military Flail
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: