Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Does your sword have a name/gender? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Tue 05 Dec, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Al Massey leafblade has been called many things: "The Black Leaf" (very original, I thought) and "Set's Tongue" (evocative, at least), among others.

I have an antique dagger, of unknown provenance, but fantastic quality, that is sometimes called either "Sticker" or "Pointy".

My Albion 1st gen Mainz gladius is sometimes termed "#^@& that thing's sharp!!!", usually followed by smarting fingers.

I like the old Viking-style names, too. Various combinations of the words flesh, shield, heart, biter, and cleaver are all very appealing to me.

If I ever get a beautifully blued, superbly accurate and extremely reliable long-slide 1911chambered for 9x19mm, it is going to be called "Sweet Thing". (grin)

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
David Martin

PostPosted: Tue 05 Dec, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My type XVIa is named "Walletsbane". Wink
"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Gavin L

PostPosted: Tue 05 Dec, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of the TV show Firefly , so there was only one thing I could name my new new Hanwei Hand and a Half (And my first steel sword at that.): Vera.
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Tue 05 Dec, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings All, An interesting thread. My Viking swords have names as well as the axes. My one Celtic sword has a name. My Albion Reeve and MRL Arbedo do not but that does not seem to be an issue with those two. As far as gender goes, I have never felt male or female either way. Character without gender traits.
I ran into a fantasy short story that was related to this. A male warrior had "female" sword which he carried and used most of his life. The warrior met this prince and his "female" sword fell in love with prince and wound up failing the warrior. The warrior went back to his master with this dilema. The master said these things happened sometimes. The master retired the "female" sword and set the warrior up with a "male" sword. The warrior and the "male" sword bonded as brothers and we have a happy ending.
The actual story was a good read and much better than my recap. It did re-enforce my feelings of not ascribing gender to my weapons. Laughing Out Loud Just my two cents though. Wink Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Tue 05 Dec, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Martin wrote:

Hahahaha, I love it!

www.addisondelisle.com
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin L wrote:
I'm a huge fan of the TV show Firefly , so there was only one thing I could name my new new Hanwei Hand and a Half (And my first steel sword at that.): Vera.

Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud That's great! I've recently been introduced to Firefly myself. I hadn't thought about using that name, though. We may have to nick name you Jayne, now.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
David Martin wrote:

Hahahaha, I love it!

As do I, but the question for me is which sword do I give that name to. Other than my Sherriff (my 7th Albion, so it cost me a whopping $5), they have all made their presence known financially.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I refer to my Berserkr and Vassal as: "The Amputator" and "The Dissembowler" respectively! Laughing Out Loud

I too am awaiting "His Majesty" King Edward III due this month from Arms & Armor and his son
"The Black Prince" is the very next sword on my agenda with a custom Awl point.

I adress these because I suppose I will name them "Father and Son".

Having a "most important sword" in my collection but not a favorite, there is one sword that truly deserves to be named and that is my first sword which is the German Bastard Sword. I must think on this Exclamation I spent well over a year contemplating over which would be my first sword. Definitely, it must be a name reflecting "Robust and Powerful".

Bob
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Several of my swords are Albion swords, so I just refer to them by their model names. The model names (like Regent, Sovereign, etc.) in my mind are masculine. My other stuff I just refer to generically "my ArmArt," or "the basket-hilt," etc. So there's no specific gender there.

For me at least, they're romanticized objects, yes, but still tools at their core. I don't call my reciprocating saw "Genevieve" either. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin L wrote:

ROFL!!!! Laughing Out Loud

So do you sleep with her too? Razz

(Seriously though, that show is awesome. All the characters are so loveable.....even Jayne. No, especially Jayne. Wink )

But back to the topic at hand.....

The only sword I own is definitely a wall-hanger, and I had no illusions otherwise when I bought it. Don't worry, this shall be remedied eventually, but I've been a poor college student for many years, and while I'm taking some time off between degrees, I am spending all my money on traveling so I'll be poor a while longer yet. Razz

My sword is the so-called Limited Edition Anduril from The Return of the King film. I've had it since a few days before RotK came out in theatres.....so that would be almost exactly three years. I am not ashamed to admit that this is the only sword I own....I adore it! I'm such a huge Aragorn-lover that it was almost impossible *not* to buy it. Plus I got it at a great price. Big Grin

I call this sword....dun dun duh........Anduril! Big surprise there, I know. I also tend to call it "My Preciousss" (but that is only when fondling it, or should I say "him"....yes, of course Aragorn's big phallic sword is male) When I'm swinging it around outside in all its un-authentic awkward heaviness, I yell "Elendil!!!!" at the top of my lungs, but that's just to frighten any orcs or small children that might be close by. Wink

Eventuallly, I hope to have a Migration-Era sword, an Anglo-Saxon sword, and a Viking sword.....at least! Maybe some of those will be from Albion too if I'm lucky! I also really want a good seax. And I've been drooling over Albion's Caithness lately.....oooh......sigh.....one day..... Sad

Thanks for starting this thread, by the way. Its very entertaining! Happy

Wa biš žam že sceal of langože leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For quite some time, a couple of years now, I have had the "Caithness" on my mind and have not been able to free my mind of this sword. I should have bought this sword a year ago before it went up in price, regardless, somewhere down the road I owe it to myself to acquire this sword! I especially love the hilt of this sword!

Bob
Gavin L

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shamsi Modarai wrote:
ROFL!!!! Laughing Out Loud

So do you sleep with her too? Razz

(Seriously though, that show is awesome. All the characters are so loveable.....even Jayne. No, especially Jayne. Wink )

Nope - she stays in the scabbard. Big Grin When I move soon I'll see about cabinet or a wall rack for her. I'm hoping she'll have some company soon - I've had my eye on the Practical Side and Mortuary swords for some time now.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have decided on a name for my most important German Bastard Sword "Otto The Great" aka Otto I Holy Roman Emperor 912 to 973. But I shall call it simply "Otto The Great"!

Bob
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin ~ Aww.....poor Vera, I hope she has some company soon. Wink

Bob ~ That's an awesome name, my friend! Big Grin

Wa biš žam že sceal of langože leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never really named my swords, except to make distinctions between them. For instance, my "large" and "small" rapiers are really the same overall size, it's just the guards (and the length of the grip mildly) that differ in size. But no formal names so far.

A few of the firearms ended up with names though. For instance, "knucklebuster" is my little .410 shot pistol that'll put the recoil right into the joint on your middle finger if you don't grip it quite right.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi,

my sword does not have a name and has never seemed to need the extra baggage of a name. If a suitable name appears some day - fine - but my sword does not seem to lack anything, lacking a name.

i guess it's a personal thing - i can feel an attachment to an object, animal etc without a need to give the thing a name. Some feel differently however.

cheers, Adam
Trent Stevens

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Otto the Great         Reply with quote

Otto the Great is a good name!! it seems quite strong! you've got my aggreement on the name. for what ever thats worth. = )

Ive named my Atrim

Bracken the Brash...or Bracken the Bold. pepending on what i do with him in the day.

seems quite fitting to me!

Trenty!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Does your sword have a name/gender?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: