Albion Squire vs Prince
I am looking at an Albion sword. What is the big differences between the Squire and the Prince for such a diff. They look and read the same accept for the guard and pommel.
[ Linked Image ]
Albion Prince and Squire Swords
A hands-on review by Chad Arnow
Hmm, I believe the question is which feature(s) justify such a large price difference.

This is something you should ask Albion yourself, but i believe it's because of the more complex pommel/hilt fittings. The prince's fittings are much more "3-dimensional" (more curves, facets, changes in dimension, etc). This leads to more work in both creating and then finishing these features...

Dustin
I actually prefer the look of the Spuire.
The polishing of the hilt components and shaping and fitting of the grip are more complex/involved on the Prince. The Prince has more angles to polish on the hilt components, etc..
Dustin R. Reagan wrote:
Hmm, I believe the question is which feature(s) justify such a large price difference.

This is something you should ask Albion yourself, but i believe it's because of the more complex pommel/hilt fittings. The prince's fittings are much more "3-dimensional" (more curves, facets, changes in dimension, etc). This leads to more work in both creating and then finishing these features...

Dustin

Correct. I like them both but question what is different in the swords to have such a price difference. $220 diff

is the blade the same quality and sharpness or lessor on the squire?
Will Bowman wrote:
Correct. I like them both but question what is different in the swords to have such a price difference. $220 diff

is the blade the same quality and sharpness or lessor on the squire?

The blades are exactly the same. There is no difference between the blades.

The Prince's fittings are simply more complex and take more time to craft/fit/polish. Time = money. For example, the Mercenary and Constable share basically everything but the guard. The difference in making the wax and polishing the cast guard accounts for a nearly $100 price difference. That's what Mike at Albion told me.

In the case of the Prince/Squire, the Prince's guard is much more complex than the Squire's. Its planes, angles, and surfaces take more time and effort to polish. The wax they cast from might also take a little more care to create. Ditto the pommel. The faceted grip probably also takes a little extra time to wrap properly.

The differences between the Squire and Prince are more pronounced than between the Mercenary and Constable. If the Merc and Constable are so different in price it would follow that the Squire and Prince would be even more disparate in pricing.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: