Albion sharpening
Does any of you gentlemen know how Albion sharpens the (blunt blades)swords from their
Squire Line. They will do that for an additional fee . I wonder if they just put a bevel on it
or make a nice apple seed edge.

Last edited by Cor Böhms on Tue 12 Dec, 2006 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Our Hands-on Review of the Albion Squire Line Late 13th Century Great Sword has some mention of the edge geometry of a sharped version of the Squire Line.
They use a bevel to make the edge :) . This still makes for a very servicable cutter, and they don't take a lot off to make it. . . which got me to wondering if later on it could be polished out to a more accurate edge geometry?
Jonathon Janusz wrote:
...which got me to wondering if later on it could be polished out to a more accurate edge geometry?

It's on my list of things to try. I suspect any problems encountered will be user error, and have nothing to do with the sword, as it is well made.

-Grey
I also wonder if they use a powertool for the job.
I wouldn't be overly surprised if they use some kind of power tool, but I can't say for certain. I doubt many medieval smiths would have been inclined to sharpen blades with just a file, and that was when labour was pretty cheap. Grinding wheels and other tools of that nature have been around for a long time, so a power tool might be new technology in that it uses electricity, but the same basic idea of getting the work done faster is age old.

For what it is worth, the bevels are even and match the finish of the blade. To be honest, I don't really notice them from a couple of feet away.

-Grey
I am wondering what the "Accurate" edge geometry would be? It seems to me a simple bevel would be easiest and most useful, but I'm likely wrong.

M.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: