Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Just arrived! A&A Knightly PollaxeProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brad Harada

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Just arrived! A&A Knightly Pollaxe         Reply with quote

Yesterday UPS delivered my much anticipated Knightly Poleaxe and Henry V sword with custom scabbard, all of which were manufactured by Arms and Armor. I'll not go into too much detail concerning the Henry V, as an excellent review of this weapon can be read in the "Latest Additions" section. Needless to say, one simply must handle this sword to truly appreciate how much lighter it feels in comparison to it's actual weight. The custom scabbard is outstanding and first rate: the core is nicely carved to the profile of the blade, the stitching along the back seam is nice and tight, the suspension system is period appropriate as is the steel chape which caps off the scabbard.

It is, however, the Knightly Poleaxe which really knocked my socks off! Arms and Armor have crafted a superb reproduction of the famous Wallace Collection specimen: A926. First up, the stats:

Overall length: 69" (I requested a butt-spike instead of the standard cap which added to the length of the catalog's listed 67")
The (custom) butt-spike has an overall length of 4 1/4" from tip to socket.
Top spike: 7 5/8"
Axe height (along the cutting edge): 7 1/8"
Width (axe edge to hammer face): 6 1/4"
Tip of the top spike to the rondel guard: 25"
Hammer height: 3"
Hammer face width: 1 5/16"
POB: 2 3/4" (approx.) above the rondel guard
The weight is unknown - I have no working scale with which to measure this weapon.

Handling characteristics:
With a point of balance so close to the guard, this weapon is both fast and responsive, yet has the necessary heft to deliver devastating blows. This is an axe which almost certainly requires two hands to optimize handling (unless your name happens to be Arhnold. Big Grin ), yet one can easily bind, block and strike with either the top spike, axe, hammer or butt-spike while still recovering quickly.

Fit and finish:
Arms and Armor are well known for their attention to detail, and it very apparent in this reproduction. The head of the axe is constructed in two pieces as was the original: the axe blade and hammer are a single piece which has been socketed to take the wooden haft and the top spike which fits over them and covers the socket (a sort of U shaped arrangement) is the second part. The "tail" or "tang" of the top spike covers some two inches of the langets and bears both the quatrefoil cut-out as well as the decorative "shell" as seen on the original. Two rather large quadrangular/pyramidal side lugs serve as both rivets to secure the head as well as striking points/parrying surfaces. These lugs/spikes/rivets are fairly sharp and extend a full inch from the surface. These lugs bear mention as they both sport a decorative "roped" border at the base.

The axe blade was delivered sharp, with a good "working" edge; not paper shaving sharp by any means, yet I have no doubt it would be able to cleave as intended. The blade also sports the trefoil cutout that is seen on the original. The hammer face has four rows of "meat tenderizer" projections: two rows separated by a quarter inch of flat surface then two more rows. These projections were created to give purchase against the glancing surfaces of helms and armor. It would likely be a thoroughly unpleasant experience to be struck by the hammer end of such a weapon as this, armor or no. Meat tenderizer indeed! The top spike is of quadrangular cross section which tapers to an acute point.

The side langets are fully inletted, much to my pleasant surprise, though the langets that run parallel to the blade/hammer are not (though this may also be a feature on the original). The side langets are secured with decorative rivets, which differ from the original A926 in that the A926 rivets appear to be one piece and the A&A rivets are of two piece construction, however, it must be said that this in no way diminishes their attractiveness. The langets which run parallel to the cutting/crushing surfaces are secured with hand-made nails.

The rondel guard is held securely in place via four steel rods which have been properly bent, the edges flattened, punched through and riveted. The haft of this axe is beveled as is the original. This lends itself not only to comfort in handling but edge alignment as well. The haft is stained an attractive brown.

Missing from this axe are the decorative punched dots which can be seen on the original. Doubtless this was omitted for economic reasons as it would have raised the cost significantly. As I stated earlier, I requested a butt-spike instead of the standard cap. This was fabricated for me for a marginal fee, but substantially increased the utility of the weapon. The butt-spike was originally of quadrangular cross section; of which the edges were ground to produce a somewhat more octagonal cross section tapering to a serviceable point.

Conclusion:
Arms and Armor have long had a reputation for producing detailed and accurate high quality reproductions. They continue to uphold that reputation. The Knightly Poleaxe is of rock-solid construction and visually very aesthetically pleasing with fine attention to detail. They have done an outstanding job in creating a worthy copy of one of the most famous and most recognized polearms in the world. I could not be more pleased and delighted with either the poleaxe or the Henry V and it's custom scabbard. I for one will certainly be a repeat customer!

I apologize for not posting pictures, unfortunately, my digital camera is in the shop. I'll post shots of both the poleaxe and the sword and scabbard when my camera has been repaired!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice Review there Brad, you should check with Nathan about doing some for the site. I've got one of those too and it's a very nice piece. I can also tell you from experience inletting the langets is a HUGE pain in the butt. Arms and Armor is probably not charging enough for that piece...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am totally jealous. Happy This is a piece on my "must have" list, and I have been thinking of it for quite some time. Thank you for the review!
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of those pieces from A&A that I long to play with, but never have quite manged to see in person.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those who haven't had the opportunity to enjoy this weapon, yes, it is awesome. Adding the spike at the bottom sounds like a nice touch. I would also be interested in seeing pictures of the scabbard for your Henry V - we see a lot of very nice scabbards from most companies and artists around these parts while A&A has generally been kind of quiet about their offerings. It would be interesting to see in detail Happy
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like that one! Congrats.

My Living History group (Lord Greys) did an impromptu demo once where one of the members fairly effortlessly put the top spike through one of those old Civil Defense helmets several times. It was impressive - even though the "armor" was pretty bad...

Gordon
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A "HUGE CONGRATULATIONS" to you Brad Exclamation

I really enjoyed your review of the Knightly Poleaxe! It was very well done and specific in detail, as well as being thorough!

I myself am a VERY BIG FAN of Arms & Armor and am waiting for sword number 9 from them, the Edward III Sword, I do not have the Knightly Poleaxe "yet", but I do have the Henry V Sword and I Love it! However, it is lacking a scabbard.
I guess you might say that I am rather "addicted" to Arms & Armor! Laughing Out Loud

Thanks again so much for the elaborate review of the Knightly Poleaxe, and now you have got me stirred up about it!

Sincerely,

Bob

Once again, Congratulations and reading your acquisitions Made My Day Exclamation
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new acquisitions, Brad. I look forward to seeing photos of all of these pieces. The pollaxe is one of the many A&A pieces that interest me.
Russ Ellis wrote:
... Arms and Armor is probably not charging enough for that piece...

Eek! Quiet, Russ! Laughing Out Loud

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new piece! I had been looking at that for some time and might just buy it now.

M.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
George Hill

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This yahoo group focuses on the use of the pole axe, if anyone wants such information.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/dieschlachtschule/

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pole axes, a fun weapon. I hope you have many fun hours of armour crushing enjoyment...

RPM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Just arrived! A&A Knightly PollaxeProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic