My First Knife
Back in March I took a course on knife-making. I just got around to finishing it (I have issues finishing projects, and it was a busy summer ;) ), and now it's finally done and photographed. The handle is ebony, the rivets and guard are brass. It was made using stock removal.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

It' doesn't really compare to most of the other stuff posted here; it has it's issues, but the tempering is done correctly, the steel is appropriate, and it cuts things. Overall, I'm prettty happy with how it came out.

EDIT: It's a foot long from the tip of t he blade to the tip of the handle. I don't have a scale handy that's precise enough to weigh it (the only one nearby being one of those heigh and weight measuring scales from a doctor's office ;) )

Last edited by Addison C. de Lisle on Mon 11 Dec, 2006 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
For the first knife ever -it is better than great.I know many people who don't make as good work after year or two of practise.You certainly have talent.I'm looking forward next projects.Maybe rondel dagger??? :D

I have only one question.What is that thing on the top of the knife?Decorative cut or a beer opener? Or both? ;)

The thing at the top is a decorative cutout I did to see how hard it would be. I probably broke more saw blades on that little twisty thing than I did cutting the rest of the blade out. It also had a tendency to get to red heat faster than the rest of the blade, so I had to be careful when tempering it as well.

Although you have a point, it would make a nifty bottle opener... :lol:
Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Although you have a point, it would make a nifty bottle opener... :lol:

For popping open some cold ones after a long, hard battle! :D

Seriously, that's a sweet knife. I especially like the decorative cut out. I also like the way the whole thing flows from the curve of the blade into the hilt. Nice aesthetics. Congratulations on finishing it!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's very nice! So when will you start taking orders? :lol:

-James
Are you really sure this is your first one? 0.o
Doesn't look that way to me. I really like the curvature and how the handle and blade seem to flow into each other, as if one piece of different colours (or at least IMO).
Thanks for all the kind words everyon; it really means a lot to me! I'm not sure when I'll be making another one, hopefully sometime soon. :D
Oooh, it really is lovely! Keep up the good work. I'm sure you'll just get better and better at it as you go......

I can't wait to see what else you come up with. :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: