Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Asking recommendations on 17th-century broadsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Asking recommendations on 17th-century broadsword         Reply with quote

I've been wondering about where I should go if I want a good reproduction of a 17th-century cavalry broadsword. In particular, I tend to favor convex-edged blades similar in profile to earlier Oakeshot type XVIIIs although any blade with a decent compromise between thrusting and cutting capability would do. Should I check out A&A's Cavalier and Dresden rapiers or the "Town Guard Sword" from the same manufacturer? I'm tempted to contact Albion or Atrim/Christian Fletcher for custom pieces, but I'm afraid the price for a custom work would be well beyond my budget. And I'd certainly be glad for recommendations for other manufacturers--especially to ones specializing in 17th-century weapons.

Thanks beforehand!
Martin Wilkinson

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out Armourclass.

www.armourclass.co.uk

"A bullet you see may go anywhere, but steel's, almost bound to go somewhere."

Schola Gladiatoria
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Asking recommendations on 17th-century broadsword         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
... Should I check out A&A's Cavalier and Dresden rapiers or the "Town Guard Sword" from the same manufacturer? ....

That's what I would recommend. A&A does nice work. I would be happy to have any any of the three pieces that you mentioned. While I don't have any of them, I do have one each of A&A's German Bastard Sword and Gustav Vasa Rapier.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as I know Albion doesn't take custom work as they are way too busy getting their regular production done as well as working on new project additions for the line.

A & A will modify or do full customs work: The Cavalier, Dresden or Town Guard all seem to fit the bill as is though !

OlliN is another possibility for custom work although I don't know about the complex hilts and if it would be something they would feel comfortable doing. ( Not saying they wouldn't be very interested in taking such an order: I am just saying that I don't know. ) http://www.ollinsworddesign.com/

I can say that their prices for custom work is reasonable and their delivery time seems fast compared to most custom work.

A & A has the established expertise with rapiers though.

With the right blade Christian Fletcher could also do a great job on a hilting and scabbard job.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah. I've checked out Armour Class and they seem to have some interesting products, but the ir focus is too English--I should have said before that I'm looking mostly for German or German-esque models that could have been reasonably used either in the Thirty Years' War or the wars with the Turks in the second half of the century.

(And that's why I'm particularly eyeing the A&A stuff. I wish someone had made a review of the Dresden rapier or Twon Guard sword . . . .)
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Ah. I've checked out Armour Class and they seem to have some interesting products, but the ir focus is too English--I should have said before that I'm looking mostly for German or German-esque models that could have been reasonably used either in the Thirty Years' War or the wars with the Turks in the second half of the century.

(And that's why I'm particularly eyeing the A&A stuff. I wish someone had made a review of the Dresden rapier or Twon Guard sword . . . .)

Oh, the Dresden in nathan's collection with comments / review: http://www.myArmoury.com/swor_aa_dres.html?1

Alway good to check the reviews and the collections or albums on this site. Wink Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hm. Interesting closeups. I've rifled through the reviews pretty thoroughly, but I haven't delved that deep into the individual collection pages. Thanks for the reference!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Asking recommendations on 17th-century broadsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic