Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Lars Hansen "Mantis" helm: sparring practicality? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ciaran Daly

PostPosted: Sun 19 Nov, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Lars Hansen "Mantis" helm: sparring practicality?         Reply with quote

Would any of you care to comment on this helm's practicality for sparring etc (the Mantis, not the Onikage)? Just wondering if it would be practical to wear (I'm guessing not as that probably wasn't the maker's intent). Thanks in advance for your time people.

http://www.albion-swords.com/inhouse/lars.htm
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Lars Hansen "Mantis" helm: sparring practical         Reply with quote

Ciaran Daly wrote:
Would any of you care to comment on this helm's practicality for sparring etc (the Mantis, not the Onikage)? Just wondering if it would be practical to wear (I'm guessing not as that probably wasn't the maker's intent). Thanks in advance for your time people.

http://www.albion-swords.com/inhouse/lars.htm

For nine hundred, would you really want to ding it up?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Adam Bodorics
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sparring with what? Steel, wooden wasters, rattan or padded stuff? My personal opinion is that the flutes would chew the softer ones (padded and rattan is soft IMO), but the harder ones (good wasters and steel) would quite much damage the plates. IF you can/want to disassemble and repair the fluted plates, or if you can afford replacing-repairing the softer weapons, it'd be usable, IMO.
But I'd personally buy several simple helmets for it's price for practice... if you ever get an extremely overpowered freak cut to the head (happens sometimes even without harmful intent, I've accidently crushed the hand of a guy with a very low weight double-padded practice sword), and the helmet damages beyond repair, it's easier to throw out a 200$ one than a 900$ unique piece...
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can you wear it? Yes. I've had one on my head - even without liner it fits pretty good and the eye holes give decent visibility. Would it take the punishment of sparring? Although the individual plates are a bit on the thin side, there are multiple points of overlap. So, for hard hitting SCA kingdoms, probably not. If you are talking the occasional tap from a light trainer, it feels like it has mass enough to take it. Would you want to spar with it? IMHO, if you are training in historical combat technique, it might be better to use at least historically inspired equipment for all the usual reasons (there have been previous discussions about training equipment, so I won't go off-topic and into detail repeating what has already been dicussed).

It is, however, a really cool piece. I was always curious as to what he would do to finish an entire suit based on it. Further, with the advances folks have been making in spring steels as of late, I think this would be a fun helm to try in spring and see what it can do.
Ciaran Daly

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the perspective guys. I'm getting the impression that if it was a piece you were going to wear for heavy contact (and no George, I'm not that rich yet Wink), most of you would rather it had heavier gauge steel or spring steel.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Lars Hansen "Mantis" helm: sparring practicality?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic