Your personal favorites?
I was looking at a few of the companies I have on my "high end accuracy/functionality" list today and was hoping to get some input as to who is your favorite maker of the following items? Some things I'm not too sure who to buy from, so perhaps I can benefit from this.

Shields?
Body Armour?
Helms?
Swords?
Pole-weapons?
Daggers?
Blunt Weapons?
Historical Clothing?

My current list is:

*Shields -- Undecided, often find good ones on ebay

*Body Armour -- Undecided, haven't looked into high-end stuff, currently getting import entry level items.

*Helms -- Merc's tailor makes good ones (I think they belong to Albion??) as does Albion Mark.

*Swords -- Torn between Albion for absolute authenticity and Christian Fletcher for beauty. recently Arms and Armour has gotten my attention more than before.

*Pole-weapons -- Originally I thought Windlass Steelcrafts was fine, but I've heard stuff about them that really removed them from my "Buy from" list. Arms and armour apparently doesn't heat treat theirs either so I'm at a loss.

*Daggers -- Arms and Armour makes some interesting, highly rated ones but none look to my liking. I'm wondering if Windlass makes good enough ones for use/abuse, even though they're pretty low on the entry level list.

*Blunt Weapons -- Arms and armour makes some nice flails and maces, so I'm considering checking them out; or Windlass for my first one so I can feel less financial loss for the learning process.

*Historical Clothing -- Only know of one site that has good reviews, and that's Historic Enterprises.
Oh, Mercenary's Tailor as a presence on the Albion site but doesn't belong to it and it's own site is more up to date as the web page on Albion's site hasn't been updated for some time.

For current information here is the direct link: http://www.merctailor.com/index.php
For well made using armour at an affordable price without long waiting time and great customer service I can strongly recommend Allan at Merc's tailor. For extreme living history accuracy or finer finishes there are other choices: It depends on what one is looking for.

Swords: Albion, Arms & Armour, Christian Fletcher, Angus Trim, OlliN are the ones I would recommend.

Polearms: A & A (Normally not heatreated but period polearms where often not heatreated according to Craig, but it's possible to get the edges selectivealy heatreated on request for a small extra fee. Oh, my two spears and the axe edge of my A & A Polelaxe where selectively heateated and will take a decent edge and are hard enough to sharpen that they are far from soft even if not quite as hard as a sword edge. )

Clothing: Revival clothing for good period reproductions although I can't speak for the most demanding living history people.
http://www.revivalclothing.com/

I could name other companies in various categories but the above I have good personal experience with as far as customer service / value.
shields- the targemaker (dont recal his name)
armour- thaden or macphirson
poleweapons- probubly arms and armor custome
historicle clothing- matuls or HE
swords daggers ect. - me and john, but if i have to choose i would say Albion
sorry thought the question was who i would have my equipment made by (in an ideal world)
best armour looks good for low caust armor
arms and armour makes good swords
i hear mixed revews about A-Trim but i dont like his hilts.
medieval designes is another clothing manufacturer based in italy, but their expensive

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: