Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Recently Purchased Short Sword / Dagger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Ronald Ryther

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Recently Purchased Short Sword / Dagger         Reply with quote

I am new to this forum / site, and have recently made my first purchase of a Short Sword / Dagger. I currently live in Germany, where I bought this item off of one of the locals who supplies the reinactment groups and Medieval Societies with battle ready weaponry and armor. I am curious as to what period the piece is modeled after, I am sure the weaponsmith could have told me but he didn't know English and I know very little German. It came with a one year warranty against breakage and has a full tang hilt (I gathered that from the literature around the tent). I have always been intrigued by the days long past and have done my geneological research, however I am just now arriving at a point in my life where I can start collecting pieces. Any way here are links to the pictures I took earlier this evening. Any help is much appriciated.

-Ron

I have a much better picture of the Pomel and Hilt but for some reason I couldn't get it to host... I will try again later.
J. Bedell

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ronald,
It looks like a 12th or 13th century sword. Thats about all I can really say, It is a nice looking weapon though.

Welcome to myArmoury!
-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Analace sword         Reply with quote

I might be wrong here, but it looks like a version of an " Anelace"......a short dagger-sword as described here.....

........" Like the earlier Coustille, the Anelace was a weapon that filled the void between the dagger and short sword. Contemporary to the Italian Cinquedea, the Anelace was often carried at an angle at the small of the back and would be the only weapon carried in cities, at court, traveling on horseback or riding during the hunt. This well balanced blade was of a size that one could use it to defend against a sword, but it could still pass as a dagger. "

This spiel is from "Museum Replicas Ltd." so I wouldnt cite it as entirely historically accurate without a book reference and you could certinally try asking them, but many of us have tried and never gotten a reply from them, even about buying their own products. To be honest, I dont know why Museum Replicas even bother having a web-site at all.

Anyway, I am sure that other forum members far more learnerd than myself could supply a more detailed reference and also might be able to supply us with historical details on the real 'Anelace' sword-daggers, if indeed this is what it is

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps my degree in historical linguistics and literature might come in handy for once.(Or not... Wink)

I believe that some kind of knife or short sword with that name was indeed historical, though whether it was designed exactly like those Museum Replica ones, I am not as certain. In the Prologue of The Canterbury Tales, Chaucer describes an "anlas and silken gipser" which hang at waist the rich Franklin. (Note that the Franklin wears this weapon while traveling upon his horse.)

Lines 357-361:

An anlas and a gipser al of silk
Heng at his girdel, whyt as morne milk.
A shirreve hadde he been, and a countour;
Was nowher such a worthy vavasour.

And just to be sure, I found a definition from my Middle English dictionary:

Anlas, sb. a kind of dagger, anlace, MD, C; anelace, HD; anelas, MD, NED.--Cp. Low Lat. anelacius (Ducange), OWelsh anglas.

Now, I realize that Chaucer was writing in the late 14th century, so this doesn't really have any bearing on the nature of the short sword in the photo, but I thought it was an interesting little tidbit nonetheless. Happy

Wa biš žam že sceal of langože leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
Ronald Ryther

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Dimensions for the Dagger         Reply with quote

Overall length: 22.75"
Weight: 3.86pounds
Width of guard: 5"
Blade: 16.5" long, 1.75" wide at base
Grip and pommel: 6.25"
Point of Balance (PoB): @ guard
Has a black leather scabbard

I spoke with a guy who spoke a little better English about the dagger earlier and he told me it is a "Traditional Medieval Left Hand Dagger" primarily as quick defense when unarmed. He said to come back later and speak with the guy who actually speaks English. You guys have been loads of help and I will try and validate the Anlas theory.

Thanks;
-Ron
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dimensions for the Dagger         Reply with quote

Ronald Ryther wrote:
Overall length: 22.75"
Weight: 3.86pounds
Width of guard: 5"
Blade: 16.5" long, 1.75" wide at base
Grip and pommel: 6.25"
Point of Balance (PoB): @ guard

3.86 pounds is extremely heavy for this sort of weapon - about double what I would expect for an accurate reproduction of this size. Some modern swords are built with very robust blunt edges to allow for "steel-on-steel" mock combat, so perhaps that is what your piece is meant for. Of course, the POB being located at the guard indicates that the hilt is heavily built, as well. For comparison, the MRL Anelace, cited by Merv Cannon, has a quoted weight of only 1lb. 10 oz.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shamsi Modarai wrote:
Perhaps my degree in historical linguistics and literature might come in handy for once.(Or not... Wink)

I believe that some kind of knife or short sword with that name was indeed historical, though whether it was designed exactly like those Museum Replica ones, I am not as certain. In the Prologue of The Canterbury Tales, Chaucer describes an \"anlas and silken gipser\" which hang at waist the rich Franklin. (Note that the Franklin wears this weapon while traveling upon his horse.)

Lines 357-361:

An anlas and a gipser al of silk
Heng at his girdel, whyt as morne milk.
A shirreve hadde he been, and a countour;
Was nowher such a worthy vavasour.

And just to be sure, I found a definition from my Middle English dictionary:

Anlas, sb. a kind of dagger, anlace, MD, C; anelace, HD; anelas, MD, NED.--Cp. Low Lat. anelacius (Ducange), OWelsh anglas.

Now, I realize that Chaucer was writing in the late 14th century, so this doesn\'t really have any bearing on the nature of the short sword in the photo, but I thought it was an interesting little tidbit nonetheless. Happy

Chaucer anlas could be the pre great-vowel-shift transliteration of a french anelace: don\'t you think that anelace sounds pretty french in origin?

Btw, the prologue of the Canterbury Tales has a lot of armor and weapon related descriptions, bokler and swerden for a start.

(Yes, i\'m reading it, glab, it is a beautiful work, heavy in archaic terms. Alas I\'m not schooled in old germanic languages so I have to stop too frequently to enjoy it fully. I have also found a few latinisms that haven\'t survived in english, either)
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:

Chaucer anlas could be the pre great-vowel-shift transliteration of a french anelace: don\'t you think that anelace sounds pretty french in origin?

Yes, that is one possibility I was getting at, since by the Middle English period tons of words were latinate (Norman French) in origin. That is part of the reason why Modern English has so many synonyms, and a much larger vocabulary in general than pre-Conquest. English is still great at incorporating words from other languages, and it currently has one of the largest vocabularies of any language in the world. But I'm sure you know that already. Happy

Sorry....I'm getting off-topic. Razz

Wa biš žam že sceal of langože leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
Ronald Ryther

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry about that weight thing, that's not the actual weight of the piece...lol. I coppied the criteria out of the albums on this site and filled in all that I could, I just forgot to delete the weight. I am not sure of its weight as I can not get it to regiser on my house hold scale. It does have rather thick blunted edges, and its primary use as described by the vendor is as a "Battle Ready" weapon for reinactments and such. It can be sharpened if one desires. I was going to try and get with the vendor again but didn't have the chance to run back there today. I will hopefully get there this week so I can meet with the English speaking fellow who can give me some more information on this piece as well as the others they offer. Regardless I think it's a rather nice piece... although my knowledge is fairly limited.

-Ron
Ronald Ryther

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Would this weapon be considered a Basilard? If so... what characteristics define it as such, and what period would it be from.... sorry for the redundancy, I am trying to learn as I go.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It just looks to me as a longer sword or sword type that was shortened or made shorter than normal without changing it's other proportions !?
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ronald Ryther wrote:
Would this weapon be considered a Basilard? If so... what characteristics define it as such, and what period would it be from.... sorry for the redundancy, I am trying to learn as I go.

A baselard would have a hilt shaped like a capital "I" or an "H" on its side.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An example of a type of baselard can be seen in our rondel dagger spotlight. Here is an image from that article:

Ballock dagger, baselard, quillon dagger, ear dagger, and rondel dagger

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Purchased Short Sword / Dagger         Reply with quote

Ronald Ryther wrote:
I am new to this forum / site, and have recently made my first purchase of a Short Sword / Dagger. I currently live in Germany, where I bought this item off of one of the locals who supplies the reinactment groups and Medieval Societies with battle ready weaponry and armor. I am curious as to what period the piece is modeled after, I am sure the weaponsmith could have told me but he didn't know English and I know very little German. It came with a one year warranty against breakage and has a full tang hilt (I gathered that from the literature around the tent). I have always been intrigued by the days long past and have done my geneological research, however I am just now arriving at a point in my life where I can start collecting pieces. Any way here are links to the pictures I took earlier this evening. Any help is much appriciated.

I have a much better picture of the Pomel and Hilt but for some reason I couldn't get it to host... I will try again later.

My group has bought some of these, they are czech products, no distal taper and a very thick edge.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shamsi Modarai wrote:
Bruno Giordan wrote:

Yes, that is one possibility I was getting at, since by the Middle English period tons of words were latinate (Norman French) in origin. That is part of the reason why Modern English has so many synonyms, and a much larger vocabulary in general than pre-Conquest. English is still great at incorporating words from other languages, and it currently has one of the largest vocabularies of any language in the world. But I'm sure you know that already. Happy

Sorry....I'm getting off-topic. Razz

Shamsi, I don't care if it is off-topic, but I'm pretty happy to see a gentle damsel profile among so many warriors.

Benvenuta gentile damigella!
Ronald Ryther

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The blade does have a distal taper according to the deffinition via the link in your post, it is thicker at the blade root v. the blade tip by a good majority. Either way I am not planning on using it for reinactments or any such venture, it is just the first piece I have purchased in what I hope will be a growing collection (the wife seems into it). I am just trying to find out what this dagger would be classified as, and what period it is modled after. If I got a bad deal on this piece then so be it, hence why I am trying to aquire further knowledge of such pieces.
-Ron
Sean Flynt

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks sturdy and thoughtfully finished, and that's a heap better than many (most?) of us started with. The cross is very attractive. The wire binding looks very well done, but is more typical for later hilted arms (from the mid-16th c. forward). You'd be more likely to see a cord/leather wrap in this period, and that's easily done if you want a more period look. You could even just put a leather wrap over the wire. The tip of this dagger is truncated and rounded for safety, so it isn't really intended to be of historical design, but the fuller seems like a reasonable choice. Call it a quillon dagger in the medieval style and browse the features of this site to fill in the details. Check out this reproduction medieval dagger from A&A:

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/dagg130.html
(shown below as well)

Similar cross and grip shape, but with an appropriate blade profile and leather grip wrap. Your wheel pommel is fine, too. It's an Oakeshott type, and looking it up in our Oakeshott materials will help you suggest a date for your weapon.

Oh, and welcome to the money pit! Razz

Attachment: 55.73 KB
dagg130c.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Ronald Ryther

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The money pit! Well I am sure it can be rather exhaustive on the finances but never more so than that of my other hobbie, I have been forced to give up due to my 2 children. I used to build and race cars, that's a true money pit! At the end of the day all you have for your hard work is (hopefully) a cup, a little coin, and fame, but truth be told all you really have is a beat up machine that requires fixing to make next week. So hopefully this hobbie will be more efficient and atleast it can be passed on to the kids.
Sean Flynt

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ronald Ryther wrote:
The money pit! Well I am sure it can be rather exhaustive on the finances but never more so than that of my other hobbie, I have been forced to give up due to my 2 children. I used to build and race cars, that's a true money pit! At the end of the day all you have for your hard work is (hopefully) a cup, a little coin, and fame, but truth be told all you really have is a beat up machine that requires fixing to make next week. So hopefully this hobbie will be more efficient and atleast it can be passed on to the kids.

You obviously have extensive technical skill and a tinkerer's mind. You'll have a ball here, because, once you know what you're looking for, you can find flawed but inexpensive reproductions and upgrade them with a bit of simple work.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Ronald Ryther

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is what I did with the other pic I couldn't get to host. I think it turned out pretty cool and I hope the information is correct...lol. It will be displayed with the piece, please let me know what changes need me made if any. Sorry about the font being hard to read, the file compression distorted it quite a bit. But using my coffee table (old world leather map top) as the backdrop gives it an interesting feel.

Thanks;
-Ron

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Recently Purchased Short Sword / Dagger
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: