The Kit of a Teutonic Knight -- help!
I have an interest in creating a kit to match the Albion Ritter I will soon get. I seems a bit strange to have clothing revolve around the sword instead of vice-versa. I am interested in the Teutonic order of monks and I would appreciate any help I could get on this issue. I know only the very basics. Also I will need to know where to get (or how to make if it can't be bought) some of this!

A white tunic with a black cross -- but how long and what style? any cloaks?
Chainmail -- full suit or just a hauberk? what type?
Helm -- I'm assuming a Great Helm, but I have no idea.
boots -- beats me completely
other garmets -- again, no idea.

I will be ordering a Scabbard from Tritonworks once my Ritter comes and it is period accurate, so sword and scabbard are thankfully out of the way.

Thanks for your help guys!
clothes
historic enterprises
matuls (im going to get my 15c kit from here)
medieval design

armour
check out the links page
and jiri lucius (i dont think he's on there)

you will need the entire body covered in maille including feet fingertips and ears

best of luck to you
An investment in good books on the Teutonic knights prior to buying could potentially save you a lot of money and also help steer you toward more accurate pieces for your kit . In addition, you might find some interesting and historically verifiable gear that you might not have known were part of a Teutonic knight's period kit.

There was a recent thread about historical accuracy and now would be a good time to determine what elements are important to you and how accurate you can afford to be. Good planning now will help you gain focus on coming up with a great kit and enhance your knowledge of the subject as well. Best of luck!
The Great Helm would be appropriate. You could go for the slightly rounded top or more fully rounded Sugarloaf Great Helm as credible near the period. The flat top barrel helm was used for a long time but is not particularly comfortable, nor easy to pad well, nor gentle on the ears if you spar in it!

Many of the Teutonics were Germanic (Holy Roman Empire) Ritters and were not necessarily wealthy (unlanded and not traditionally furnished with significant equipment by their Lord. As little as a bear skin cape in fact.). It would probably be "plausible" not to have full arm length mail or mail leggings based on the idea of being a poor Ritter knight. This would help on costs and be more comfortable (less weight) as well.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: