Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Sword's Edge? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: A Sword's Edge?         Reply with quote

Simple question here that I've been curious about.

I bought my Windlass Shrewsbury a month or so ago and ordered it sharpened. When it arrived, the edge was sharp, but not skin-shredding-uber-razor-edged sharp. This led me to question how sharp a sword TRULY was....

either Reliks (who I ordered it from) didn't do a complete job or swords were not meant to be very sharp. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the sharper a blade is, the more likely it is to knock chucks from the edge, as less and less steel was removed.

Anyone have insight on this?

(please note: I've never sharpened a sword (or knife for that matter) in my life Laughing Out Loud )
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Without getting into too much detail, a sword edge is not meant to be sharp like what we classically associate with a knife edge. Some people refer to sharpened sword blades as being "sword sharp". For Western swords this is either a natrual part of the blade's edge geometry, or what is called a secondary bevel. Read the reviews of the Albion Squire Line Knightly for some quick hits on that topic.

Another quick note, a sword with a knife edge would dull quickly against most any cutting medium.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

Grayson,

Some of the makers like Angus Trim and the guys at Albion, and some of the practitioners of Western Martial Arts may be able to answer this question in a little more depth, but from what I've learned, the sharpness of period swords varied depending on the sword's designed purpose. Edges could vary depending on edge geometry and what was expected of the blade. A heavy war sword may have a sturdier chisel-edge than a sword designed for "lighter" cutting against unarmoured targets (like swords meant for unarmoured duelling).

A lot of this has been discussed before; do a search for sharpness or sword edge and see what you come up with.

Another point, and one that I believe has been discussed before, is that Windlass sword edges aren't the best in terms of edge geometry. When sharpened, they can cut, but they aren't built from the ground-up to be sharpened blades. (This isn't a problem if you're like me and keep your blades unsharpened. I might get a sharpened blade someday, but I really don't have a need for one right now. It would worry my neighbors too much if I started backyard cutting; I live in a sensitive area that frowns upon such things. Not a comment on society in general, just my particular neighborhood.)

Again, do a search and see what has been discussed before.

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
George Hill

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it was intended to be a cutter, it would be VERY sharp.

Many swords were designed for the thrust, even cruciform swords. They were intended to thrust through protective gear of one type or another.

But a sword designed to cut would be very sharp. Sharper then many modern knives.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if handled well, a sword edge doesn't need to be knife sharp in order to do its job effectively.

a knife is used to cut by dragging a sharp edge over whatever is to be cut - the sharpness of the edge does most of the job of cutting. a sword is used differently - the blade moves quickly towards the target to cut into it on impact. in this situation a good cut will be more an effect of blade speed and dimensions, as well the placement of the edge. having a blade which is very sharp, that is, as sharp as a sharp knife - will only increase the likelihood of unfortunate accidents and damage to a delicately thin edge - while making little diifference in terms of the sword's actual cutting ability when used in motion, except perhaps against the lightest of targets.

when cutting, edge sharpness is one of the less important issues involved, much less important then edge geometry and blade placement - ie how the cut is performed. when cutting - technique, (speed, motion, blade alignment etc) are much more important then sharpness.

for clarity - when i say that very sharp is not important i am reffereing to the difference between a sword with a thin, clean workable edge and a sword with an edge you could slice tomatoes with like a kitchen knife. a knife is not used with speed and weight behind it and, unlike a sword, relies entirely on the sharpness of its edge for its effectiveness,

but - swords are not just big knives and should not be judged in this light.

cheers, adam
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might have a look at this spotlight topic that deals with sword sharpness:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1980

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Sword's Edge?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic