Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > ATrim's Tactical Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thankjs Angus, that's the type of response I was hoping for.

Clears up a lot of conjecture.

Best,

Thom
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.G. Grubbs wrote:
I decided it was something I wanted to have for training and just plain fun...a sword that I could use 'guilt free' as it were without the "Do I really want to risk scratching/scufifng/damaging my (Insert smith name here) blade." that I seem to suffer from. Happy

Haha, yeah, I've felt that way too... but lately I've been more of the mindset that many of my swords need some sort of mark on them. A little rust, some scratches, something. It shows they've been put to use, and it gives them character. Happy

It depends on the sword though. I have a few that I'm trying to keep in good shape.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
John V. Uyeda

PostPosted: Sun 10 Dec, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Honorable Gentlemen,

My National Guard unit was heavily engaged during our year in Iraq, and we never had the opportunity to use our edged weapons. In fact I was called to task for carrying my Randall # 1 that I carried over there as the army regulation at that time prohibited the possession of any blade over 6" (largely ignored.) The 1SGT in paticular would have had a heart attack if I had a tactical longsword!

Yeah, I'm gonna get one.

Very Respectfully,
J. V. Uyeda

Si Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Dec, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
... Depending on where you live, probably not a good idea to wear one of these around town these days.....*g*
Oh, yeah. With the TAC CUTTOE, the local gendarmes would definitely be thinking "kick-ass", and nothing even remotely associated with "refined gentleman".
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sun 10 Dec, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This topic reminds me of a discussion I once had with a civil war re-enactor. I told him about a huge D handle bowie knife that a local library had in its museum and he said that while many soldiers carried large knives in that war, forensic and other evidence showed that most injuries delivered by hand were from bayoneting or clubbing with a long arm. He went on to say that many of the Civil War soldiers used these large knives when they were looting the local civilians for food or other goods.

While I think you'd be wise to take a sturdy knife with you in battle I think the days of the sword are gone.
Ken Speed
W Purcell

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know I'm late but I agree with Mr. kelly.NEVER try to intimidate with a weapon.IF,and thats a BIG if,you have to use a weapon,never let them know you have it!I First law enforcement.If not possible,then weapons and maybe hard time.Only in situations of life and death should this even come to mind! HOWEVER if it is that serious my grandpa told me its better to pull time than push daisies .AS ONLY A LAST RESORT! sorry for caps.
Jeff Y

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Tac sword         Reply with quote

Well I just bought a 17" short tac sword from Gus. I'm former military, former cop who is now working in Iraq as a security operator. Been here for a few years and I do see the need for something of this nature. Up until the time this little beast gets here, I utilize a 9" bladed Swamp Rat Battle Rat which is proving to be "small". Over here, intimidation is key to getting compliance with the locals, and quite simply the two biggest intimidators are a pistol and a very large knife. (This sword will really fill that role well..) Both are used as execution tools here and are feared much more than the fanciest M4 rifle with all the bells and whistles. Sounds strange, but these are strange people...

Unlike the poster on page two, I'm not restricted by silly military regulations when it comes to things like this. I feel sorry for the soldiers being handicapped by pencil pushers in the rear. Here, the simple brandishing of a large knife moves crowds, makes people turn and run and is proven to work at close range when the chips are down. Personally, I would rather be shot (again) than cut with a knife (again). Sad

Is this line of tac swords for everyone? No, but everyone who wants one should be able to purchase one and I applaud Gus for making this available to those of us who can use it, or just want to play with it. It might not be in everyone's taste, but why should anyone look down their noses at Gus for producing it? I don't mean to come on here and sound like a war monger, I truely hope that it collects dust and sand (in the kydex sheath I'm making for it Happy ) and comes home unused for anything but cutting waterbottles to pass the time..

As a reminder of possibilities, that are possible, a Scottish unit was ambushed here a few years ago and held in a prolonged gunbattle until ammo ran very low. In the first time, in a very very long time, they affixed bayonets and did a bayonet charge. This is a crazy place, and crazy things happen here. Here is the link and the story..

http://www.scottishamericansociety.org/id9.html

Scots Fighting in Iraq
(This item provided by Alan Day.)
British soldiers killed 35 Iraqi attackers in the Armys first bayonet charge since the Falklands War 22 years ago. The fearless Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders stormed rebel positions after being ambushed and pinned down. Despite being outnumbered five to one, they suffered only three minor wounds in the hand-to-hand fighting near the city of Amara. The battle erupted after Land Rovers carrying 20 Argylls came under attack on a highway. After radioing for back-up, they fixed bayonets and charged at 100 rebels using tactics learned in drills. When the fighting ended bodies lay all over the highway and more were floating in a nearby river. Nine rebels were captured. An Army spokesman said: "This was an intense engagement." The last bayonet charge was by the Scots Guards and the Paras against Argentinian positions.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004223179,00.html

Now, I'm off to drool over pics of an AT1518 I missed out on..... http://www.atrimasa.com/WesternSwords.html
Best wishes!
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the idea of this line of blades, especially the full tang.

And as to what's being allowed "over there", my soldier-kid chastised me for providing a small K-bar boot knife (for "just in case")... as it was strictly prohibited - but that may have been particular to the 101st.
It seems that as the "war" has dragged on, the rules have tightened from the earlier days when almost anything was okay.

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folks,
Let's make sure that this thread doesn't veer into commentary about war/government, etc. Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tac sword         Reply with quote

Jeff Y wrote:
Unlike the poster on page two, I'm not restricted by silly military regulations when it comes to things like this. I feel sorry for the soldiers being handicapped by pencil pushers in the rear. Here, the simple brandishing of a large knife moves crowds, makes people turn and run and is proven to work at close range when the chips are down. Personally, I would rather be shot (again) than cut with a knife (again). Sad

haha... normally i'm the last person to defend the myriad of rediculous SOPs we get stuck with, but in this case I still cant see where you are coming from. As I've never been in private security, I wont comment on what makes your job easier. However, in what scenario is a soldier going to need a short sword? A fixed bayonet onto your f88 or m4 is going to give you the same advantages, and you dont have to relinquish control of your primary weapon.
Rolf Larsen

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Tactical swords         Reply with quote

In some respects the sword is still a viable means of self defense and a weapon for the offense - it is clear however that situations that allow for hand to hand combat is nearly none existent in modern warfare as waged by national military forces of our time.

In recent conflicts around the world were guerillas,militias and community " self defense groups" clash melee weapons are still found to be in use . Primarily in third world countries, where the number of modern firearms available is not sufficient for the commanders to field a force solely armed with such.

Examples of this can be found in ongoing and recent conflicts in Africa where only 13 years ago hundreds of thousands of people were killed in Rwanda -most by cheap machetes and other tools capable of delivering fatal injuries, in Asia where militias in East Timor were mixed bands of firearms -and melee weapon wielding members and a lot of other places as well.

Most professional soldiers forego bringing specialized melee weapons to fore today ,with the body armour ,weapons ,munitions and other gear that is to be carried ,an extra 2-3 pounds of steel that takes up a lot of space is an inconvienience to say the least .However a big proportion of the soldiery do bring melee weapons with them in the form of knives ,camp axes and so on .These are mainly used as tools - the origin of many a weapon.The certainty that it can be used to fight in an extreme is probably still a factor that is taken into consideration when they make their purchase.
Some of these knives have blades over 12 inches long .

During my own service I myself opted for a rugged but affordable "Lapp knife" ( a long bladed simple design ) ,common in Scandinavian countries.It had an oal length of app. 30 cm. It took all kinds of abuse used as a tool in the field and surely would have been handy in a fight although this was certainly a remote consideration.

Rolf Larsen
larsenrolf@hotmail.com
Rolf Larsen

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: "Tactical swords"         Reply with quote

I forgot to state my opinion on the concept of "tactical swords " on the forum.

Making a modernized sword is in principle no different from making a traditional one - they are still used for the same purpose.

The difference in looks and naming is a matter of personal preference.

Maybe it brings the reality of the sword as a weapon too close for some ?

Rolf Larsen
larsenrolf@hotmail.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > ATrim's Tactical Swords
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: