Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Kukri and Falcata Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, I wil have to read that again. Quite a lot to try follow up again too.
Thank you Simon.

I just checked and on the base of your description the one I picked up once is a Mk2 and is complete with its bolster which is a more apt name then sheeth or scabbard indeed. I use it to chop my way though low branches on hrseback. Maybe not the most apt thing to do with it then Surprised and maybe I should by a machete or fabricate something from an old hoofrasp, but it does perfom véry well.

Ok, so the greek may ver well have brought the basic idea of the kuhkri to its region of origin.

As to the origins of the týpe I am still not 'conviced' as the greek did not invent this themselves just like most of what they did was a product of the world they lived in and the renaissance (and resulting 'inherited' follow-up) has greatly distorted our view on their role in history. That is not the issue however.
I am still researching but am inclined to think early distrubution of the evolved kopis, facata - type was a mediterranean thing predating the rise of the greek.

Supposing that the archetype was a middle eastern devellopment there is reason to assume that through the intensive trade connections with the indus valley the archetype was known there too.

Difficult, as it was a lóng time ago and we are looking through a magnifying glass at incidental fragments of a HUGE picture of 'condensed' time...

Thank you all for the VERY serious contibutions sofar.

Peter
Kostas Papados

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Sutton wrote:
Kostas, I think that was one of the best expositions of a theory I have ever seen on this forum! Cool

A couple of points occurred to me though: Is there any more evidence than just the depictions on stelae to suggest the form of hoplite tactics as depicted was derived form the Greeks and is not simply an indigenous form that appears like hoplite warfare? For example northern European shield-wall tactics appear to mirror hoplite warfare in many respects, but I don't think this suggests that the ancient Germans derived it from the Greeks. I'm not saying your wrong in this idea (in fact the theory seems pretty plausible to me), its just that theres only so many ways of using a spear and shield and just because one thing looks like another it doesn't necessarily follow that the two are connected.

The second point is a bit more general. Earlier on in the thread someone commented that the Greek Kopis was derived form the Iberian Falcata and that this developed from from weapons brought to Spain by traders before Greek civilisation developed. As far as I was aware didn't this happen the other way round, i.e. the Falcata was an evolution from the Kopis and that it was inroduced by Greek colonists?

First of all, sorry for taking so long to answer.

- On the topics used by the Indians. Unfortunately not much is known. Maghada kingdom (The major force of India that Alexander wanted to fight but his soldiers' mutinous intentions stopped him) is a mystery, when it comes to the arms it used. But Mauryans had 4 different troop classes, Infantry, cavalry, elephants, chariotry. The shields they used were different, much like bells (-pic to be edited) which wouldn't be good to cover the man standing next to you, thus advanced tactics like "Othismos" or "phallanx push" would be out of the question. Pre IndoGreek infantry mustn't have been nothing more than cavalry/charriot and elephant fodder. Arrayed to die. On the pic, you see orderly and line by line alligned men in their "aspis" round shield and overhand spear fighting and standing exactly like hoplites. I wish I could answer with some text from some book but the worst thing about the period, is the near absolute lack of written evidence . No Polybios here to shed light on doubts and misunderstandings. All we have are cave-writings, friezes, coins, religious texts and Indian epics.

- So far as who is first "falcata" or "kopis", I honestly don't know. Khopesh was prior to all of them, but really what some skeptic would say is that all of the above are just swordlike "scythes". That is not to say that there weren't influences, in fact I consider Kopis to be directly evolved from the Thraikian "sica", which also led to falx and Rhomphaia. I am not as well informed on the Iberians, and cannot possibly overrule the experts here. But I don't have to. Any sword that is being hardened in a slow fire for approx. two years as the falcata is reported to have been made, I guess it is easy to see why the Romani had such a hard time with Iberia, and such an easy time with Spear totting greece, in which the xiphos or kopis or machaira were all secondary weapons to the spear, and unfortunately not as well made as the falcata. I have heard of some falcatas that can be taken out of the museum, and used in battle. From what I have seen, it is a correct assumption.

-Before going any further, the advantages and disadvantages of this sword are as follows... Advantages: Ultmate chopper, can be used for thrusting. Doesn't break in battle because his shape cannot be structurally overloaded, when a straight xiphos would actually break. The disadvantages are the difficulty for it to get disentangled after piercing attack and that it isn't double sided, or if it is that the upper side is basically useless. Was it worth it. Ancients, even Romani initiallly seemed to think so.

-Now on the History by the Ghurkas themselves, I didn't set out to discredit them, or anything of a sort, and in fact I have read what you posted here, and respect it fully. The problem is that there is a logical gap of 1900 years between the campaign of Alexander the great and the first Historical use of a Khukri. I tried to estimate logically how we have reached from point A to point B. I see my effort as complimentary to the official history you just posted not contradictory.
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kostas, thanks for replying to my questions. Don't worry about taking your time, I'd sooner you did and gave a good comprehensive answer than shooting straight back and giving me poor one!

- As to hoplite tactics; I think the theory is very interesting and very plausible in my opinion. After I wrote my last post I downloaded the image and had a closer look (probably should have done beforehand), and the solders depicted do look very close to hoplites. Also, as you state, other Indian armies of the period used different equipment, for example different shield shapes etc. Its a shame there are so few sources of information other than carvings and wall paintings. Indo-Greek civilization is a very interesting field and definitely needs a closer investigation. Its interesting to note that Alexander was surprised to find that there were already Greek communities living and trading well beyond what was thought of as the 'Greek world' at the time so Greek influence must have spread to some extent.

- As to the Kopis/Falcata question; I decided to look through the, admittedly small number of, relevant of books I have and did a little light research. It transpires that there are two trains of thought over the origin of the Falcata. The first is that it developed from curved 'Halstatt' style knives introduced form the north by celtic settlers. The second is that it is a derivative of the Greek Kopis introduced by traders and colonists. I think the latter theory to be the most plausible. If the Falcata was derived form Halstatt knives, then why do similar weapons not appear any further north? Early Falcatas resemble the Kopis quite closely, especially the styling of their grips, which appear initially formed like birds heads as the Kopis, and later formed like horse heads, unlike the Kopis. It seems evident that wherever there is Greek influence Kopis-like swords appear for example Spain, Italy and India (with the Khukri).

- I think, as you have suggested, that the Kopis itself is probably a development of the sickle like swords found among the thracians and other tribes living north of the Greek states.

- As a weapon the Falcata/Kopis must have been a fierce opponent to face. The Romans certainly didn't like its ability to chop off hands arms and probably heads too! The Celt-Iberians were also master metal workers and Spanish swords were of superior quality long before Toledo steel. Probably why the Romans adopted the Gladius Hispanienss, though they found the forging of similar quality sword steel hard going.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Sutton wrote:
- As to the Kopis/Falcata question; I decided to look through the, admittedly small number of, relevant of books I have and did a little light research. It transpires that there are two trains of thought over the origin of the Falcata. The first is that it developed from curved 'Halstatt' style knives introduced form the north by celtic settlers. The second is that it is a derivative of the Greek Kopis introduced by traders and colonists. I think the latter theory to be the most plausible. If the Falcata was derived form Halstatt knives, then why do similar weapons not appear any further north?

There are similar weapons further north, but they're generally more narrow bladed, and either straight or have the curve near the hilt (so-called "crooked knives"), rather then halfway down the blade. However, single edged knives were used throughout Europe by that time, and it's at the end of the bronze age that you see the first real weapon knives come into use (such as this one:
http://1500bc.com/bronzeage/bronzes/nf_mes6_eng.html). AFAIK it's these knives that develope into the kopis/macheira/falcata and crooked knives. I do believe that the developement of single edged weapons in the early iron age deserves a closer look though.

Quote:
- As a weapon the Falcata/Kopis must have been a fierce opponent to face. The Romans certainly didn't like its ability to chop off hands arms and probably heads too!

With a kopis perhaps, but the falcatas were rather small, with blades of around 30-40cm AFAIK (the one I saw in Solingen couldn't have been much longer then 30cm).

Quote:
The Celt-Iberians were also master metal workers and Spanish swords were of superior quality long before Toledo steel.
Do you have any numbers on that? I've read multiple times that falcatas had superior steel, but that's a very relative term (workhardened 0.2% C steel is highly superior to none workhardened 0.0% C steel, but still nothing compared to quench-hardened higher carbon steel).
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
With a kopis perhaps, but the falcatas were rather small, with blades of around 30-40cm AFAIK (the one I saw in Solingen couldn't have been much longer then 30cm).

The recipe for the correct blade length tailored to the warrior was not to have it significantly longer than the length of his 'forearm' = from elbow to outstretched fingertips. Yes that is relatively short although 30 cm. would make for quíte a small guy.

Peter
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:

There are similar weapons further north, but they're generally more narrow bladed, and either straight or have the curve near the hilt (so-called "crooked knives"), rather then halfway down the blade. However, single edged knives were used throughout Europe by that time, and it's at the end of the bronze age that you see the first real weapon knives come into use (such as this one:
http://1500bc.com/bronzeage/bronzes/nf_mes6_eng.html). AFAIK it's these knives that develope into the kopis/macheira/falcata and crooked knives. I do believe that the developement of single edged weapons in the early iron age deserves a closer look though.

It think the falcata is certainly influenced by curved knives of an earlier period, but I still think that the major inspiration for it is the Greek Kopis. The Kopis and Falcata are all too often lumped together when they are in fact two different weapons. The Kopis is generally more slender in its shape, often longer with a broader point than the Falcata which is a more compact sword with a pronounced point.
Quote:

All the images I have seen of the Falcata show a sword of medium length with a length of around 60cm. There may be quite a lot of variety in the length of the blades though so I don't know which was the usual length. Also Falcata shaped knives do appear which have smaller blades. These were often carried on the front of sword scabbards as a 'by knife'.
Quote:
Do you have any numbers on that? I've read multiple times that falcatas had superior steel, but that's a very relative term (workhardened 0.2% C steel is highly superior to none workhardened 0.0% C steel, but still nothing compared to quench-hardened higher carbon steel).

I'm not an expert on metallurgy so I've heavily relied on my source for this, anyway here goes; There are many period sources which describe the high quality steel used by the Celt-Iberians. Tests have been carried out on fragments of sword steel that showed great skill in the tempering and cementation of the blade. The surface contained carbon to a depth of 1/8th of an inch decreasing until the centre of the blade had no traces of carbon. The carbon content varied on a harmonic scale with 0.4% at the edges decreasing through 0.3%, 0.22%, 0.09% and 0.02% to zero.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Sutton wrote:
It think the falcata is certainly influenced by curved knives of an earlier period, but I still think that the major inspiration for it is the Greek Kopis.

Yeah, but I meant the kopis/macheira/falcatas in general. Whether the kopis lead to the falcata or vice versa is another matter. I think it's quite possible that they developed side by side, and influenced eachother back and forwards.

Quote:
All the images I have seen of the Falcata show a sword of medium length with a length of around 60cm.
That's including the hilt I presume? So far I've only seen one in the flesh, which was at the Klingenmuseum in Solingen, Germany, which was pretty small:

Some other photos I've seen generally seem show quite short bladed falcatas as well. But I need to get some more direct measurements to be sure.

Quote:
I'm not an expert on metallurgy so I've heavily relied on my source for this, anyway here goes; There are many period sources which describe the high quality steel used by the Celt-Iberians. Tests have been carried out on fragments of sword steel that showed great skill in the tempering and cementation of the blade. The surface contained carbon to a depth of 1/8th of an inch decreasing until the centre of the blade had no traces of carbon. The carbon content varied on a harmonic scale with 0.4% at the edges decreasing through 0.3%, 0.22%, 0.09% and 0.02% to zero.

Hey, that's quite interesting! So it appears that they case-hardened the blades after they were forged into shape, rather then making steel first and working that into a blade. That's quite interesting, thanks!
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Jeroen Zuiderwijk"]
David Sutton wrote:

Quote:

Hey, that's quite interesting! So it appears that they case-hardened the blades after they were forged into shape, rather then making steel first and working that into a blade. That's quite interesting, thanks!

I can't seem to find the picture of it at the moment, would have thought that I would have saved it anyway. I want to say that it was in the Sanz falcata book. The picture was a detailed section of the blade and you could see a clearly different edge material from the body of the blade. It did look to be welded on rather than a sandwich style construction, but those things can be hard to tell just from pictures. So in some at least there is more than just simple case hardening going on. Sadly I had little time to put into translating the entire book and just had to hit a few section to re-confirm some of his thoughts from his other book El Armamento Iberico.

Shane
Fernando Q.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are falcata blades made with three different plates welded together when in the forge. Others were forged out of just one solid bar of iron. The quality vaires from indifferent to good, but few analysis have been made yet. But no traces of intentional carburation have been found. Experience and luck -a good ingot of raw iron with some carbon contents in it- probably made the difference.

IMHO there is no a direct relationship at all between falcata and kukri. They are essentially different artifacts. The falcata is a two-edged weapon (even if it looks a sabre it's got two edges in the distal part of the blade), apt for both thusrting and cutting. The small kukri is an altogether different instrument. And the big, two handed, sacrificial version is still another thing.

Also, I do not see more reasons to have the kukri derivate from the greek kopis than to believe that the kopis itself and the Bronze-Age khepesh are related. They only share a general shape, but differ in all important details: size, function, percussion centre, gravity center, hilt shape, fullers, etc.

BTW, it is Quesada-Sanz, not Sanz!

Best Regards

Fernando Quesada-Sanz
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Fernando...

Thanks for the excellent post!

And let me be the first to say welcome to myArmoury Big Grin

It's good to have you here.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Fernando Q.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your welcome!

In fact, I browse the Forums occasionally, and I'm amazed at the amount of knowledge here... if my academic colleagues realized how little we know about weapons in comparison...!

I only wish I had more time to contribute in matters I have researched, but at least I enjoy your discussions very much

Best Regards

Fernando
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: falcata         Reply with quote

Hi
a couple of minor comments. Just back from Madrid. In the Archaeological museum there, I noted, as Mr Quesada-Sanz has stated above, that the falcata on display had a very obvious 'back' edge, quite unlike anything I've seen on a khukri. Also, as regards length, they were small, as Mr Zuiderwijk has stated. I was judging by eye and 8 inch hand spans through glass, so I couldn't be precise on dimensions, but I'd be surprised if the blades exceeded 16 inch and they were probably shorter. A couple had handles closed over the knuckle. Lovely things. Silver inlay on blades and handles was particularly attractive. I didn't (couldn't) photograph and nor could I find illustrations to purchase.
that's all
geoff
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm terribly sorry about the last name mistake Mr. Quesada-Sanz. It is great to have you here. Your research has been a great help to many of us. I'm also sorry if we have at times been a source of frustration for you in how your work has been represented on the forum. There seem to be many misconceptions about these weapons and any time when you can help use better understand them we would be very greatful.

Thinking about it having construction of the better edge material as a core with the sandwich style construction really does make the most since. You would then have the core material also exposed along the back edge as well correct?

Shane
Fernando Q.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Shane, glad to 'meet' you,

Yes, the core material shows at the back edge in the falcata when there's a sandwich style construction.
As for size, perhaps this will be useful.
Out of a sample of 189 complete falcatas, the average lenght is 60.2 cm. THe longest is 71.5 cm. (from Cigarralejo, Murcia), and the smallest is 41 cm (grave 370 at La Osera, Avila).

But of course blade lenght is more useful. Out of a sample of 244 blades (more falcatas have at least a complete blade), the average blade lenght is 48.9 cm. The shortest blade comes from Osera (32,2 cm.); the longest is 61.2 cm.

Thus, there is a big range ofg dimensions, which is due both to geographical and chronological reasons. The oldest falcatas from the Southeast (Murcia, Alicante, dated do the 5th and early fourth c. BC) are the biggest, while the most recent from Celtiberia tend to be smaller. But of course this is only in general terms; you can still find a small falcata from Murcia in the first half of the 4th c. BC

Best Regards

Fernando Quesada-Sanz

PS

Don´'t worry about my name. Big Grin The structure of Spanish prsonal names is a bit different. We have a first name (Fernando) that can occasionally be composite (i.e. Fernando-José), then the father's surname (Quesada), then the mother's surname (Sanz), so that neither is lost, at least during the first generation.

PS2
Kirk, just to make sure. Did you receive my email?
Kostas Papados

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Character
The Rajput ethos is martial in spirit, fiercely proud, loyal and independent, and emphasizes lineage and tradition. Rajput patriotism is legendary, an ideal they embodied by choosing death before dishonour. Rajput warriors were often known to fight until the last man. The practice of jauhar and saka was followed only in rajput communities.

Jauhar
When the outcome of a battle was against the Rajputs, jauhar would be committed by Rajput women and children in the night and next morning men would commit saka. Brahmin priests would chant Vedic mantras and Rajput women wearing their marriage dresses, along with their young children, embrace sandalwood flames.

Saka

The next morning after taking a bath, the men would wear kesariya and apply the ash from the maha samadhi of their wives and children on their foreheads and put a tulsi leaf in their mouth. Then the palace gates would be opened and men would ride out for complete annhiliation of the enemy or themselves. Rajput men and women could not be captured alive.

When Hindus fought against other Hindus there were never any johars or saka because the defeated were treated with dignity. However, history records very few instances wherein a Rajput king sued for peace after a battle reversal and the Muslims initially agreed to the peace terms, only for the Rajputs, and their women and children, to be slaughtered upon surrender and once the pols or gates of their mighty fortresses were opened.

One example of this is war between Puran Mal of Raisina and Sher Shah Suri. The opposite is true for wars between Marathas and Rajputs, where even after battle reversals, no jauhars took place in Rajasthan.

from here...
http://rajputras.blogspot.com/

I posted in this thread 3 years ago writing about how I considered the Khukhri to be a spiritual or even direct descendant of the Kopis sword, left to India by the soldiers of Alexander the Great, who, after the Mauryas dissolved in civil war, along with the invading GrecoBaktrians formed the Indogreek Kingdom. They were then themselves subjugated to the Saka. The Sakas remained in India, known as "Western Ksatrapas until 400 CE. To this day Yavanas and Sakas are descrived as fierce Ksatriyas in the Indian texts...

Quote:

# The Manusmriti, written about 200 AD states that the Sakas (Scythians), Yavanas (Ionian, Indo-Greeks), Kambojas (Central Asians), Paradas (Sinkiang), Pahlavas (Persians), Kiratas (Nepal, Assam), and Daradas (Dards) were originally noble Kshatriyas but were relegated to the Barbaric (Vrishala) status due to their neglect of the Brahmanas as well as due to their non-observance of the sacred Brahmanical codes (X/43-44).
# Anushasanaparava of the Mahabharata also views the Sakas, Kambojas and the Yavanas etc. in the same light. Patanjali in his Mahabhasya regards the Sakas and Yavanas as pure Sudras (II.4.10).
# The Vartika of the Katyayana informs us that the kings of the Sakas and the Yavanas, like those of the Kambojas, may also be addressed by their respective tribal names.
# The Mahabharata also associates the Sakas, Yavanas, Gandharas (Northwest India), Kambojas (Pamir-Badakshan), Pallar, Tusharas, Sabaras, Barbaras, Dravidas, Boyars etc.. and addresses them all as the Barbaric tribes of Uttarapatha.[citation needed]
# In another verse the epic groups the Shakas, Kambojas and Khashas together and state them as the tribes from Udichya, i.e. north division (5/169/20).
# The Kishkindha Kanda of the Ramayana locates the Sakas, Kambojas, Yavanas and the Paradas in the extreme north-west beyond the Himavat (i.e. Hindukush) (43/12) in the Shakadvipa, adjoining the land of Uttarakurus.
# The Udyogaparava of the Mahabharata (5/19/21-23) tells us that the composite army of the Kambojas, Yavanas and Sakas had participated in the Mahabharata war under the supreme command of Sudakshina Kamboja. The epic repeatedly applauds this composite army as being very fierce and wrathful. Some verses of Mahabharata also attest that the Tusharas or Tukharas were also included in the Kamboja division (e.g.: MBH 6.66.17-21; MBH 8.88.17). ' Tocharians
# Puranic accounts attest that the Dravidas are Kshatriyas and are said to be descendants of the sons of Vishwamitra. Like the Kambojas, Sakas, Yavanas, Daradas, Khashas etc [55], the Dravidas were recorded as originally a noble Kshatriya people who no longer were initiated into the sacred thread due to their neglect of the Brahmanas as well as due to their non-observance of the sacred Brahmanical codes.[56]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ksatriya#Non-orthodox_Kshatriyas

In the previous page I wrote about how and why I consider that a large part of the Saka warrior ethos has passed on to the Rajputra of today. Khukri must be a remnant of IndoGreeks but Sakas left not just their diary, but also a Rajput practice

Right now, after reading this, I am more than confident that a deffinite link exists between Alexanders' army invading and settling Punjab in 326 BCE, Indogreeks from 180-10 CE and Indoscythians, aka Western Ksatrapas (who started Saka time still in use in India) reigning up to 400 CE. Their ancestors fought valiantly against the Muslim invaders, some settling in Nepal, others remaining in India, but still retaining age old practices, which bear the name of a big part of their ancestry, the Saka , even if, fortunately, there is no occasion for it to be used today.

Let's return to Kopis VS Khukri (falcata as a term was just created in the 19th century, therefore we can safely discard it)

The following is probably the longest surviving cav. kopis, found in Prodromi, Epeiros, Greece, now residing in Igoumenitsa museum. (Next to it is one of the very few surviving specimens of an IRON muscle cuirass). The kopis is longer and more slender than an ordinary kopis as it was intended to deliver killing blows while on horseback.
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
from here...
http://rajputras.blogspot.com/

I posted in this thread 3 years ago writing about how I considered the Khukhri to be a spiritual or even direct descendant of the Kopis sword, left to India by the soldiers of Alexander the Great, who, after the Mauryas dissolved in civil war, along with the invading GrecoBaktrians formed the Indogreek Kingdom. They were then themselves subjugated to the Saka. The Sakas remained in India, known as "Western Ksatrapas until 400 CE. To this day Yavanas and Sakas are descrived as fierce Ksatriyas in the Indian texts...
If you can show archeological finds of weapons that show a clear development from the kopis into the khukuri, which at least a few examples in every century between the possible introduction up to the earliest khukuris, I'm willing to believe there is a direct link. But so far I've not seen anything to close the 2000 year gap, and the vast differences between both weapons. They have almost nothing in common. Single edged weapons, particularly curved ones easily get linked by a lot of people, even if there is a gap of centuries or even millenia, between them, and they are nothing alike one another in every other aspect beside being single edged and curved. Single edged swords have a habit in history of being developed, lasting a few centuries and then being phased out again, to be reinvented several centuries later. The only true lasting single edged weapons are the Chinese jian (invented 2200 years ago, and showing a continuous line to the most recent jians and katanas), and the shamshir, which has lasted some 1000+ years. But if you look at the other single edged swords, like the khopesh, kopis, machaira, falcata, crooked knife, sica, germanic war knife, proto-sax, sax, messer etc. etc. Sometimes even virtually identical weapons are found down to the blade geometry, construction etc. centuries apart, with no evolutionary link except that they are both developed separately from utility knives. So I'm very sceptic on any link between the kopis and the khukuri, unless good evidence is presented to plot out the evolution through the centuries (including potential reinventions along the way of similar weapons).

Quote:
Quote:

# The Manusmriti, written about 200 AD states that the Sakas (Scythians), Yavanas (Ionian, Indo-Greeks), Kambojas (Central Asians), Paradas (Sinkiang), Pahlavas (Persians), Kiratas (Nepal, Assam), and Daradas (Dards) were originally noble Kshatriyas but were relegated to the Barbaric (Vrishala) status due to their neglect of the Brahmanas as well as due to their non-observance of the sacred Brahmanical codes (X/43-44).
# Anushasanaparava of the Mahabharata also views the Sakas, Kambojas and the Yavanas etc. in the same light. Patanjali in his Mahabhasya regards the Sakas and Yavanas as pure Sudras (II.4.10).
# The Vartika of the Katyayana informs us that the kings of the Sakas and the Yavanas, like those of the Kambojas, may also be addressed by their respective tribal names.
# The Mahabharata also associates the Sakas, Yavanas, Gandharas (Northwest India), Kambojas (Pamir-Badakshan), Pallar, Tusharas, Sabaras, Barbaras, Dravidas, Boyars etc.. and addresses them all as the Barbaric tribes of Uttarapatha.[citation needed]
# In another verse the epic groups the Shakas, Kambojas and Khashas together and state them as the tribes from Udichya, i.e. north division (5/169/20).
# The Kishkindha Kanda of the Ramayana locates the Sakas, Kambojas, Yavanas and the Paradas in the extreme north-west beyond the Himavat (i.e. Hindukush) (43/12) in the Shakadvipa, adjoining the land of Uttarakurus.
# The Udyogaparava of the Mahabharata (5/19/21-23) tells us that the composite army of the Kambojas, Yavanas and Sakas had participated in the Mahabharata war under the supreme command of Sudakshina Kamboja. The epic repeatedly applauds this composite army as being very fierce and wrathful. Some verses of Mahabharata also attest that the Tusharas or Tukharas were also included in the Kamboja division (e.g.: MBH 6.66.17-21; MBH 8.88.17). ' Tocharians
# Puranic accounts attest that the Dravidas are Kshatriyas and are said to be descendants of the sons of Vishwamitra. Like the Kambojas, Sakas, Yavanas, Daradas, Khashas etc [55], the Dravidas were recorded as originally a noble Kshatriya people who no longer were initiated into the sacred thread due to their neglect of the Brahmanas as well as due to their non-observance of the sacred Brahmanical codes.[56]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ksatriya#Non-orthodox_Kshatriyas

In the previous page I wrote about how and why I consider that a large part of the Saka warrior ethos has passed on to the Rajputra of today. Khukri must be a remnant of IndoGreeks but Sakas left not just their diary, but also a Rajput practice

Right now, after reading this, I am more than confident that a deffinite link exists between Alexanders' army invading and settling Punjab in 326 BCE, Indogreeks from 180-10 CE and Indoscythians, aka Western Ksatrapas (who started Saka time still in use in India) reigning up to 400 CE. Their ancestors fought valiantly against the Muslim invaders, some settling in Nepal, others remaining in India, but still retaining age old practices, which bear the name of a big part of their ancestry, the Saka , even if, fortunately, there is no occasion for it to be used today.

Let's return to Kopis VS Khukri (falcata as a term was just created in the 19th century, therefore we can safely discard it)[/quote] The falcata is the archeological term used for the Iberian equivalent of the kopis. So as we don't know what they called them themselves (although the romans named them machaira hispanis or something close), that's the name we have for them. The kopis as a completely different weapons. Same age, also downwards curved and with an enclosing grip, but that's were most similarities end.

Quote:
The following is probably the longest surviving cav. kopis, found in Prodromi, Epeiros, Greece, now residing in Igoumenitsa museum. (Next to it is one of the very few surviving specimens of an IRON muscle cuirass). The kopis is longer and more slender than an ordinary kopis as it was intended to deliver killing blows while on horseback.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/kerav...3198-1.jpg

AFAIK the kopis was only used by foot soldiers. IIRC Fernando Q. (specialist on the falcata/machaira/kopis) describes the kopis as used for downwards cuts primarily. This also shows in the pictorial evidence:

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
- Bronze age living history in the Netherlands
- Barbarian metalworking
- Museum photos
- Zip-file with information about saxes

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Kukri and Falcata
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: