Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Medieval Reproductions full armor kits? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Medieval Reproductions full armor kits?         Reply with quote

Hello all, first post with a question. First off I hope I posted this in the right area. I was wonderinf if anyone has personal experience with any of Medieval Reproductions full armor kits? I am truly interested in the quality of their work. Is their mailee butted or riveted? Do they make their own gambesons or buy them from another source? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Scott
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you're refering to this company..........................
http://www.medievalrepro.com/
.....................I have a helmet made by Peter Fuller but not a full harness.

I can say the helmet is of the first quality and represents some very fine work. The service is as good as the quality.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That would be them Patrick. Thank you for the reply. I'm kinda putting the cart before the horse at this point as I do not even have any weapons yet. I am starting to do research into what I want to get for my kit. Even though They do not have a kit that works 100% for me they do have items I can use for a basis of one. I am thinking of creating a persona from between 1275 and 1325 AD. More than like ly a man at arms on the continent who by luck and scrounging has put together a mismatched kit of decent protection level. So right now I am just starting to do the research needed and also come up with people who others have use and are happy with to start getting an idea of how much this will cost me. By the way, what helmet did you purchase if I may ask?

Scott
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ummm ok............. sorry i dont follow.

Quote:
crounging has put together a mismatched kit of decent protection level
for the dates you mention, it's pretty much gonna be mail, mail and more mail. maybe greaves, maybe some eastern lamallar, but its gonna be mail.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess I am trying to figure out what he could have put together in the way of supplementary armor besides maille. What is starting to become available during this time period? Like I said, I am just starting to do research and am hoping that the more knowledgeable folks here can help out.

Scott
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The coat of plates was in general use by 1250, and provides lots of possibilities for decoration - the fabric covering (or leather), fancy rivet surrounds, the plate layouts, buckles etc.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For torso armour a type of armoured surcoat/coat of plates can be seen on the St. Maurice statue here:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/violator/

(I know nothing about the site or who runs it-this was google searching for me)

There are greaves, poleyn's, couters and gauntlets by the last few decades of the 13th. by 1300 more plate partsin limbs come into use but I assume a more humble men at arms would have more mail and be a few decades behind the newest technology in armour unless in a knight or great lord's household of some wealth so deciding on a specific few decades might be advisable. Have you decided helmet wise? you have a fairly wide variety to chose from great helms, early bascinets, sugar loafs,etc.. Minimun requirements of Edward II reign for a men at arm is a bascinet, a aketon, and gauntlets (not including weapons) in 1320. Less than a decade later his son add's a coat of plates and visor to the bascinet but the original word in french could mean an aventail but I am not sure nor those I have asked.

RPM
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
By the way, what helmet did you purchase if I may ask?
Scott

Here you go: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_mr_vhelm.html

These photos more accurately shows the helms finish. The review photos were muted due to the excessive reflection.

Peter Fuller was a pleasure to deal with and I intend to do business with him again at some point in the future. I intend to build a kit around my Albion Svante and when I do Peter will be the one I go to for a sallet.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the answers all. It at least gives me a starting point. Now I can start putting a list together of items I would like to have in my kit.

Eric, very nice looking helmet. I am thinking of going with either the kettle helmet or one of the early great helms with the front mask only.

As I said earlier. I'm looking to go man at arms who started with a gambeson and maybe a maille shirt for armor who then added to his protection with battlefield loot as it were.

Does anyone else have any experience with any of Medieval Reproductions items? I am really looking hard at them to get at least my helmet and maille.

Scott
Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to say....Peter Fuller stuff is really beautiful, really, but way toooooooooo much expensive for what you got!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marc-Antoine, Do you have any suggestions for other manufacturers then of equal quality? Does anyone know if the Medieval Reproduction Maille is butted or riveted? I am looking for makers of quality riveted maille.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Marc-Antoine, Do you have any suggestions for other manufacturers then of equal quality? Does anyone know if the Medieval Reproduction Maille is butted or riveted? I am looking for makers of quality riveted maille.

Get Dressed for Battle is probably your best bet for riveted mail.
http://www.gdfb.co.uk/
I have a coif made by them that I've been happy with, as well as using their loose rings and rivets for work on my hauberk. They'll soon be gearing up their mail production and it will be available here in the states through Erik Schmid.
http://www.gdfb.co.uk/acatalog/Erik.D.Schmid___GDFB.html

Other companies like Historic Enterprises and Forth Armory sell similar things but their in-stock situation varies. Forth Armory hasn't had anything in stock for over a year, although I have used his loose rings and rivets extensively and have found them to be satisfactory.
http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m...t&c=25
http://www.forth-armoury.com/

I do believe Medieval Reproductions mail is butted. Having had experience with numerous armorers over the years I will simply say that I respectfully disagree with Marc-Antoines assessment and leave it at that.

You might want to give Best Armor a look.
http://www.bestarmour.com/index.htm

I've never dealt with them but many people have and seem to be pleased with what they receive.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Medieval Reproductions full armor kits?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic