Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A December Highlight Item and Holiday Specials! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pole Weapons         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Hey Sean and Russ

Yes we do like doing the longer arms. There are so many options and unique piece to do that I doubt we will ever get to some of the styles.

The Goedendag was fun to work on and very surprising when finished. It was a hefty piece but when you took it in two hands and started to do a few thrusting actions, it immediately became apparent why this was such an acclaimed weapon by the flemish knights who used it. It literally was unstoppable as far as diverting or counter blows. One would have to be very wary of opening any line that a thrust could be made on when up against this piece.

On the Bec, Russ, we do not inlet those langets they are usually on the surface of the shaft. One could inlet these certainly but not all where.

Keep well
Craig

Excellent, just the excuse I needed. Happy When I got the head it was still mounted to a length of the shaft but considering the history of that particular piece and some of the other things that had been done to it, I had no way of knowing if that was they way you guys would have mounted it or not. I guess I should have asked... Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pole Weapons         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Craig Johnson wrote:
Hey Sean and Russ

Yes we do like doing the longer arms. There are so many options and unique piece to do that I doubt we will ever get to some of the styles.

The Goedendag was fun to work on and very surprising when finished. It was a hefty piece but when you took it in two hands and started to do a few thrusting actions, it immediately became apparent why this was such an acclaimed weapon by the flemish knights who used it. It literally was unstoppable as far as diverting or counter blows. One would have to be very wary of opening any line that a thrust could be made on when up against this piece.

On the Bec, Russ, we do not inlet those langets they are usually on the surface of the shaft. One could inlet these certainly but not all where.

Keep well
Craig

Excellent, just the excuse I needed. Happy When I got the head it was still mounted to a length of the shaft but considering the history of that particular piece and some of the other things that had been done to it, I had no way of knowing if that was they
way you guys would have mounted it or not. I guess I should have asked... Happy

Well, I inquired I acquired Hmmmmmm ......... That sounds very " ROMAN " terse and to the point. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Yup: I had to ask so I lost it as usual i.e. lost the will to be reasonnable. What did it was that I have a few months before it's finished and I have to pay for it !

Never was attracted to this weapon before and was only casually aware of it.

Since it was used towards the beginning of the transitional armour period 1300 I would think in large measure it would have been death on wheels against maille, either the pointy part getting through it or the it's mace like qualities breaking what it couldn't pierce.

Later when plate is more common I don't know if the Goedendag would have lost popularity with Knights but would still be very affordable in crude peasant weapon form ?

The awl pike or the spike of a pollaxe would give similar effect on a fancier weapon.

Rightly or mistakenly the longbow is sometimes credited with the development of better defences i.e. plate armour.
The halbard as well as other polearms are also a factor: But I'm wondering if the Geodendag couldn't be also a major motivating factor in improving armour protection.

Anyway, I always buy stuff because there is some aesthetic about it that pleases my eye: This A & A Geodendag has a certain purety of function and simplicity of form I couldn't resist.

Oh, another possible project for A & A might be a " good " version of a Medieval chopper from the
" Unpronouncable Bible " as well as some other of the almost never reproduced oddball weapons ? Just a suggestion. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Jean that custom piece is yours? Does this take the place of the land de beuf or is it in addition too?
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Wow! Jean that custom piece is yours? Does this take the place of the land de beuf or is it in addition too?

No not mine but I just ordered one as the price was " medium " and I should be not be stressed by the cost.

The Langue de Boeuf is almost finished but I don't have it yet and a few of the things I ordered from A & A should all arrive together or split into two shipments if the package gets too HUGE.

At the moment these include:
1) The Langue de Boeuf.
2) Iberian mace.
3) Nordland axe ( With custom hardened edge. )
4) Javelin

5) The Geodendag should be about 3 to 4 months from now.

Still jaw drooping " Yikes " when written all at once. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

So anyone wanting the Geodendag should ask Craig for a quote. ( Since the A & A site says to ask for a quote I can't divulge the price without asking Craig first if it's O.K. )

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Goedendag         Reply with quote

This particular piece has really struck a cord with several people. I have gotten quite a few emails concerning it. Here are the current prices.

Rough Hammer finish black 350.00 + shipping

Polished satin finish 400.00 + shipping

If any one has further questions you are very welcome to email me.

We have the custom section prices as quotes as they can sometimes fluctuate with demand and workload on our end and it alleviates having to adjust them individually on the website. Also as a custom section indicates these are all done per customer commission so details often vary per item ordered. So there are often adjustments to the price of each order as individual customers request certain things.

This is true especially in the case of pole arms where history has given us almost an infinite variety of shapes to work from in something like a halberd so customers will often chose certain variations which may adjust the price.

Happy Holidays all

Craig
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am curious about how the very large spike on the Geodendag is pinned in place and how long and what geometry does
the spike's tang have ? Might be of interest to other potential clients as well as being educational.

I also assume the spike add significant weight to the mace like character of the piece !?

The assembly would have to be robust as well since it would be used to bash away as well at thrust with the spike.

( Craig: Well I didn't way for a reply to this on my last e-mail before posting this question.Wink Big Grin )

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Goedendag Spike         Reply with quote

Hello Jean

The spike is a tanged element. The piece is forged in approximately an inch square at the base and tapers to a ahrp point. The tange extends down into the center of the haft. This is then pierced in line with the rivet through the collar and tightened down. It goes together pretty well and yes the spike does add a bit on heft to the mace like quality of the piece though after moving it around a bit I expect that the thrust was the thing with this type of weapon.

Best
Craig
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Goedendag Spike         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Hello Jean

The spike is a tanged element. The piece is forged in approximately an inch square at the base and tapers to a ahrp point. The tange extends down into the center of the haft. This is then pierced in line with the rivet through the collar and tightened down. It goes together pretty well and yes the spike does add a bit on heft to the mace like quality of the piece though after moving it around a bit I expect that the thrust was the thing with this type of weapon.

Best
Craig

By center of the haft I think you mean that a hole is inletted / cut to accommodate the tang. I assume that the tang starts out smaller than the 1" base but is still substantial and may distal taper from there ? Anyway that's the way I would design it !

By center of the half I don't think you mean that the tang is a couple of feet long ?

As to mace like use: Against plate armour it might be too light a mace and the pointy end would be the most lethal way to use it. Against maille or lightly armed opponents the mace like use would be more useful but the killing blow would most often still be a thrust i.e. Stun then pierce rather than repeatedly bash.

Although the period of use of these is mostly around 1300 and maille would still be more dominant than plate in the transitional armour period.

Later on 1450 the Pollaxe would be a better and more evolved weapon with some similarities i.e. Top spike + hammer + axe. And a more Knightly weapon as opposed to a " town militia / peasant " ( and cheap ) weapon.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey you slackers what is your January highlight item? Happy
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud Russ, it's their Awesome Henry V Sword regularly priced at $545.00.

I have the Henry V Sword and I absolutely LOVE IT! While it's a short sword with the following dimensions
Overall length: 33.1"; Blade: 27" x 2.125", this little beast has some real nice heft to it. I've done plenty of jug cutting with mine, both regular gallon plastic jugs and the huge over sized plastic cat litter jugs, cuts clean thru them! It's also a great thruster! I have 10 high quality production swords in my collection (waiting for 11 and 12 to be shipped when finished) and the Henry V Sword is one of my absolute favorites!
My opinion? Buy this sword NOW Exclamation Big Grin

Sincerely,

Bob

The Following Below is from the Arms & Armor Website

Our Highlight Item to start the New Year is the #075 Henry V Sword.

The sword of a king, Ewart Oakeshott called this the archetype of the medieval sword. This Type XV sword is an exceptional cutting sword light and fast with great control. This month our highlight item will bring an exceptional sword to your collection. The classic lines of this weapon leave little doubt in its deadly efficiency. Many of our customers say this is their favorite cutting sword.

The original sword is dated prior to 1422 (Henry's Burial) and is now in Westminster Abbey, England. We've marked it down from $545 to its Highlight Price of $480.00 + $28 shipping and handling

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A December Highlight Item and Holiday Specials!
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: