Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Nice job with the drawings, Peter !

Might be cool to offer a bone grip, on these Scot models, in addition to the leather ?

Just a thought *g* Mac

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ][ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
* Top Photo : John Wallace, "Scottish Swords & Dirks"
* Bottom pic : David Caldwell, " Scottish Weapons & Fortifications 1100-1800".
The Caithness just jumped to the top of my list, passing the Sovereign. I really like the looks of it.

Regards
Howy & Co., you guys have really done it this time... I've hung tightly onto my wallet through various temptations, but I'm powerless to resist these Scottish swords.

The Caithness will be finding it's way to my arsenal. How about a hand & a half version of the Laird, too?
I think the Caithness may just be the prettiest one of the whole lot so far. With both the cross and the pommel turned away from the hand, even primitive hammer grip users like me could handle it with comfort. It has the earlier flavour and interest of the lobate pommel combined with the later medieval practicality of the longer cross, plus my favourite blade type. Wonderful stuff.
As a side note, my personal belief is that the "two handed swords", which the West Highlanders were described as using at Bannockburn, would most likely have been a hand & a half type with a hilt similar to the 'Laird', as these hilts show up in the 13th century...
Do we have an approximate release date on these?
September, approximately.

Brian M
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Nice job with the drawings, Peter !

Might be cool to offer a bone grip, on these Scot models, in addition to the leather ?

Just a thought *g* Mac

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ][ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
* Top Photo : John Wallace, "Scottish Swords & Dirks"
* Bottom pic : David Caldwell, " Scottish Weapons & Fortifications 1100-1800".

Mac,
Thanks for posting those pictures!
It seems the five lobe pommel begs for further study.
Do you have more infor of that type you could provide clues to?
IŽd like to see more of these and read some more about them before I make the original waxes for the Caithness.
I like the five lobe with a prominent peak and narrow span. A beatiful 14th C version of a viking age pommel.

Interesting development!
So what time period are we looking at for the Laird and Caithness- I imagine 13th C.
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
So what time period are we looking at for the Laird and Caithness- I imagine 13th C.

Well, that is the thing with these Scottish types: they seem to be long lived and keep returning to old themes.
The five lobed pommel that we see on the Caithness is very reminiscent of the type found on 11th C "viking" swords (Those known among contemporary afficinadoes as "Transitional Vikings"). I think this five lobe type can be seen as a mix of norse(Norwegian?) and anglo saxon themes.

The sword type repersented in the Caithness could maby be found perhaps as early as the 11th C (?). Depending on the shape of this five lobed pommel it can oviously be found as late as the 15th C.
It is difficult to put an exact date on the Caithness as it is made according to a style representing a typ, rather than being a copy of a specific sword. The style seems to span a long period of time.
Even if it *was* a recreation of a specific sword we would probably still have to rely on effigies or representations in art to put a date to it. It is not always an easy thing to for some types.
I think it is possible to see some kind of development in the shape of this type of five lobe pommel from what is clearly a "viking" style to a more narrow and drawn out and stark form showing influences from wheel pommels with high rivet blocks.
While going through exhibits seeing swords that are not widely known or unpublished one can see variations of the expected shapes that really makes linear developments less probable and clear.

A short answer to your question: yes, 13th C seems like a probable period, but I would not be surprised to see such a sword in use (and made) both earlier and later (late 11thC/12th C to 15th C).
The blade type has its highest popularity in the 13th and early 14th C, but again can be found outside these periods.

Perhaps someone with better knowledge of the Scottish sword can provide some futher information?
Joe Maccarrone wrote:
As a side note, my personal belief is that the "two handed swords", which the West Highlanders were described as using at Bannockburn, would most likely have been a hand & a half type with a hilt similar to the 'Laird', as these hilts show up in the 13th century...

I think this is very probable.
Before the Claymore developed into the shape we now recognize it seems probable that there were weapons of war sword size hilted with the same style of fruniture as those single hand swords we see on effigies.
I do not know about surviving swords of this type intact with original hilt furniture, but it does not seem like a far fetched guess.

Another thing we might note is that there seems to have been a preference for medium wide blades with very moderate profile taper. Narrow or medium wide type XIII (a or b) blades seems to have been to the liking of Scottish warriors.
A warsword built along those lines would be a very interesting project.
Hi Peter & everyone !

I truly wish I could say I had more information on these interesting lobated pommeled Scot swords,
but alas my time machine has crapped out on me *g*

Most of the stuff I've read dates these pieces to the 3rd quarter of the 14th century on into the 15th ,
using the grave slabs ,& effigies, as datable sources .......
But I too am of the opinion that they may well be older .... just not sure how much ?

Anyways .....

Here are two snippets that discuss these West Highland beauties .....

The first is from Tony Willis , "Scottish 'Twa Handit' Swerdis", as featured in The 13th Park Lane Arms Fair catalogue.
The other is a page from Dr. David Caldwell's book "Scottish Weapons & Fortifications 1100-1800"

I wish I could find a decent image of Sir William de St. Clair 's effigy , at Rosslyn Chapel ..... but so far I've found none that show the swords carving detail ? ( so if anyone can find a good one please do share it with us :-)

Alba Gu Brath , Thomas

* Keills Chapel, Argyle, Scotland.
[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Hi Peter & everyone !

I truly wish I could say I had more information on these interesting lobated pommeled Scot swords,
but alas my time machine has crapped out on me *g*

Most of the stuff I've read dates these pieces to the 3rd quarter of the 14th century on into the 15th ,
using the grave slabs ,& effigies, as datable sources .......
But I too am of the opinion that they may well be older .... just not sure how much ?

Hi Mac,

Thanks again for good information!
I was a bit too quick jumping to conclusions here. I was thinking about the period of popularity for the five lobed pommel, overlooking the limiting effect of the specific shape of the guard. That was a mistake. Taken together with the typical sloping guard with spatulate arms limits us in dating it to the period it occurs on grave effigies.
1375-1500 for the Caithness sword then seems logical.
Perhaps it is possible that this style of sword might have developed a decade or two before it begin occuring on effigies?
Earlier versions with a five lobed pommel but without the characteristic sloping spatualte guard (in its developed form) might also be possible, even though there are no traces or remains of such swords?
In another thread, Howard from Albion has announced that these newest models can be purchased for $100 off the listed price for all myArmoury.com registered members. This offer is valid until Feb. 15. As if this isn't tempting enough as it is...
Nathan Robinson wrote:
In another thread, Howard from Albion has announced that these newest models can be purchased for $100 off the listed price for all myArmoury.com registered members. This offer is valid until Feb. 15. As if this isn't tempting enough as it is...

Hey, I forgot about that thread for a reason!! :p :lol:
Hey Mac, can you scrape up a picture of John Balliol's seal? I've been hunting the internet, and can't find one. I seem to recall his sword on that (late 13th C) seal as having a downsloping guard and a lobated pommel of some sort.

We had a few SFI threads on the subject of dating these swords, in the last few years....I'll go try a search over there.

It's frustrating when grave slabs are the only evidence, because we just don't know how long the sword was around before the fellow died, and the weapon's likeness was carved on his slab. If I were to die 40 years from now, and my favorite weapon -- a Remington 870 shotgun -- was carved on my tomb, the gun's design would be more than 90 years old at that point...

This is why I hesitate to be dogmatic when dating swords. Effigies can tell us the latest possible date a sword appeared, but the earliest date is going to require speculation.

:\
Peter Johnsson wrote:

A warsword built along those lines would be a very interesting project.

Thanks for your thoughts on these, Peter, and for the beautiful designs. An Albion version of the 'West Highland Hand & a Half" sword would be unique in the market as a top-quality, non-custom version of this sword... And I'd be among the first to buy one.
:D
Ok, before I make a decision, what I would like to know is if the guys at Albion are going to come out with any more new designs before February. Right now, the Caithness is calling to me :) .
Hi Joe

Ah, 'ol "Tomb Tabard" , 'eh ...... I'll keep my eyes open for an image of that seal !

Aye, we did have several discussions on these ..... always fun , even if we dont come up with all the answers, eh !

I agree with your thoughts on the dating of these swords .....

Slàinte, Mac

JOHN BALLIOL, who had the unflattering nickname "Toom Tabard" meaning empty coat, ruled for less than 4 years (1292 -1296). Regarded as a 'useless king', he was the great-grandson of David, Earl of Huntingdon, who in turn was the grandson of King David 1 of Scotland (1124 - 1153). He tried to stand up to the English, but he was not able to unite his people, so the war was easily won by England. Scottish nobles owned lands in both Scotland and England, and were divided in their loyalties to such and extent that now they fought on one side, now on the other. His reign ended in disgrace when he submitted himself as a vassal to a representative of Edward 1 of England. Dressed in only a shirt and underpants he handed over a white wand signifying the surrender of the kingdom of Scotland to the English King. After three years in an English prison, he was allowed to travel to France. In his baggage was found the royal crown and seal of Scotland, as well as money and gold cups.

Joe Maccarrone wrote:
Hey Mac, can you scrape up a picture of John Balliol's seal? I've been hunting the internet, and can't find one. I seem to recall his sword on that (late 13th C) seal as having a downsloping guard and a lobated pommel of some sort.

We had a few SFI threads on the subject of dating these swords, in the last few years....I'll go try a search over there.

It's frustrating when grave slabs are the only evidence, because we just don't know how long the sword was around before the fellow died, and the weapon's likeness was carved on his slab. If I were to die 40 years from now, and my favorite weapon -- a Remington 870 shotgun -- was carved on my tomb, the gun's design would be more than 90 years old at that point...

This is why I hesitate to be dogmatic when dating swords. Effigies can tell us the latest possible date a sword appeared, but the earliest date is going to require speculation.

:\
Hi Joe

I found a pic of the seal ... looks to be a downturned cross to me !
The pommel does appear to be lobated , ? , but it's a little hard to see ?

Mac

[ Linked Image ]

Royal Scottish Seals

3081 1292-1296
John Baliol
Description: Round, brown wax.
Obverse: the king, robed and crowned, seated on a throne with richly carved panels and pedestal and with crocketted finials. He holds a long sceptre, ending in an elaborate floriated ornament, in his right hand, his left is on his breast. In the field to the dexter of the throne is a shield of arms charged with an orle, to the sinister is a similar shield bearing a lion rampant with a forked tail.
Reverse: equestrian, the king in chain mail and surcoat, cylindrical crowned helm with grated visor, sword in right hand and on his left arm, suspended from his neck, a convex shield of arms charged with the lion rampant in the royal tressure. The heavy caparisons of the horse are blasoned with the same arms.

Size: 102 mm.
Reverse: IOHANNES . DEI . GRACIA . REX . SCOTTORVM
Misc.Ch. 632
[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: