Advice from the cognocenti
I have two early 17th C. proto-baskethilt reproductions and want to jazz them up a tad. My thought is to replace the blades with something from Albion or from Gus Trim. I handled such an original sword this weekend and noted that it actually appeared top be a recycled Renassiance or very late Medieval sword blade rehilted to the baskethilt. There was a neat lead shim used to hold the blade in a tight and centered configuration.

Could any of you fellow Forum members advise what blades you would recommend? Hopefully your recommendations will coincide with fairly decent availability. Something 34-35" long I imagine and a broadsword (double-edged) configuration.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
This is actually a tougher problem than it may appear. I'm in the same boat. I have some baskets I'd like to either fit with an appropriate blade, or refit with a better blade than is already on it. The reproduction market really lacks a good deal of variety for this purpose. Del Tin, at the prompting of the Mad Piper, created some great custom blades that worked well for some types of blades. I used one on my EB Erickson SW11 Sword. It really isn't appropriate for that early of a hilt, but it's such a great blade and I couldn't get my hands on anything better suited at the time. I would like to switch that out, use it on another basket, and find something better for the SW11t.

We need more choices for such things.

Like you, I'd like to hear suggestions from the community. It might help if you post photos, or at least descriptions of your hilts.
The hilts, Nathan are two Darkwood Armory hilts, the "1650" ans "1680" models. The blades are okay for Scott's purpose which seems to be enable martial artist with period fenching equipment, but I would like something a bit more compatible with my interest which isJacobite-era Scotland. Actually the blade I saw and referenced in the earlier post was from Donnie's magnificent collection. He was at a local militaria show this weekend with 20 or so of his pieces and rather than look at them from afare, I got a bird's eye, up-close and personal introduction. That is where I saw the blade in question.

Someone really has to incent Donnie to publish on his collection. It is truly awe-inspiring.
I've always thought MRL's Scottish Backsword blade would be a good choice for an early basket hilt. I considered replacing the AT on my EBE basket with that backsword blade, but then EBE assured me that these hilts are found with pretty much every kind of blade, so even the broad, single-fullered AT is plausible. So, maybe I'll use the backsword blade for one of those long, basket-hilted katzbalgers.

As for a Jacobite-era DE blade--I liked the blade of my cheap MRL Culloden. The hilt was pretty bad, but the blade was a nice DE piece with triple fullers. I filed the blade below the fullers to a flattened lozenge section and rounded the tip slightly. I wish I had kept it, and if I ever need a DE blade for a cutting sword hilt of ca. 1600 (or even through 1750), I would dig up one of those Cullodens (probably under $100 on the used market).

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: