Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arms and Armor Schloss Erbach Arming Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Johnathan Shannon

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Arms and Armor Schloss Erbach Arming Sword         Reply with quote

What are your opinions on this sword? How soes it feel in the hand i have read the reviews of the sword I just want the opinion of the people that might have bought this sword before. I have just started in to western martial arts and I liked the design and the look jsut wanted some information before i bought this sword thank you very much.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would say you could definitely do worse. I've owned one for a couple of years and it is pretty much everything that you would expect from Arms and Armor. The fit and finish are very nice, and the sword handles very well also. The grip is very comfortable. The schloss does not get as much press as some of the other models but it's a good solid sword with just a little flair without being outrageous. I've been meaning to write my review for my site for some time but just have not gotten to it. Was there something in specific that you wanted to know about it?
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Johnathan Shannon

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Thank you         Reply with quote

No I just wanted to hear from some people that have handled this sword before and your information was appreciated as I am new to this and really do no all the right questions to ask but thank you for you information and time and when you do write your review i would like to read it
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you         Reply with quote

Johnathan Shannon wrote:
No I just wanted to hear from some people that have handled this sword before and your information was appreciated as I am new to this and really do no all the right questions to ask but thank you for you information and time and when you do write your review i would like to read it

Ahhh I see you are looking for someone to nudge you into buying it. Wink I'd say go for it. You definitely will not be disappointed. The boys in Minnesota did a good job with this one. I really need to get that review up for you...

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been lucky enough to handle the original on which this sword is based, and I was incredibly impressed with how spot-on A&A's reproduction is. They really got it right.

That said, it is the type of sword that not everyone can appreciate. It has a forward balance that makes the sword feel a little heavy in the hand, as it is designed for serious cutting. I tend to think of this a sword that would have made sense from horseback, though it could still work fine for fighting on foot as well. I think it's a fantastic sword when appreciated in the correct context, but I think many people expect it to handle like a feather, which it does not.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's why I like that sword so much, Bill Happy One thing I like are swords with heft and style. The Schloss Erbach has both.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I've been lucky enough to handle the original on which this sword is based, and I was incredibly impressed with how spot-on A&A's reproduction is. They really got it right.

That said, it is the type of sword that not everyone can appreciate. It has a forward balance that makes the sword feel a little heavy in the hand, as it is designed for serious cutting. I tend to think of this a sword that would have made sense from horseback, though it could still work fine for fighting on foot as well. I think it's a fantastic sword when appreciated in the correct context, but I think many people expect it to handle like a feather, which it does not.

Unfortunately the pendulum has swung too far that way in my opinion. Once upon a time everyone was saying that Western swords were boat anchors. Then along came the featherlites from several makers and now everyone thinks that a sword should handle like a light riding sword despite there being loads of historical examples and their modern reproductions (The Sword of St Maurice that Albion produces for example or the Sword of St Maurice that A&A does as well) that do NOT handle like a light riding sword.

Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had one of these and it's a fine sword with a very solid feel to it. Definitely something that would do well in armorerd combat. Cool piece.
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
That's why I like that sword so much, Bill Happy One thing I like are swords with heft and style. The Schloss Erbach has both.

Nathan, I think that you and I have very similar taste in swords.

Jonathan, I've owned 3 but keep on selling them when I decide to put money down on a custom sword. I have sold them off not because the Schloss is a bad sword but because it's one of 2 production swords that I have left in my collection and I can always buy another one again. . . which I inevitably do.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Dec, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had mine for about 6 years now, though it's been slightly redesigned since (though I have on many occasions handled the newer version). Spectacular piece in all respects and a great investment. I can't really think of anything to add other than my agreement with what our colleagues have already indicated.

Bill touched on a good point though: Its design is 'deceptive' in that it looks like a sword that is lightweight and thus easy to maneuver. It's actually a beast. Eek!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arms and Armor Schloss Erbach Arming Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic