Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > myArmoury.com focus: Cultures and Time Periods Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Zach Stambaugh

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: O         Reply with quote

it has gotten zero. the caption is "A Katana Question"
It is better to be over careful a hundred times than dead once. --- Mark Twain (give or take a slight misquote)
Zach Stambaugh

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: thanx         Reply with quote

it must have been an uninteresting question then. no reflection on the preferences of the forum.

I love this site. I am still quite impressed by the diversity, quality and hands on knowledge of he members.

how do you people afford all of this cool stuff?

also,how can you afford to run this site?

It is better to be over careful a hundred times than dead once. --- Mark Twain (give or take a slight misquote)
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: praps I mispoke.         Reply with quote

Zach Stambaugh wrote:

but, while I am on the topic, anyone know anything about those Indian gauntlet-swords?

This is not my primary area of expertise, but I can help with some basics.

Swords of this type are referred to, generically, as "pata". There is some debate in ethnographic weapons circles as to the evolution of the form, with some strongly advocating for a lineage descending from the katar, which has appeared in South Indian bas-reliefs dating to the 11th century.

Some believe that these were used in pairs by infantry, others that single pata were used by mounted fighters in a lance-like fashion.

Pata are rather unique in that the grip is perpendicular to the rather longish blade. In my limited experience, this feature only appears on katar (of course), pata, and some "Moorish" boarding swords.

Again, these are just some random, casual comments about a form I'm not very familiar with.

Incidently, I don't favor "western" or Japanese swords. I groove on all the stuff in between. Wink

Andrew

"I gave 'em a sword. And they stuck it in, and they twisted it with relish.
And I guess if I had been in their position, I'd have done the same thing."
-Richard Milhous Nixon
Zach Stambaugh

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jul, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: thanx         Reply with quote

thanx for the info. i would have thanked you earlier, but I have been AFK for about a1.5 Mo.
Randy Filipovic

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well said. It's good to read about different periods and cultures without having to find a specific sub forum.I have my favourite eras but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in others.
I'm always happy to read anything related to armour and swords.
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: So there I was.......         Reply with quote

Thirty plus{nearer forty} years happy with tunnel vision on Japanese weapons, then visited Russia.......what great stuff. Off to China............Oh dear!, what great stuff. Germany,Spain...................what great stuff.

Now I am not sure what the hell I like but am committed to Japan, even saw some Kris that made my mouth water.

Dontcha just luv collecting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin

30 year obsession
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Excellent Point, Thank You Nathan         Reply with quote

Though I am among the newest here at myArmoury as well as being a collector, I have made a very serious initial plunge of several thousand dollars into what for me is the greatest hobby a person could have! My initial investment in weaponry, except for two economical items, has been entirely with Arms & Armor and it may well stay that way as my collection grows. I just can't say enough good things about A&A.
Anyway, back to the topic here, I am most grateful for this website and am going to join as a "premier member", this is a wonderful website that you founders have created for us and I am most appreciative.
I received so many warm welcomes by so many class act people, I must say I was very impressed indeed! This made me feel that I am among friends, friends who share the same passion as I do, a passion in something that others just do not understand.
I come out of two spectrums that both touch upon the interest of weapons and armor of history. I was recently medically forced out of karate after having earned my black belt in karate, due to back problems. The other interest I come from is genealogy. I spent thousands and thousands of hours for several years tracing the spider web ancestry of my maternal roots. I found several links to European Nobility. Two lineages going back to Longshanks (the most recent King in my known ancestry).
These weapons and armor are part of yours and mine heritage and that to me is very important and spiritual. Another interest of mine is that I am a history buff, especially into the not so popular facts of history that the mainstream does not teach or want to acknowledge. This includes the pre ancient history of the world.

So I have several pre-existing interests that link into this fascinating hobby that we all share. The least I can do is to become a "Premier Member" of your magnificent website!

I am deeply grateful for myArmoury.com

Happy Collecting,

Bob
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: european/eastern swords.         Reply with quote

I am interested in all of them. The only one that I am not really fond of happen to be the javanese kreris, which I think is hyped even more than the katana. I even like shark toothed swords!
Hank Reinhardt
John Marciano

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heck, it was this forum that got me to realize that Japanese swords weren't these god-like weapons while European blades weren't rusty hunks of junk.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Marciano wrote:
Heck, it was this forum that got me to realize that Japanese swords weren't these god-like weapons while European blades weren't rusty hunks of junk.

Haha, more to the point, there are examples of Japanese and European swords that are both rusty hunks of junk as well as being masterful works of art. It's an equal opportunity world. Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Indeed, geography does not play favorites :-) Mac
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: katana-patas-european swords         Reply with quote

One quick note about katanas.They are far from being super blades, but good ones have some really incredible fuirniture. Very fine and beauitifully made. Personally, I am only interested in the effectiveness of a sword, but I will cheerfully give them the excellence of their deocration. When you look at a lot of old original European swords, you will find that many of them are not that precise in their manufacture. Oten you will see cross guards that are slightly off, maybe pommels that are not fully centered, and even blades that are not fully symetrical. And these are frequently weapons made for higher up. It used to bother me early on, I wanted the perfect sword. Now I want one that works really well. Somehow I feel that no one ever complained that he was being killed with a sword that wasn't perfect. As for Patas. Many many patas have thin and very flexible blades. In the past seveal people called them dancing swords, feelign that they were not fitted for war do the the thiness of the blade. Having seen some practitioners slice limes in half being held under the foot of an assistant, I think they woudl be pretty damn effective. In a museum in Agra (I think, will check on it later) there were two that were fairly thick in the blade. They would work well as thrusting weapons, but the thin bladed ones wouldn't do so well.
Hank Reinhardt
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: non european swords         Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly.I am in love with all of them, Up to and particularly including clubs.Not the kind you join, but the kind you use to beat people over the head. About the only one I don't care for are the Javanese Keris. Blade and tangs are just too flimsy.
If any of you get get a change to get to the Ethnograpic Museum in NY (Brooklyn, as a Southern Boy I have trouble keeping them straight) Check out the Oceanic section. There isa truly beautiful curved wooden sword. The striking area has been grooved, and sharks' teeth have been glued, and wired, in place. A most ferocious looking weapon. I confess to a natural, but highly frowned up urge. But I couldn't figure out how to break the glass and sneak it out of the building. Oh to be the Khakhan!

Hank Reinhardt

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > myArmoury.com focus: Cultures and Time Periods
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: