Asking recommendations on 17th-century broadsword
I've been wondering about where I should go if I want a good reproduction of a 17th-century cavalry broadsword. In particular, I tend to favor convex-edged blades similar in profile to earlier Oakeshot type XVIIIs although any blade with a decent compromise between thrusting and cutting capability would do. Should I check out A&A's Cavalier and Dresden rapiers or the "Town Guard Sword" from the same manufacturer? I'm tempted to contact Albion or Atrim/Christian Fletcher for custom pieces, but I'm afraid the price for a custom work would be well beyond my budget. And I'd certainly be glad for recommendations for other manufacturers--especially to ones specializing in 17th-century weapons.

Thanks beforehand!
Check out Armourclass.

www.armourclass.co.uk
Re: Asking recommendations on 17th-century broadsword
Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
... Should I check out A&A's Cavalier and Dresden rapiers or the "Town Guard Sword" from the same manufacturer? ....

That's what I would recommend. A&A does nice work. I would be happy to have any any of the three pieces that you mentioned. While I don't have any of them, I do have one each of A&A's German Bastard Sword and Gustav Vasa Rapier.
As far as I know Albion doesn't take custom work as they are way too busy getting their regular production done as well as working on new project additions for the line.

A & A will modify or do full customs work: The Cavalier, Dresden or Town Guard all seem to fit the bill as is though !

OlliN is another possibility for custom work although I don't know about the complex hilts and if it would be something they would feel comfortable doing. ( Not saying they wouldn't be very interested in taking such an order: I am just saying that I don't know. ) http://www.ollinsworddesign.com/

I can say that their prices for custom work is reasonable and their delivery time seems fast compared to most custom work.

A & A has the established expertise with rapiers though.

With the right blade Christian Fletcher could also do a great job on a hilting and scabbard job.
Ah. I've checked out Armour Class and they seem to have some interesting products, but the ir focus is too English--I should have said before that I'm looking mostly for German or German-esque models that could have been reasonably used either in the Thirty Years' War or the wars with the Turks in the second half of the century.

(And that's why I'm particularly eyeing the A&A stuff. I wish someone had made a review of the Dresden rapier or Twon Guard sword . . . .)
Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Ah. I've checked out Armour Class and they seem to have some interesting products, but the ir focus is too English--I should have said before that I'm looking mostly for German or German-esque models that could have been reasonably used either in the Thirty Years' War or the wars with the Turks in the second half of the century.

(And that's why I'm particularly eyeing the A&A stuff. I wish someone had made a review of the Dresden rapier or Twon Guard sword . . . .)

Oh, the Dresden in nathan's collection with comments / review: http://www.myArmoury.com/swor_aa_dres.html?1

Alway good to check the reviews and the collections or albums on this site. ;) :D
Hm. Interesting closeups. I've rifled through the reviews pretty thoroughly, but I haven't delved that deep into the individual collection pages. Thanks for the reference!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: