Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Guard fixing on Albion swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Gary Grzybek

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is this an oxymoron?         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
I have been following this thread for some time. There have been others like it on other forums and it set me to wondering. I think some people are looking for something that does not exist. A well-balanced, weight-accurate sparring weapon that is nearly indestructable. I don't think that such a think exists and perhaps some are expecting too much from a maker. If you engage in stage combat and are into theatrical presentations where heavy edge-to-edge parrying and blows are dealt on a consistent basis, I think any sword will eventually fail. Historically accurate swords would fail sooner because they were not made to take such abuses. One need only to look at historical fencing manuals and see examples of practice swords that were used. The medieval masters knew that actual fighting weapons would not stand up to such daily pounding. So asking someone like Albion to make a heavy-duty , weight accurate training weapon that holds up to daily or weekly sparring is probably an oxymoron. Remember that swords, like many other things in life, are a give-and-take. Balance sometimes require that the tang nor be welded to the cross; weight considerations and correct distal taper will mean that you cannot make the blade 1/4" thick along it's entire length; heat treating will mean that consideration for edgeholding may not make it as hard as some may like and you'll get knicks and dents along the edge. I think we need to step back and remember that swords were meant to do certain things and not meant to do other things. To make a good sword a maker has to work in a narrow constraint depending on what teh sword is used for or what the sword was meant to be (i.e. historically accurate ). Just some thoughts

Ah, but they did exist and can certainly be reproduced. Just look at Arms & Armors example. The only thing stopping me from buying a pair is the cost. We also have many original training blades in museums to examine. I think the key here is not that we want them to be indestructable but we certainly want them to be tough and hold up to some serious use. It's just that we know they will be expensive and it's difficult to lay out that kind of cash just for a training weapon. I've seen too many people buy cheap swords to train with only to have them fall apart before long. As far as the improper edge parrying goes, well that's the stage combat crowds problem. They should study the manuals more often.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Steve Fabert

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is this an oxymoron?         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
I think the key here is not that we want them to be indestructable but we certainly want them to be tough and hold up to some serious use. It's just that we know they will be expensive and it's difficult to lay out that kind of cash just for a training weapon. I've seen too many people buy cheap swords to train with only to have them fall apart before long.

Train like you fight, using the same equipment, and you learn quickly what the attrition rate for these items may have been, and why only well-heeled combatants could afford to carry them all the time.

If you depend on a blade to save your life, a new sword for every battle would seem to make sense. Hopefully not more than one would be needed in the course of a single battle. How many blows can somebody land with a sword in an hour of close combat? It would seem to make good sense to expect a reliable sword to survive that kind of workout.

The number of nicks in the blades of some old swords shows that at least some of them were remarkably rugged and survived quite a few forceful impacts. I don't know that there are large numbers of discarded broken swords in the archaeological record, which is what you might expect if they were comparatively fragile. Is that because they rarely broke, or because broken swords were still so valuable that they were not allowed to remain on the field, and were scavenged for recycling?
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is this an oxymoron?         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Gary Grzybek wrote:
I think the key here is not that we want them to be indestructable but we certainly want them to be tough and hold up to some serious use. It's just that we know they will be expensive and it's difficult to lay out that kind of cash just for a training weapon. I've seen too many people buy cheap swords to train with only to have them fall apart before long.

Train like you fight, using the same equipment, and you learn quickly what the attrition rate for these items may have been, and why only well-heeled combatants could afford to carry them all the time.

If you depend on a blade to save your life, a new sword for every battle would seem to make sense. Hopefully not more than one would be needed in the course of a single battle. How many blows can somebody land with a sword in an hour of close combat? It would seem to make good sense to expect a reliable sword to survive that kind of workout.

The number of nicks in the blades of some old swords shows that at least some of them were remarkably rugged and survived quite a few forceful impacts. I don't know that there are large numbers of discarded broken swords in the archaeological record, which is what you might expect if they were comparatively fragile. Is that because they rarely broke, or because broken swords were still so valuable that they were not allowed to remain on the field, and were scavenged for recycling?

Yea, it's hard to say how long a sword would last during battle and this would depend on many different circumstances, but we know many were passed on through generations and often repaired several times during their life time.

It's interesting to see in some period artwork depicting battle scenes where there are broken blades lying across the ground. So it was either quite common or the artist just added some for dramatic appearance.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Mojje Andersson

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: So you wanted a sharp crowbar...         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
Mojje Andersson wrote:
You can check this out!

Made entierly for stagecombat and all that awful edgeblocking.
The site's in swedish but I think you can figure it out.

Here is the link:
http://www.allebergsklingan.se

Use the menu to the left and click "Produkter"

Hope it can be of some use!

Is there any information on weights or point of balance?

I wish I could translate Sad

To Gary:
Jupp, there's info about the swords.
All swords except the daggers have their POB, 7 to 10 cm from the crossguard.
A standard hand and a half weighs 1.8 kg and the one hander approx. 1.55 kg.

All edges have a full radius of 1.5 mm
You can see the data for your self except for POB!

Have a nice day!
/Mojje
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I would have to agree with Gary that the blades lasted a fairly long time. There are records that even the kings submitted their swords for repair/sharpening instead of buying new swords for the next battle. And they could afford it. Swords were very often issued as an army weapon, so that the average solder did not have to worry( provide money) for buying own weapons. So the weapons were also collected back after a campaign. If the swords were mostly unreliable after a single battle, who in the right mind and money would willingly put his success in battle in the hands of poorly armed army. I am grossly exaggerating and oversimplifying. There were people who even poorly armed stood in battle for what they believed in.

I refuse to believe that a sword is a single-use disposable blade.

Can one destroy a sword in a single battle? Absolutely!! Was that a common occurence? I doubt it! We are yet to discuss the percentage of people who actually used the swords as a primary weapon in a battle, and what their opponents were. Swords should be fairly effective against soft, giving targets (human bodies). I cannot believe that a decent sword would break/bend/ lose sharpness after an hour of hacking into a realistically suspended soft (relatively) target.

In present times people will abuse the weapons in each and every way, from banging them against hard objects to pells without a give, and then wonder why the weapons malfunction/break so often. I do not want to get into that discussion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any way it is the right of the customer to want the best training weapon possible, but this same customer has to understand that an ideal sword that would withstand all kind of abuse, be safe, perform well in reenactments, cut realistically, and feel like a real period weapon DOES NOT EXIST. Half of the characteristics I listed are incompatible with one another.

Just my regular rambling.........No criticism intended, Steve! Just my opinion that swords are more resilient than you give them credit for.

Cheers,

Alexi

Last edited by Alexi Goranov on Fri 02 Apr, 2004 6:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zach Stambaugh

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have read that romans trained with round section wooden gladii . they were supposed to match the balance ratios but be twice as heavy at all points. the ideas was to make the soldier buff and so the real thing felt light by comparison.
It is better to be over careful a hundred times than dead once. --- Mark Twain (give or take a slight misquote)
Steve Fabert

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:

Any way it is the right of the customer to want the best training weapon possible, but this same customer has to understand that an ideal sword that would withstand all kind of abuse, be safe, perform well in reenactments, cut realistically, and feel like a real period weapon DOES NOT EXIST. Half of the characteristics I listed are incompatible with one another.

The question I raise is based on the assumption that the durability of historical swords was comparable to at least the better replica swords of today. If it is not possible today to build a replica that has proper balance, dimensions, weight, and materials that can take sustained physical hammering, then why do we assume that swords of centuries past were more durable? Would it not likely be true that ancient and medieval swords were prone to breakage at the same rate as modern practice weapons, if they were treated as harshly? Due to advances in modern metallurgy it would seem more likely that ancient blades were less durable than modern ones, all else being equal, rather than more durable.

My working assumption would be that a medieval sword used to beat on an opponent wearing plate armor would likely break at least as easily as a modern replica used for the same purpose. Any use that produces frequent failures today probably produced similar failures at least as often in past centuries. Whether this implies that historical swords were broken often, or instead implies that they were used more cautiously than we might assume, is a tossup.

I had always thought that the thickening of ricassos occurred at about the same time as the widespred use of full plate armor, which would seem to indicate that blades were breaking more often on armored targets than they had during the era of mail, and needed strengthening. And the switch to thrusting blade sections may have been at least in part the result of the comparative fragility of older cutting blades, rather than just their ineffectiveness against plate.

I am not familiar with any medieval textual references that describe the failure of swords, or their repair or reforging. If anyone out there knows of any I would be most interested to hear of them.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

My reference to the king repairing his sword comes from a book "Armies and Warfare in the Middle Ages: The English Experience". One of the first chapter talks about costs and the prices of weapons were listed for different ages. .Also specific payments were mentioned about the king paying x amount for sword repair and sharpening. This same book as well as E. Oakeshott make the point that swords were collected and distributed during campaigns. Oakeshott also speaks of bunch of different used swords being regripped together before being delivered to the army.

You are right that the modern repros (from credible makers) should perform at least as well as or outperform the period weapons. So the question you raise is valid from a certain perspective. Why do modern repros fail so easily? Do they? I have seen edges disintegrate after bashing a stationary helmet. Is that the kind of failure we are talking about? Because this is not the fault of the sword in this case. It is abusive behavior. I started a thread from this observation I suggest you take a look at it (probably you have seen it and or participated in it) [url]/www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=987[/url].

Swords did change shape to reflect advances in armor, but this does not mean that swords became the primary means of taking down armored opponents. It is widely argued that the primary weapons of the knight was the lance (much better at dealing with armor) or battle axes and maces (again much better in dealing with armor) . There are scientific articles published, showing that swords are virtually ineffective against the lowest grade plate armor, and also cannot cut through mail armor (can cause blunt trauma though). I assume this was known to the warriors at the time.

So now-a-days when we start slamming swords against armor, are we really replicating the use that the swords experienced in the medieval times.?!?! The picture of a knight or man-at-arms charging against a field of armored foes WITH A SWORD in hand may seem real to us, but was it part of the medieval battle field ?!?!?! We do occasionally see medieval depictions of battles where knights with swords cut through the metal helms of opponents, but that is probably a great exaggeration.

To get back on point: the only times I have heard of good swords malfunctioning is after unrealistic abuse. What is realistic though may need more definition, but one thing I must say, swords were tools designed to cut through moving flesh and bones. Any other use or abuse, and all bets are off.
Zach Stambaugh

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: comments         Reply with quote

swords were often bent and restraightened in battle. this seems likely to occur in sword and buckler fighting when striking a buckler or helmet inadvertently. further, it is much more likely to shatter the edge than to break the whole blade. any sword will get a nick or dull spot when it strikes metal. blade to blade contact will definitely result in a nick. also worked iron or steel was a very valuable commodity. it took much forging or millwork to get iron or steel formed from wrought iron. a sword broken, could be reforged ( and retempered) with much less labor than to make a new one from scratch. plus with the exception of mercenaries, most armies were not really paid wages. they were fed and sometimes armed. if they wanted cash they got it from looting and ransoms. weaponry would be collected after decisive battles.( when you had the time and safety to collect and transport it. a marching soldier laden with loot would also likely trade or simply drop heavy items along the way.he might also cache loot and pay someone to collect it for him.

peasantry also had to plough their fields. if not everything was actively looted, you would find most of the stuff left behind during plowing. the stuff was just too valuable to leave there in the way. at the very least the farmer would sell it as scrapmetal to the local smith. he could turn a broken sword into several knives or a very good sickle cheaply.

It is better to be over careful a hundred times than dead once. --- Mark Twain (give or take a slight misquote)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Guard fixing on Albion swords
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: